trouble shooting openbox

Status
Please reply by conversation.

msrebel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 23, 2006
Just hooked up my openbox receiver using the hdmi cable, I tried to change the format to 1080 using the v-format button and lost video. I tried rebooting the receiver and still no luck. It says at the bottom of the screen unsupported signal please check the output. I have already scanned in w3 and was getting a beautiful picture and now no picture.

Keep pushing the v-format button. Give it a little time to take hold between each pushing to see what happens. Others have had that issue and this seemed to work. Good luck.

I almost accidentally pressed that #@$*ed button this morning when I was reaching for the DVR Info button. I might have to perform surgery to my remote, that sounds like a nasty button to press.

Msrebel,

If you connect the AV composite output to a tv that accepts that you should be able to see enough to navigate the menu's to the "tv system" then "video resolution" where you can find a setting that works for you. You may have a rolling screen and a nag box on it, just peek around it to get back. After this, don't push the V-format button EVER. Use the menu's to change video settings.
I popped the remote apart and put tape on the circuit board under this button to disable it.

Jim

Pixl I unhooked the hdmi cable and hooked up the composite cables and got video on the screen but it is a b&w screen. The picture is kind of jumping and in the middle of the screen its got a box that says No OSD Show,Press V.Format Key to Switch. I tried the menu button but it will not bring up the menu just this screen. Should I push the format button now?

Pixl I unhooked the hdmi cable and hooked up the composite cables and got video on the screen but it is a b&w screen. The picture is kind of jumping and in the middle of the screen its got a box that says No OSD Show,Press V.Format Key to Switch. I tried the menu button but it will not bring up the menu just this screen. Should I push the format button now?

Obviously i am not Pixl,but yes push the v-format button then wait for seconds to see if it kicks in.Do this untill you get a stable screen!

Ms,

I just tried this "blind" procedure.

1) Turn off switch on the back for a few seconds, then power up. Wait a minute or two for your picture to slowly return.
At this point you probably have a rolling picture with a nag box message "NO OSD DISPLAY"

2) Press menu once, tv show (if you even had one) disappears. Just rolling nag box now.

3) Press arrow down two times. This is where you are blind from here on (you are on the third line of the system setup page).

4) Right arrow once (this is language selection) then down once (this is tv system) press "OK" to select

5) You are now sitting where we want to be on the "Video Resolution" Press arrow right, wait 30 sec and right arrow again wait again. There are seven selections in here, keep pushing then wait each time until you see where you are in the menu. Then select the mode you need.

I use 1080i_60, auto, yuv, lpcm out for these settings with my hdmi tv output.
For the composite to work with older tv's select 480i.

EDIT: never push the V format key again. This takes you to European settings only. Use the menu's for any video mode changes you want to try.

Jim

Last edited:
To Pixl and everybody appreciate the help, the problem is solved. Thanks

It's a pain in the butt! I ran into this on my brothers openbox I was trying to hook up for him yesterday. I told him to please invest in an HDTV asap and use HDMI hookup... lol...Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)