using d* in canada, will they catch me if I plug in ethernet w/local ping?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

steinline

Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Vancouver, BC
so i've been using d* in Vancouver with my own US credit card and my own US address (I own properties in both countries). I have local cable internet, and would like to be able to order movies on demand but have to connect a cat 5 cable to my receiver. I am concerned that DTV will "see" that my isp is pinging from Canada, and cancel me. Does anyone have experience with this or how to block the Canadian ping? Thanks!!

He said he has a US address so lets not sit here and split hairs

I have a Shaw Direct setup which is a Canadian DTH provider and I live in MN (and have a NW Ontario address too...same boat as the OP) :)

I highly doubt they are actively checking accounts to see if IP addresses match the service addresses on the account. My IP shows as a city 100 miles from my house. That is just where the server is.....

You could also set up a proxy on your computer and use internet connection sharing. It would be significantly slower though....

If it was me....I would just try it.....

He said he has a US address so lets not sit here and split hairs

I have a Shaw Direct setup which is a Canadian DTH provider and I live in MN (and have a NW Ontario address too...same boat as the OP) :)

He's trying not to get caught violating the DIRECTV service agreement plain and simple. I'm not splitting hairs.

If it bothers you so much there is another site that locks up threads like this faster than you can say Terms of Service. You can go there.

I didn't know this forum was for helping people that are breaking the DIRECTV service agreement.

This forum won't allow the discussion of theft, like account stacking. However, what he is doing is basically "moving" which has been allowed here for a long time. He is still paying his bill. Nobody is out anything....

Let's make it simple, YES THEY WILL CATCH YOU FOR DOING THAT.

Case Closed.

Attachments

• ph.jpg
    ph.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 165
Let's make it simple, YES THEY WILL CATCH YOU FOR DOING THAT.

Case Closed.

Don't think so. I know folks who have moved and still have an ethernet connection at their "billing" address. No problems. We all know they can catch you, the question is will they do anything about it. And as I said before, the servers that you get your internet from is not always in the town you live anyway. As I said, mine is 100 miles away.......I haven't heard of anyone being shut down....

I would be more worried about the Canadian government catching the OP than DirecTV. With a fine of up to $25,000 and/or one year in jail it seems a pretty big penalty just to watch some TV.

Radiocommunications Act

or you may want to search for

ExpressVu Inc.. v. NII Norsat International Inc., July 23, 1997, T-1639-96
(F.C.T.D.); confirmed by November 20, 1997, A-541-97 (F.C.A.)

This article discusses a case that went all the way to the Canadian Supreme Court
Foreign Satellite Television Services in Canada

The current Conservative government could care less if Canadians subscribe to US DBS. In fact they have pledged to allow foreign satellite providers into Canada. They also realize that wasting police resources to try to catch people watching TV is ludicrous.

Ian Jack - Financial Post - June 10, 2004
OTTAWA - A Conservative government would radically reduce the
amount of regulation of the television industry and seek a deal with
the United States to allow American satellite TV services unfettered
access to Canada, according to the party's candidate handbook.

It was the previous Liberal government (supported by Bell) that sought to have US DBS declared illegal. They also tried to introduce a new Bill to increase penalties 10 fold. However, the Liberals were caught in a corruption scandal, were booted out of office and the Bill died on the table.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)