They think were idiots

rkr0923,

Your TV itself might have a Vertical-Horizontal-Tilt control menu. My Sony TV has such a menu. It is amaizing how just a couple pixels off makes the whole screen look like there is something not quite right.

DarrellP said:
Looks like Jim Nabors on steroids. :D

Ok, my secret is out...here is a picture of my uncles Gomer and John. Also, my nephew Basil is actually the Voom Guide Guy. :D

Attachments

• MyUncles.jpg
    MyUncles.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 128
riffjim4069 said:
Mr. Old School,

Your Roanoke locals look pretty weak (low-power and not many of them). Greensboro is certainly your best bet. Just in case you weren't already aware of their existence, I would like to direct you to the following sites:

First, find the lattitude/longitude of your home address:
http://www.geocode.com/modules.php?name=TestDrive_Eagle

Second, find your locals stations based on your lattitude/longitude (i.e. 38.976683/-077.348712):
http://www.2150.com/broadcast/

Since you briefly had a signal, I would certainly say you need an upgraded antenna. I would highly recommend either the Channel Master 4228 or Winegard PR-8800 eight-bay...assuming your locals are UHF.

Roanoke and Greensboro are about 100 miles apart. I will assume you are at least 40+ miles from Greensboro? If so, then your situation is similar to mine in Fredericksburg VA (55 miles from DC - 51 miles from Richmond). Prior to VOOM, I already had an antenna (CM-4228, CM-7775 preamp) bringing in DC locals. I had problems with the VOOM antenna install (long story), so I am currenly using my backup CM-4228 to bring in the Richmond locals. I have an remote A/B switch so both antennas will be connected and mapped to the VOOM STB after the upcoming firmware upgrade....STB will support multiple maps (DC, Richmond, Baltimore) and mannual OTA scanning.

My VOOM (Richmond) antenna is being installed on July 2nd (PR-8800). I just received an e-mail from Joe Harkins (Installs Inc.) and he is currenlty on the road visiting installers and supervising their work. I can assure you that Installs Inc. is taking the OTA problems very seriously. Joe provided me with both his work and cell numbers and I get the feeling he will be present during my antenna install...my deep fringe antenna will be working as promised. The moral of this story is that good things will happen to those who practice patience! VOOM/Installs Inc. is working hard to correct OTA problems. It's not going to happen overnight, but it's getting better every day.

Sorry so long winded...

Hey thanks for for the info and your insight! Let me give you just a little more background info. I have a tv with a built in tuner. Up until the Voom install, I was using a Silver Sensor antenna and I was picking up CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, and WB crystal clear with no dropouts. This is with the Silver Sensor pointed south/southwest out a window. All of those locals were in fact Greensboro locals, but even with the antenna facing south, I could still pick up WDBJ from Roanoke. With the antenna pointed north, I could only get WDBJ...nothing else. So obviously you are correct about Greensboro being the best for my locals.

The day of the Voom install, the guy checked my signal and I was getting a 96 when he left. We could not tell anything about locals because the receiver was still downloading, but he seemed confident that I would get all my locals. A few hours after he left, I could only pick up WDBJ, the CBS channel out of Roanoke. Since I am mapped to Roanoke instead of Greensboro, the other channels on the Voom selector were all Roanoke\Lynchburg channels and I could not pick up any of them. So the first day with Voom, I could only pick up one local. Day 2 and the one local I could pick up on Day 1 is now gone, which is very unusual because it was very strong and crystal clear the day before.

I called Voom and spoke with 2 different people. They asked a lot of questions about my area, tall buildings, church steeples, etc. I also explained to them that my $30 Silver Sensor was able to pick up everything but Fox inside the house while this supposedly superior outdoor antenna was getting nothing outside. Now don't get me wrong, Voom's customer service is great and they seem highly committed to me getting my locals, but in my opinion they didn't ask the right questions to get to the root of the problem. I'm wondering if the OTA module is bad because one day I had a channel and the next day it was gone. Based on what everyone else is saying, I should still at least have that one good channel.

