Upgrade?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Cool. I found it works with the HR44, but I didn't set it up since they're coming Friday to replace that with an HR54. Didn't find anything about the HR54. Plus I need to find a power cord for the AM21 since it can't share power like it did with the HR34. I'm hoping if I'm nice to the DIRECTV installer he might have a spare he'll leave me.
The 44 shared a cord like the 34 did ... are you saying the 54 doesn't ?
I don't have a 54 to look at.

The 44 shared a cord like the 34 did ... are you saying the 54 doesn't ?
I don't have a 54 to look at.
The HR44 they sent me has a completely different power cord than my HR34 had. There's no way that power cord will connect to the AM21. They're here right now installing the HR54, and it has the same power cord as the HR44 that I got the other day.

Holy cow. This install appointment that they said would take an hour and a half is now going on 3 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy cow. This install appointment that they said would take an hour and a half is now going on 3 hours.

Not a surprise at all ... estimated times are just that ... you never know what your getting into till you get there.

Well that was an interesting experience. Ended up taking about 3 1/2 hours. Two guys showed up, each in a different truck. Nothing was marked as DIRECTV except their shirts and the receivers. Everything else (including the trucks) had AT&T all over. After checking things out, one of the guys left. The other started with the install. He brought in an HR54 and a C61K. I told him that I didn't need the C61K because the new TV was a Samsung with 4K RVU built in, and that I was told the only reason it had been added to the order was because that was the only way the system would let them order an HR54 for me. They said the installer would be able to just setup the RVU and take the C61K off the order. He looked at me like a deer in headlights, said "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh", and then said "We just started these 4K installs!" He then went outside, and when he came back in said that he had checked with "someone", and was told that he had to install the C61K. So I said "OK" because I just wanted this whole ordeal over with.

He then ran a new cable over to where the HR54 was going. Not sure why, as all the wiring was newly installed when I moved into my house 3 years ago - so wasn't old. He started installing the receivers, and then tells me that one of them was bad (I think it was the HR54) - and that the other guy who had left was on his way back with another one. Other guy shows up and they get the receivers setup, activated, and all that good stuff. Then they check the other TVs (I have 4 total), and the two they didn't touch weren't working any more. They called back into the tech line (I guess that's what it was?), and the first person they spoke with misunderstood and thought I was downsizing from 4 TVs to two TVs and had turned off ALL the old receivers. Got the two that had quit working reactivated, and all 4 TVs are working now.

It's amazing how good the picture is on this 4K TV - even on "regular" HD channels that aren't 4K. Really enjoying it so far! I spent the evening mounting the new TV on the wall, and hiding all the equipment behind the TV.

Only problem I've had so far is the HR54 has frozen up on me 3 times. It does see the AM21 and I can start to go through the setup, but when it gets to where it's downloading from the satellite (after I select my primary market) it freezes up. It's done it there twice - first at 66%, and then second time at 67%. It also froze up on me while I was attempting to set our recordings back up. I got several set up, and when I was about half way through our list of shows a "please wait" message came up in the lower right and it just stopped responding there. I let it sit for a while, and it finally went back to showing the channel I had been watching - but still with the "please wait" message in the corner, and I couldn't change the channel or anything else - couldn't even power it off. The only thing I've been able to do to get it going again when these freezes happen is press the red button on the side to restart the receiver. Have others had issues with the HR54 freezing? Haven't noticed any problems with the C61K so far.

Just watched something in 4K. Uh. May. Zing! I'm sure this picture does it no justice at all.
240c7a0d667774fea548d6535262ad8d.jpg

It's amazing how good the picture is on this 4K TV - even on "regular" HD channels that aren't 4K

This is what so many people don't understand. Top tier 4K sets like the Samsungs upconvert HD and the picture is fabulous. You don't need a ton of 4K programming available to make buying 4K worth it.

This is what so many people don't understand. Top tier 4K sets like the Samsungs upconvert HD and the picture is fabulous. You don't need a ton of 4K programming available to make buying 4K worth it.
I agree, however, a lot of that depends on the quality of the TV and the processor in it to up convert that picture.
Those of you that are buying the high end sets can expect that type of picture.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Esquire network charge 0.00 WTH?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)