to you laserdisc guys?

I was an LD adopter and still have a working LD player hooked up to my HD TV. It looks like CRAP compared to a new DVD. :) But that the time there was nothing better. I will never do that again. I estimate about $1000 of equipment and software that will soon be unusable.

The two biggest problems with LD were 1) Only one hour playing time per side of 12" discs in the CLV mode (No pause or slow-mo, arguably poorer pix than CAV) and about 30 minutes per side in CAV mode. My copy of Close Encounters in CAV is a three Disc (5 side) set. The Stand (CLV) is a 3 disc 6 side set with all 8 episodes shoved in with beginning and end points of the individual shows where ever they fall in the middle of the disc to fit them on three discs instead of 4.
2) The outrageous prices of the media. A "cheap" movie was at least $40. Tapes were going for half that or less! A Criterion Collection movie would run you $100 easy!

A got a two sided LD player because I worked at a retail store at the time and got a cheap floor model price. MISTAKE!!! I enjoyed for a while, but I will NEVER do that again.

See ya
Tony

(BTW I was able to find any title at the local Camelot Music! --- they're out of business too....probably from eating the enormous inventory of LDs :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts