Tivo vs Tablo

No experience with Tivo, but just wanted to let you know that I have been using the Tablo for about a year now, and it has been totally flawless. Thought that I would throw in my "2 cents" since no one else has responded yet.

Does the Tablo support surround sound?

There's a long "Official Tablo" thread on AVSForum that offers a whole lot of insights as well as conflicting stories on the DD5.1 issue. Results run the gamut. Channel changing speed (15-30 seconds) may be a concern but if you're channel surfing with a DVR you may have bigger issues. ;) There are also comparisons between various TiVos and the Tablo.

I think they want way too much money for the Tablo given that it doesn't drive the TV directly (a Tablo app enabled device is required in the line somewhere).

Amazon has a considerable array of Q&A's on both brands but you need to make sure you discount the older questions as today's Tablo firmware is a lot more capable than it used to be.

Since you need a fairly capable streamer to facilitate the connection to the TV, the inclusion of web streaming features in the Tablo seems pretty stupid.

Reactions: primestar31
CCI is a Cable provider.
Hence the importance of not using Three-Letter Acronyms without first clearly defining them. It is especially important in this case because CCI means two distinctly different things in the context of TiVo and one of them could actually be important to someone looking into OTA DVRs. We are in an OTA forum after all.:no

I can only contribute to one side of the question, but will in case it helps anyone.

Tablo has come a long way. I've had mine a few years...started with a 2-tuner, now with the four. It is very stable, but like anything these days requires a good stable internet connection for distribution. There are regular updates to the software, and, it's not "geofenced" to the best of my knowledge. (A friend of mine travels the Ukraine and uses my living room TV recordings and live TV when over there.) Don't know if Tivo is limited in what countries it can be viewed via the internet. I use mainly the ROKU interface, but have occasionally used the PC version during bad weather as I can have all my local TV stations' weather radar available in my radio studio without relying on the individual stations' internet feeds which may slow down during high usage.

I've found the Tablo team to be very responsive to questions, and have been able to upgrade my hard drive and transfer content easily with the help of the Tablo community forums online.

Cost of the guide is 1/3 that of Tivo, and, unlike some guides, if the name of the program changes, it won't miss recording the program. I found this out when CBS Sunday Morning's official name changed with Charles Osgood's retirement. There was talk of some other OTA recording devices missing the "new" shows, but my Tablo never missed a beat. Tuner is sensitive, does well in my area...

Remember, Tablo has no direct output to a TV or monitor, it relies on apps installed on your device(s) to work, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. We're all used to that these days.

Happy to address any specific questions about Tablo...as needed.

Oh, and no contracts are needed on the guide, unlike Tivo, which even on a used box will get you for a year's minimum the last time I had one in my posession and considered activating. Tivo offered no "month to month" service. That may have changed, depending on their business models. Not sure.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I can only contribute to one side of the question, but will in case it helps anyone.

Tablo has come a long way. I've had mine a few years...started with a 2-tuner, now with the four. It is very stable, but like anything these days requires a good stable internet connection for distribution. There are regular updates to the software, and, it's not "geofenced" to the best of my knowledge. (A friend of mine travels the Ukraine and uses my living room TV recordings and live TV when over there.) Don't know if Tivo is limited in what countries it can be viewed via the internet. I use mainly the ROKU interface, but have occasionally used the PC version during bad weather as I can have all my local TV stations' weather radar available in my radio studio without relying on the individual stations' internet feeds which may slow down during high usage.

I've found the Tablo team to be very responsive to questions, and have been able to upgrade my hard drive and transfer content easily with the help of the Tablo community forums online.

Cost of the guide is 1/3 that of Tivo, and, unlike some guides, if the name of the program changes, it won't miss recording the program. I found this out when CBS Sunday Morning's official name changed with Charles Osgood's retirement. There was talk of some other OTA recording devices missing the "new" shows, but my Tablo never missed a beat. Tuner is sensitive, does well in my area...

Remember, Tablo has no direct output to a TV or monitor, it relies on apps installed on your device(s) to work, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. We're all used to that these days.

Oh, and no contracts are needed on the guide, unlike Tivo, which even on a used box will get you for a year's minimum the last time I had one in my posession and considered activating. Tivo offered no "month to month" service. That may have changed, depending on their business models. Not sure.

Tivo Roamio OTA includes lifetime service in the purchase price which varies between $200 and $400 depending on sales. I find it hard to go without skipmode once one starts using it. Tivo has made this a must have feature.

Guess I can't miss what I've not had, and for me, $5/mo takes a long time to add up to the cost of the lifetime upgrade on Tivo. There is a similar "lifetime" available for Tablo, but...I've been happy with the month to month for a long time. It also helps support the company, which I'm happy to do.

Does Tivo allow you to have your service apply to ALL units? I don't know...

With Tablo, once you have the account, you're good on all Tablo devices you may add or own. In their words, "Your Tablo subscription is tied to YOU, not a specific device. You can associate multiple Tablo DVRs or upgrade to a new device and keep your existing subscription." I can see where this would be great for folks with a summer or winter getaway home in addition to their main place of living, or for multiple tablo units in a house.

It's safe to say both brands are a good value....it's a matter of choice and features most important to the user.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Roku and other streaming device remotes don't have keypads, how do you change channels?

Where have you found the OTA Tivo for $200? Or for that matter, for anything less than $400?

TiVo has sales various times throughout the year. I have 5 Roamios. 2 of them OTA’s. First one I got for $199 during a TiVo white sale around Christmas, 2nd one I got for $249 during a cyber Monday sale. They have regularly been on sale at $299.

Our company president has a full size Echo on his desk. Working- I tested it when he stepped out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)