Anyway, Voom is sending a guy out on Monday to "evaluate" my situation and possibly upgrade my antenna to a rooftop. But if the OTA module is bad, it won't make any difference if he mounts a rocket on my house, I still won't be able to pick up anything.

I also e-mailed Sean and he is going to see about getting me re-mapped to the Greensboro area, but again how much good will that do if I can't even pick up the strongest channel in the area.

Should I call Voom back and tell them to be sure the guy brings an extra OTA module with him or can he just pull one out of another receiver? As best as I can tell, Voom only sends them the exact amount of equipment to do their installs, so I doubt this guy is going to have an extra OTA module just lying around or is this such a common problem that they do have extras?

I thought I might try to hook the Silver Sensor into the back of the Voom receiver, but I can't seem to get that little gold box off the back. There is a twist screw that I can turn, but it doesn't come off and I don't want to pull anything too hard or mess anything up. So what is the process for getting the little box off the back?

can't find a menu on my TV for that setting.......I think it has something to do with the DVI, but I don't know. I did notice this.....Everything is lined up on 480p but change the receiver to 1080i and it's off to the left a bit. I've heard stuff about overscan???

Old School,

Don't have much time to post now, but I would dump the diplexor. They are nothing but trouble and I would not recommend them for anyone living outside an urban environment.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=102412&postcount=4
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052&highlight=diplexor

Quote from the Pre/Post Installation FAQ:

"The initial method of installation included a diplexer, a two part gizmo which effectively combines both the signal from the dish and the signal from the OTA antenna so that the combined signal can share a single coaxial cable as it travels from your roof to your HDTV. At the VOOM box another diplexer component would separate out the two signals again routing one to the OTA portion (8VSB module) of the VOOM receiver and the other would go to the satellite input.

Some diplexers that VOOM used in the past has been known to degrade the overal signal to the point of significant reception problems with OTA. Recently a lot of customers have used the diplexer without problems.

YOu can also have the installer run each antenna's signal via its own coax all the way to the back of the VOOM box and you'll guarantee yourself the highest signal strength for both antennas. Don't pay extra to have VOOM installed with 2 lines, it should be installed this way to begin with."

Anyway

I too have a HDTV with an integrated 8-VSB/QAM tuner. I use it to receive unencrypted local DTV (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, WB, FOX) from the cable company...the lifeline service is cheap because I still subscribe to their broadband service. I bring this up only because it may be an option for you as well, but only if it is CHEAP! Anyway, since the TV tuner is tied up doing QAM (it is a huge pain to rescan - have to rescan when switching QAM/8-VSB), I really need the VOOM tuner to handle all OTA locals.

a. If you're happy with your Silver Senor pointed towards Greensboro---and it sounds like you are---you could have VOOM upgrade your antenna and point it toward Roanoke. Sure, it wouldn't be much good right now, but the Roanoke stations will eventually broadcast at full power. You can use a remote A/B to swith between the two:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1968

b. You can have them point your upgraded antenna at Greensboro and rotate it toward Roanoke at a later time.

c. Get rid of the diplexor and have them run a 2nd line free of charge. If they charge you to run a 2nd line, send an e-mail to Sean and Wilt and request to be reimbursed. IMHO, the diplexor is the root cause of your OTA problems.

d. IMHO, Motorola makes a pretty good OTA module/tuner. The one in my 2 year old Mits works just fine and I haven't heard any/many problems regarding the OTA module. Of course, it doesn't hurt for the intaller to have spare parts.

riffjim4069 said:
Old School,

Don't have much time to post now, but I would dump the diplexor. They are nothing but trouble and I would not recommend them for anyone living outside an urban environment.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=102412&postcount=4
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=2052&highlight=diplexor

Quote from the Pre/Post Installation FAQ:

"The initial method of installation included a diplexer, a two part gizmo which effectively combines both the signal from the dish and the signal from the OTA antenna so that the combined signal can share a single coaxial cable as it travels from your roof to your HDTV. At the VOOM box another diplexer component would separate out the two signals again routing one to the OTA portion (8VSB module) of the VOOM receiver and the other would go to the satellite input.

Some diplexers that VOOM used in the past has been known to degrade the overal signal to the point of significant reception problems with OTA. Recently a lot of customers have used the diplexer without problems.

YOu can also have the installer run each antenna's signal via its own coax all the way to the back of the VOOM box and you'll guarantee yourself the highest signal strength for both antennas. Don't pay extra to have VOOM installed with 2 lines, it should be installed this way to begin with."

Anyway

I too have a HDTV with an integrated 8-VSB/QAM tuner. I use it to receive unencrypted local DTV (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, WB, FOX) from the cable company...the lifeline service is cheap because I still subscribe to their broadband service. I bring this up only because it may be an option for you as well, but only if it is CHEAP! Anyway, since the TV tuner is tied up doing QAM (it is a huge pain to rescan - have to rescan when switching QAM/8-VSB), I really need the VOOM tuner to handle all OTA locals.

a. If you're happy with your Silver Senor pointed towards Greensboro---and it sounds like you are---you could have VOOM upgrade your antenna and point it toward Roanoke. Sure, it wouldn't be much good right now, but the Roanoke stations will eventually broadcast at full power. You can use a remote A/B to swith between the two:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-1968

b. You can have them point your upgraded antenna at Greensboro and rotate it toward Roanoke at a later time.

c. Get rid of the diplexor and have them run a 2nd line free of charge. If they charge you to run a 2nd line, send an e-mail to Sean and Wilt and request to be reimbursed. IMHO, the diplexor is the root cause of your OTA problems.

d. IMHO, Motorola makes a pretty good OTA module/tuner. The one in my 2 year old Mits works just fine and I haven't heard any/many problems regarding the OTA module. Of course, it doesn't hurt for the intaller to have spare parts.

The only problem is that this Winegard antenna apparently has to have power to work so that is the reason my installer told me that he HAD to put the diplexer on.

occammd said:
Old School.

Are you sure they don't have the stealth aimed backwards?

It's not a stealth, it's a Winegard. It's supposed to be bi directional, but he has it pointed in the exact same direction as the satellite, which is south, correct?

Would it help to turn the Winegard so it's facing north?

Below is a pic of the antenna I have.

gs2000.jpg

It's the Winegard Sensar II, model GS-2000A. How far are you from the Greensboro towers? Personally, I wouldn't use this antenna outside...oh, say 20 or so miles (metro area).

In your previous post, you mentioned the installer is coming back Monday to upgrade the antenna. Hopefully, you'll get a directional PR-8800 or CM-4228???

riffjim4069 said:
It's the Winegard Sensar II, model GS-2000A. How far are you from the Greensboro towers? Personally, I wouldn't use this antenna outside...oh, say 20 or so miles (metro area).

In your previous post, you mentioned the installer is coming back Monday to upgrade the antenna. Hopefully, you'll get a directional PR-8800 or CM-4228???

I'm about 40-45 miles from the Greensboro towers. I just received an e-mail from Installs Inc. telling me the guy would be here between 8 and 12 Monday morning. Hopefully, they will figure it out. :confused:

Do you have approval for an upgraded antenna? I know it's a pain, but you need to contact VOOM, Installs Inc. and the local installer to make sure nobody dropped the ball.

Anyway, let us know what happens! Perhaps we should post all this stuff in another thread?

riffjim4069 said:
Do you have approval for an upgraded antenna? I know it's a pain, but you need to contact VOOM, Installs Inc. and the local installer to make sure nobody dropped the ball.

Anyway, let us know what happens! Perhaps we should post all this stuff in another thread?

Well when I last talked to Voom yesterday, they were sending a guy out to "evaluate" my situation and she said more than likely upgrade the antenna at no charge to me. I received an e-mail from Installs Inc. a bit ago confirming the guy will be here Monday between 8 AM and noon. It is the same guy that installed my dish and I have his cell phone number so I might give him a call over the weekend to just touch base with him. He did a great job installing the dish and after talking with him I found out that he had done over 80 Voom installs. He admitted that of those 80 he had picked up about 60 of them. I asked him the main reason everyone was having them picked up and he quickly said that the main reason was because of the locals or lack thereof. He also said that the early versions of the receivers were crap, but assured me that the one I was getting was the newest and best model to date. He was pretty sharp so I hope that we can resolve this fairly easy on Monday.

