Updates on the Launch of DIRECTV 10

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually I guess its Louisiana where things are different. You are dead wrong on this one.

Yep...they are different. A lot of the installs I've seen actually have antennas next to the dish or the little clip ons which work well in the metro areas. Too bad your retailers don't up-sell in your area. Shame on them...

Yep...they are different. A lot of the installs I've seen actually have antennas next to the dish or the little clip ons which work well in the metro areas. Too bad your retailers don't up-sell in your area. Shame on them...

I guess - but one small favor please. Can we get back to topic? Thanks.

I guess - but one small favor please. Can we get back to topic? Thanks.

No problem...

Bring it on DirecTV! Steal the HD leader status from DishNetwork. I can't wait for the HD competition war to start. We are already seeing some cable networks preparing their systems. Once they rev up they'll blow DirecTV and DishNetwork out of the water.

Once they rev up they'll blow DirecTV and DishNetwork out of the water.[/QUOTE]

Verizon FIOS, unlike those carriers who merely promise or plan, has already done it-it's just that almost no one can get it, and wiring up the world with fiber optics will take a long, long time. But, that nifty little fiber can carry more to your house than all of the D* satellites.

All of this is good for us-consumers win every time any provider makes an advance.

No problem...

We are already seeing some cable networks preparing their systems. Once they rev up they'll blow DirecTV and DishNetwork out of the water.

Hardly, you really think cable will blow away D* and DISH ???

How many HD channels do you expect to be on and in what time frame, I doubt that cable will have bandwidth to have over a hundred channels, even if they do change the way thet they send thier singals to the sub.

Jimbo

Once they rev up they'll blow DirecTV and DishNetwork out of the water.

Verizon FIOS, unlike those carriers who merely promise or plan, has already done it-it's just that almost no one can get it, and wiring up the world with fiber optics will take a long, long time. But, that nifty little fiber can carry more to your house than all of the D* satellites.

All of this is good for us-consumers win every time any provider makes an advance.[/QUOTE]

FIOS is a few years away from being a MAJOR competator.. yes they will be there and possibly have more, but the over all effercts will be very small due to the small area that it will be available in.
Same goes for AT&T when they get thiers up and running.

Jimbo

Hardly, you really think cable will blow away D* and DISH ???

How many HD channels do you expect to be on and in what time frame, I doubt that cable will have bandwidth to have over a hundred channels, even if they do change the way thet they send thier singals to the sub.

Jimbo

Hell yeah..I do... Comcast in Chicago is on the ball. No analog channels what so ever. That's typically about 70-80 channels. 75 * 40mbps is a lot of bandwidth for HD. And that's on top of the HD they already have.

ATT U-Verse

Hell yeah..I do... Comcast in Chicago is on the ball. No analog channels what so ever. That's typically about 70-80 channels. 75 * 40mbps is a lot of bandwidth for HD. And that's on top of the HD they already have.

As soon as ATT U-Verse is available in my area I'm gone. D* & E* are going to have to drop some prices or offer a lot more than what they currently do. I especially hate that two year contract. I have one year left and I'm not buying any no equipment until they drop that absurd commitment period.

Is that bandwidth guarenteed and also , I would not be suprised to see that split up between your TV and your internet as well, still it sounds good... too bad most of the country can't get it for another year or so.

As soon as ATT U-Verse is available in my area I'm gone. D* & E* are going to have to drop some prices or offer a lot more than what they currently do. I especially hate that two year contract. I have one year left and I'm not buying any no equipment until they drop that absurd commitment period.

Before you leave, you better check out how many HD streams you can view at one time on your TVs with ATT U-Verse. Previous reviews have mentioned that you can only view 1 HD program at a time per household. That means, if you are watching an HD program on your living room TV, you can't view another at the same time on any other HDTV in your house. You also can't watch one HD program on their DVR and record another at the same time. At least E*, D*, cable and FIOS don't have those limitations.

No problem...

