Upgrading Hardrive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackhawk131

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Is there a way to had a second drive or replace the existing drive with a much larger size? I know this may have been asked already, just trying to get quicker results.

Thanks

So how do you go about attaching it to the system? Just connect it and you are good to go? Is the connection located in the back of the HR-21? Does it require any formatting or just PNP?

Thanks,

So how do you go about attaching it to the system? Just connect it and you are good to go? Is the connection located in the back of the HR-21? Does it require any formatting or just PNP?

Thanks,
an SATA drive in an Esata enclosure with a cable plugged into the back of the HR20 or HR21. I believe all you do is Reset everything and the unit will format the external drive and use that drive. But you will have to set your series link all over again and you will not have access to previous recordings on the internal drive.

You are talking about a external sata driver? Not one that you normally used internally in a pc. Correct?

thanks again

Yes I found out that you are talking about an external encloser type. Do they connect via USB?

You are talking about a external sata driver? Not one that you normally used internally in a pc. Correct?

thanks again

Yes I found out that you are talking about an external encloser type. Do they connect via USB?

Blackhawk,
You can go either way, the External are self contained and usually cost a bit more. The internal variety requires you to buy the internal drive and an enclosure. and then plug it in. The External version , take it out of the box , plug in the esata cable then power, then reboot and your good to go.

Remember like Vurbano said, you will not have access to the recordings on the internal again, until you remove the External drive, it's one or the other.
Many of us are using the Seagate E drives, make sure you get one that has ESATA connections on it.

Jimbo

careful Ive heard some of the prepackaged external solutions do not work. I think you are much better off with the MX-1 and selecting your own drive.

careful Ive heard some of the prepackaged external solutions do not work. I think you are much better off with the MX-1 and selecting your own drive.

Having been burned by Cavalry, I think buying your own BARE drive and an Antec MX-1 enclosure is the way to go.

Western Digital has this drive, WD10EVCS, they say is made for DVR's and the pricing is pretty good:

WD AV-GP ( WD10EVCS )

Hmmm,
I've seen you say that previously, but I seem to have seen others say that they do work on the HR21's.

Just another reason to NOT get a HR21

jimbo

What is wrong with the HR21's? Are the 20 that much better?

Thanks,

Can you explain a little more about what you are talking about. What is a OTA?
OTA = Over The Air

OTA are your local channels received via a conventional television antenna. Can be very useful in poor weather when satellite reception is compromised. Also the only way to receive digital locals that DIRECTV doesn't carry.

I understand what D* wants to do with the HR21 but it is no the time for this machine. Even most of those who Have D* HDLIL do NOT have ALL of the OTA in there area. I think it will be Years before D* carries all of them and forcing the HR21 on people is a mistake, IMO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts