GEOSATpro USB has stopped functioning

Elchucko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Full time RVer
A few hours ago I tried to record a wild feed on 103 with my MicroHD. When I wanted to stop the recording, the button would not work, so I powered it off with the remote. When I powered it back on, it would not recognize the USB drove (Seagate Free Agent 500GB). I then removed all power, then back on---still not recognized. I tried other USB sticks--nothing. I then did a factory reset. It will not recognize anything on the USB port even though the drive is powering up.

I even reformatted the hard drive (NTFS) with my computer (obviously since the MicroHD won't recognize it).

Suggestions?

Do a firmware reflash of the receiver. Use the internal cable if you have one, and if not, do a satellite download and flash.

That may fix it. It's worth trying anyway.

Agreed with primestar31 on the firmware update followed by a Factory reset and Power Cycle (removing power) for 5 or 10 seconds.

But first...

1. Is the Seagate drive a 2.5" or 3.5"?

2. Is the drive powered by an external power supply?

3. Is the drive powered by USB cable?
a. If powered by USB, does the USB cable have the the pigtail for external power?
b. If the USB cable has the pigtail for external power, was the pigtail connected to an external power supply?

Last edited:
Agreed with primestar31 on the firmware update followed by a Factory reset and Power Cycle (removing power) for 5 or 10 seconds.

But first...

1. Is the Seagate drive a 2.5" or 3.5"e? It is a Seagate free agent go PN: 9ZA2AH-502 sealed unit

2. Is the drive powered by an external power supply? NO

3. Is the drive powered by USB cable? YES
a. If powered by USB, does the USB cable have the the pigtail for external power? NO
b. If the USB cable has the pigtail for external power, was the pigtail connected to an external power supply? N/A

Don't know the size since it is a sealed unit

Typically the drive size is provided with the sales documentation or the width of the case could suggest the size of the drive.

Pigtail not used? This may be very bad bad news...
USB powered drives sold with a pigtail usually exceed the the current rating of an USB port and the pigtail must be plugged into another power source. The drive may not have adequate current to spin up or the over current draw may have damaged the microHD USB port. Enough current may be available to show a status LED, but not adequte to spin up. The manufacturer provides a pigtail as it is intended be plugged into an additional USB power source to provide the current to operate the drive. I use and recommend an external power adapter like these: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ac+power+adapter+usb

Try updating the firmware then attach a different USB drive to test. Unplug the microHD for an hour to see if a component could cool and work again.

The microHD USB port is rated 500ma. What is the current draw of the Seagate drive?

Last edited:
Typically the drive size is provided with the sales documentation or the width of the case could suggest the size of the drive.

Pigtail not used? This may be very bad bad news...
USB powered drives sold with a pigtail usually exceed the the current rating of an USB port and the pigtail must be plugged into another power source. The drive may not have adequate current to spin up or the over current draw may have damaged the microHD USB port. Enough current may be available to show a status LED, but not adequte to spin up. The manufacturer provides a pigtail as it is intended be plugged into an additional USB power source to provide the current to operate the drive.

Try updating the firmware then attach a different USB drive to test. Unplug the microHD for an hour to see if a component could cool and work again.

Sounds like you may have misunderstood. This drive does not have a pigtail. It only has the standard mini-USB connector and does not require a separate power source. The cord being used is the cord supplied with the drive at time of purchase.

I have updated via satellite and performed a factory reset. I then tried a different drive. Still no USB response. The MicroHD is warm but not hot to the touch. I have unplugged it and will check again in about an hour.

Sorry! I misread... :eek:

What is the current draw rating of the drive? If higher than 500ma, then a powered cable or hub must be used.

Hope the hour rest restores operation! I know siestas do wonders for me!

You know me just trying to help out, I have did a little(not a lot) of research and I can not find a spec with the current draw of that drive...:rolleyes:

Well after a long rest, my MicroHD still will not recognize any drive attached to the USB.power

I have also searched far and wide for any info concerning the power consumption of the Seagate FreeAgent Go and can not locate any specifications that mention power consumption. I have owned this drive for a little over two years and do not have the box or papers that came with it.

What do we do now? I also purchased the extended warranty when I bought the MicroHD. It is one of the originals that was shipped while US customs was detaining the first large shipment.

Call our support department and setup an RMA to send in for testing. If the unit has failed due to factory defect, it will be replaced under warranty.

I believe that your drive exceeds 500ma draw. The 3 portable 500GB drives that I own exceed 500ma and require an additional power source. I Googled the Seagate Free Agent 500GB portable 2.5" go drives and they all seem to be provided with an USB power pigtail. Are you using the original cable?

PM me with the drive serial number and I will call their support department and find out the current draw and power options.

As I stated in post #6 "The cord being used is the cord supplied with the drive at time of purchase." The drive did NOT come with a pigtail. I have two of the drives that I purchased at the same time in late 2010. They both have short gray cables with a USB mini plug. I will PM the S/N to you.

According to their knowledge base only the GoFlex Desk requires external power.

Q: Can I interchange cables and adapters between GoFlex, GoFlex Pro, GoFlex Slim and GoFlex Desk?
A: It is possible to interchange all cables and adapters between the portable solutions - GoFlex, GoFlex Pro, and GoFlex Slim - however, you cannot use a portable solution cable with the GoFlex Desk because the power requirements of the GoFlex Desk exceed what can be supplied through a USB, eSATA or FireWire port. Therefore it is necessary to use GoFlex Desk power adapters that are designed to draw power from a standard AC power outlet.

Last edited:
The drive is not a newer Flex model, but a standard model.

We called Seagate support and they were very hesitant to provide much information since the drive is designed for back-up and not continuous use with sustained throughput. They don't recommend using portable drives for DVR applications.

Seagate suggested that the drive was likely drawing at the maximum USB current rating of 500ma and likely to draw more during start-up. Had the model tested in a running mode with current draw in excess of 500ma, they would have included a power adapter.

Seagate also suggested that this drive may draw more current during extended use instead of the intended use for back-up / file storage. They would recommend that an external power supply be used if a drive is used for this type of application with continuous and sustained throughput.

We will test the microHD under warranty and repair or replace if the unit has failed due to factory defect. We would ask that you also send the drive for testing. Please see the PM.

We will include information with future manuals warning about the use of portable USB drives. This should help other customers select more suitable storage devices.

Yes, but this is not a GoFlex Desk model. It is a Free Agent Go that is advertised and sold as a portable device with only a single cable supplied.

As I stated in a PM, I believe you to be an honest person and you are not out to screw me. If anyone is at fault it is Seagate for not supplying a different cable and advising the customer.

If it doesn't get covered by my warranty, just let me know what to pay so I can decide whether to repair it or buy another and use this one as a spare.

Yes, but this is not a GoFlex Desk model.

Chuck, I was addressing the post by rgk about the support desk FAQ for the newer go Flex models... Sorry, not your posts.

To fill in the rest of the story for forum members. Here is additional info from your earlier PM

Elchucko said:
This morning I connected a 16gb SD card in a thumb drive adapter and it recognizes it but will not recognize other drives.

Partial good news about the card being recognized. SD cards require very little current to operate. This means the USB port reads and writes, but likely the power supply has been damaged and unable to provide the power for larger devices. If this is the case, it would not be covered by warranty, but you are certainly welcome to send it in and we can evaluate for repair.

A less expensive option would be to use a powered hub connected to the microHD, the USB drive would then plug into the powered hub. The hub would supply the required power to the connected USB device and the drives should be recognized by the microHD.

I suggest the hub solution (<$20 on Ebay) if the USB repair is out of warranty ($35 bench fee plus shipping).

Let us know how we can assist!

I'm anxious to read the final resolution to this matter.

Why? I have a number of old WD 40/60/80gb portable USB drives.
I got 'em new on close out, some years ago.
They're great for backup, file transport, work with PVRs and media players.
I have one loaded and plugged bare into my WD TV Live Plus right now.
Never use external power.
They contain an IDE 2.5" drive & USB converter.
Model: WD800U017-RBN

Of course, I wouldn't hesitate to use external power or another drive at the first sign of trouble.
And you might expect a new 500gb drive would suck more power than these antiques. ;)

Anyway, just keeping an eye on this thread.

Anole,

Personally, I NEVER use the STB or PC USB power for anything larger than a flash thumb drive. I have tested too many USB 2.5" drives that draw 700 - 900ma during spin-up. It cost less than $10 to protect the hardware investment. Unfortunately, the first sign of trouble is usually the port failure! :eek:

USB power adapters $3
USB_Adapter.JPG

USB A to A/B cables $3
12580332980.jpg

This gets weirder all the time.

The MicroHD recognizes and reads a 16GB Fuji microSD card inserted in an adapter but it will not recognize any other drive. I have tried a powered USB port and got nothing. I then tried an external powered Maxtor 500GB drive and it is also not seen by the MicroHD.

I have a Return authorization # and will be sending it out on Monday. I need it this weekend to record the Met Op for a relative in Europe. I'll have to do it via the component out cable to my DVR.

Not that weird...

Likely the Maxtor requires additional power for the driver and front-end electronics to initialize. The adapter for the microSD card probably requires less power.

My guess would be that a powered hub would mount the Maxtor drive.

What do you mean "tried a powered USB port and got nothing"?

Not that weird...

Likely the Maxtor requires additional power for the driver and front-end electronics to initialize. The adapter for the microSD card probably requires less power.

My guess would be that a powered hub would mount the Maxtor drive.

What do you mean "tried a powered USB port and got nothing"?

I had tried another drive that has a second cable that is powered through a USB port which I powered with an external USB Hub. l

But now I have obtained a external powered cable (see pic) and tried several different drives. None of them will connect, but the 16GB card will!

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 152

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)