You may want to mention to him about the channel you had suddenly not working. that seems strange and if he brings a new OTA module at least you have all of your bases covered. If you get upgraded to the PR 8800 he can remove the diplexor and just run a seperate line.

wasch_24 said:
You may want to mention to him about the channel you had suddenly not working. that seems strange and if he brings a new OTA module at least you have all of your bases covered. If you get upgraded to the PR 8800 he can remove the diplexor and just run a seperate line.

I checked my OTA signal this morning and it was 19. I guess that explains why I'm not getting anything, huh? Let me ask you this...with the Winegard Sensar II being a bi-directional antenna, does it really matter which direction it's pointing in? He actually has it facing the same direction as the satellite, which is south. Seeing how all my locals are north as of this time, would it matter if I turned the antenna to face north or does it pick up as well in back as it does in front? Of course it doesn't help that my locals to the north are 80 miles away and the ones in the south are 40 miles away, yet I am mapped to the north.

you need south and you need a directional antenna at 40 miles IMO. SOunds Like a job for the channelmaster 4228 (good for 60 miles, 40 miles would be perfect for it. It can be had for 49.95 online). Id throw that deformed, flattened coat hanger sensor II they call an antenna in the trash.

Hey, I just noticed this little tidbit from rkr0923, aka little turd buddy, in another thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=133488&postcount=16

rkr0923 said:
My install is set for 07-07-04. It's simple, if I don't like it, I'll redo it all myself and then I'll know it's right. I would urge all you complainers to do this. No need to be Rocket Scientist or a Harvard Grad to do this. A little common since goes along way.

Yes, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist nor Harvard Grad to do this...just someone with brain activity! You possess no common sense! You are a complainer, a whiner and a dolt; you have no credibility in this forum!

Were all tared of dis thread so pleaz close ut. :D

Yikes!!!

vurbano said:
you need south and you need a directional antenna at 40 miles IMO. SOunds Like a job for the channelmaster 4228 (good for 60 miles, 40 miles would be perfect for it. It can be had for 49.95 online). Id throw that deformed, flattened coat hanger sensor II they call an antenna in the trash.

Concur!!! Get the CM-4228 or PR-8800.

can someone tell me what a "dolt" is.
and besides. no one has said anything for a few days, till you came along

Mr. Old School said:
He admitted that of those 80 he had picked up about 60 of them. I asked him the main reason everyone was having them picked up and he quickly said that the main reason was because of the locals or lack thereof.

Wow, that's an incredible 75% failure rate!

The basic VOOM antenna should work fine for most folks in an Urban/Metro area. Many of the installation headaches are attributed to the installers not understanding antenna basics.

Folks living in fringe, deep-fringe and rural areas are disadvantaged by a factor of 10 or greater:

1. Installers don't know antenna basics. Just look at how many don't "walk the roof" and don't have all-channel analog/digital signal level meter. IMHO all VOOM installers should possess, and know how to operate, something like this http://www.sencore.com/products/slm1453.htm. My installer didn't even possess a $3 compass.
2. Installers certainly don't know fringe/deep-fringe antenna basics. If so, they wouldn't insist on using a diplexor.
3. There are fewer broadcasters in rural areas and a greater percentage of them broadcast at low-power. This combo alone sure makes DirecTV or cable a more viable option for locals.
4. Installers are poorly compensated. This is perhaps the #1 issue that Voom needs to address. I certainly wouldn't spend 2 hours of my time and risk life & limb for mere peanuts...would you?

I hate to admit this, but perhaps VOOM should not accept new service orders from many rural areas. This is strictly a budgetary consideration based on the failure rate noted above...not until they have national feeds later this fall to serve the rural community. :confused:

Riff...<EOT>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)