Bring it on DirecTV! Steal the HD leader status from DishNetwork. I can't wait for the HD competition war to start. We are already seeing some cable networks preparing their systems. Once they rev up they'll blow DirecTV and DishNetwork out of the water.

leader in what? channels that don't matter to most of the population? there are more people in the DISH threads whining about not having baseball, not having NESN-HD, not having YES (even in SD, let alone HD) baseball than you will EVER see in the D* threads whining about the lowly viewed and rated VOOM channels.

but - if KUNG FU-HD floats YOUR boat, enjoy! :)

Is that bandwidth guarenteed and also , I would not be suprised to see that split up between your TV and your internet as well, still it sounds good... too bad most of the country can't get it for another year or so.

Split up? Why is that? The cable co's are gaining about 75 QAM256 streams from killing off analog.

Split up? Why is that? The cable co's are gaining about 75 QAM256 streams from killing off analog.

What I'm getting at is that the 40mgbs your mentioning is probably the max amount you can get to your home, and it also would need to cover the High Speed internet at your home as well, if your refering to using one provider to get both services.

Either way, 40 should be a great amount to have into the home.
Did they happen to say how much it would cost to do that p/m. ?

Jimbo

pay attention, scobuck.....dish has turned on several rsn's in hd over the past week!!!

Yes I know - but if you notice I mentioned very specific RSN's - and if you go into the other providers threads you will see plenty of discussion of people wanting NESN-HD and YES (still not there even in SD).

I have noticed that DISH now provides maybe 10 rsns for games only in HD.

It is pretty pathetic that DISH doesn't carry the SD feed of YES yet. I stuck around with Charlie for a year after it launched waiting for them to pick it up. Went to Direct and haven't looked back. He can't gain any new converts in NY without adding YES to his channel guide.

All of this is good for us-consumers win every time any provider makes an advance.

FIOS is a few years away from being a MAJOR competator.. yes they will be there and possibly have more, but the over all effercts will be very small due to the small area that it will be available in.

Jimbo[/QUOTE]

I agree with Jimbo completely. As one of the lucky very few who can get FIOS, I like to throw in comments about what is available out there in addition to satellite and cable Fiber optics is a terrific technology, and Verion FIOS has given us a preview of what is possible. But, it will take them so long to lay enough infrastructure and get enough subscribers that one can only guess what D* and others will be able to do by then..Right now, though, FIOS is terrific and is actually doing what the others promise. The achilles heel of FIOS is their awful, antique receivers and DVRs-truly horrible.

FIOS cannot hook up homes fast enough to be a serious competitor-but it's way better in devlivering more channels of pristine, uncompressed video to those of us who can get it. Their boxes suck, but the video is awesome.

Jimbo

Ah - but it shows that ALL the providers have their own limitations. It does not matter how much bandwidth FiOS has, or how many HD channels they have, they don't have many people that can get them.

As this is a new 'state'-of-the-art' system, it should be built out with the needed capacity. If D* or E* was going to start a 'brand new' service today, they also would have to address the HD issues upfront, but like the cable companies, these are 'older' systems that have to altered in-flight.

Besides, if FiOS didn't have a 'better' HD offering, there would be NO reason for anyone to get it. Why would anyone change what they had now?

Besides, if FiOS didn't have a 'better' HD offering, there would be NO reason for anyone to get it. Why would anyone change what they had now?[/QUOTE]

Well, FIOS costs less, their customer service is better, it does not blank out in rainstorms, the video is better, their technical support is awesome, their installers are well trained and do a good job, their video on demand is terrific, their channel selection is complete and they rebroadcast all the local HD channels, you have zero start-up costs and don't have to pay for their receivers and then lease them, the protection plan is built in, etc., etc, and you do not an antenna that can develop other annoying problems.

All have limitations, but FIOS has a much greater appeal to those who can get it than D* White Knights might think. FIOS is completely awesome. (except for their crummy boxes) There is WAY more to love about FIOS than just more and better HD. If FIOS has Hr20s or HR10-250s, there would not even be cause to discuss the competition-IF your house was wired. That's a big IF.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts