Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I currently have the following:
- HR34-700 located in den, approx 4 years old
- H25-500 located in living room, approx 3 years old
- H25-100 located in master bedroom, approx 4 years old
- H25-100 located in guest bedroom, approx 4 years old

I just bought a 4K TV that's going to be delivered on Thursday, and it's RVU capable. It's going to replace the TV that's in the living room.

First question is - should I ditch the H25 in the living room and just use the RVU capabilities of the new TV? Do they still charge a receiver fee when you're not using their equipment?

Second question - should I contact DIRECTV about upgrading any of my equipment, or just keep what I've got? I know about the slowness problems with the HR34, and I do have that problem - but most of the time it doesn't affect me because I rarely watch TV in the the den where it's located, so I haven't called to get it replaced. Other than that I really haven't had any problems with any of the equipment, and it all seems to be working fine.

i assume this but I'm going to ask anyway, is it just RVU or is it 4k RVU? if its one of the newer LG or Samsung I'd bet its the latter, but you know what they say lol.

since you have two more H25's i would say you're probably safe to upgrade one receiver to RVU or a 4k mini. i would guess its easier to troubleshoot with a mini rather than an RVU but maybe someone else has experience with that. either way, you're going to be paying the same fee if you have RVU or a receiver so there's no advantage there.

just on principle i'd get the 34 replaced if you do go for the upgrade. its big, loud, slow, ugly, and deserves to be put out to pasture and shot.

btw, if you're going to wall mount the TV, do your self a favor and run an HDMI cable before the tech gets there. you dont want to have him ask you to mess around with the TV so he can plug it in or some nonsense.

The new TV is a 65" Samsung UN65JS8500 SUHD 4K, and it will be mounted on the wall. The DIRECTV web site says it's a 4K RVU TV. My current TV is mounted on the wall with the H25-500 mounted to the back of the TV and connected via HDMI. I'll be doing the mounting on the wall myself (with the help of my nephew). We mounted the current TV on the wall ourselves.

AFAIK, the RVU requires a hardwired internet connection, so take that into account. I also have a 65" Samsung 4K but I don't have the RVU activated.

I've got it hooked up to an HR44 which is lightning fast compared to other receivers.

What I can tell you is that you are going to love that tv.

Reactions: scots
Initally, the HR44 will work for 4K transmissions. They are in testing at the moment. Eventually, they will move to transponders that currently only the HR54 can receive. A LNB change will be required for this too. The HR54 can not output 4K via it's HDMI port. A Directv Ready / RVU tv or a C64 client is required to receive these. For a tv to be 4K ready it must HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 certified.
Hey guys, just wondering what the (RVU) is? I have a 55" Samsung Super 4K.
RVU is a Directv Ready TV. It can connect as a client to a Genie without the need of a external client.
You can find out if your tv is Directv Ready here: http://forums.solidsignal.com/showthread.php/3723-Is-your-TV-RVU-certified-Here-s-the-latest-list

Last edited:
Reactions: scots
So...if I call and tell them I have a 4K TV will that automatically get me an HR54, or will it be a big ordeal since they're still pretty new? Or is it one of those things where it's "CSR roulette"?

Glad I bought that TV on Saturday! They just jacked the price up by $500.

Well...so far my attempt to upgrade is not going so well. My first call to DIRECTV ended up in getting disconnected after being sent to a rep who answered saying she was with AT&T (or are they supposed to be saying AT&T instead of DIRECTV now?). She was supposedly bringing up my account, and then I got disconnected (maybe it was time for her lunch break?). I called back and the system sent me to a rep for AT&T Uverse, who has me on hold now while she's trying to figure out how to transfer me to DIRECTV. UGH.

Holy cow. I'm now with person #5 trying to do this. Thank you for using AT&T!

OMG! I thought #5 was going to get it done. She had my account up, understood what I needed, etc. She put me on hold for a minute, came back, put me on hold again, and then after about 10 minutes it started ringing and I ended up with someone else who said he couldn't hear what I was saying - so I hung up on him! Is there some secret to getting an upgrade done?? I need to take a little break before I call back.

OMG! I thought #5 was going to get it done. She had my account up, understood what I needed, etc. She put me on hold for a minute, came back, put me on hold again, and then after about 10 minutes it started ringing and I ended up with someone else who said he couldn't hear what I was saying - so I hung up on him! Is there some secret to getting an upgrade done?? I need to take a little break before I call back.
That's surprising, if your already an att sub, they have been answering that way for a year or so ... maybe it started when the merger talk started.
I know what your saying though, what I hate most is to get ahold of someone and then explain what you need and then get transfered only to have to start over and 5hen rinse and repeat again....

That said, I called in to get some stuff done last week and got right thru and taken care of on first attempt.

Yep...800-531-5000. And that's what happened to me.

I posted on the DIRECTV Facebook page after my last post on here. They said they'd help me. After I gave them all my info they came back about an hour later and said that there was some sort of issue going on with the system, and it wasn't allowing anyone to process any upgrades. I've also noticed that I haven't been able do anything with my account when I log in to the web site (can't change packages, can't view equipment, etc) for several days. Comes back with an error message. Not sure if the two are related. They said it would be fixed on Monday, and that I should be able to call back on Monday (or after) and get things taken care of. I work in IT and a week seems like a long time to have a system down (especially for a large corporation) and not be able to process any upgrades, but what do I know...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)