Video Game Deals

Rocket League is having a free weekend on Steam. The game and almost all the DLC are also 30% off. Since I'm up to 400 hours played now I guess you could say that I recommend trying this out.

The Division is having a free weekend on Steam. The game and almost all the DLC are also 50% off. Since I'm up to 1/400th hours played now I guess you could say that I recommend trying this out before you buy it.

Just a heads up. If you don't already own Alan Wake you will no longer be able to buy it after 5/15.

I really hope this gets resolved. It would really suck to lose a game like this due to something as stupid as music licenses. Regardless, at 90% off it's SO worth it. One of my favorite games. I just hope that it gets a similar discount on the Xbox Marketplace.

I really hope this gets resolved. It would really suck to lose a game like this due to something as stupid as music licenses. Regardless, at 90% off it's SO worth it. One of my favorite games. I just hope that it gets a similar discount on the Xbox Marketplace.

They could try get the licenses renewed or go the GTA route and just patch the game to remove all the music they no longer have the rights to. The second option probably makes a lot more business sense but I've never played the game so I can't say how important the soundtrack is to the overall tone of the game.

Neither option is great. Going out and paying for new licenses to use music in a game from 2010 doesn't make much business sense. They have already sold the game to the vast majority of people who will ever buy it so they could possibly lose money in that deal. The music licenses may very well cost them more than they will make in profit from future sales.

If they copy Rockstar and just patch out the music they no longer have the rights to the people who bought the game before the rights expired won't be happy. There were a lot of upset people when this happened to San Andreas. Even though they bought the game when they had the license they got a patch and it was removed so that Rockstar could continue selling it to new customers.

I'm sure Remedy didn't want to remove Alan Wake from stores but this may have been their best option. They won't lose money by investing in music licenses for a game that probably doesn't sell many copies anymore and they don't alienate their biggest fans who have owned the game for years by stripping the music out of it.

Instead they will get a nice sales bump by announcing that the game will no longer be available and offering it a 90% discount and it costs them nothing to do this. Anyone who owns the game before it is removed from stores will be able to download the full game the way it was intended to be played going forward. From a preservation standpoint it sucks that things like this are going to happen more often going forward but I do understand the reasoning behind it.

As someone who played the game and loved it I had to go back and be reminded what copyrighted music is in the game. It's not nearly as major as the GTA games.

Episode Ending Songs
Episode Artist Name of Song Year Released Length
Episode One Roy Orbison In Dreams (1987 Version) 1987 2:48
Episode Two Poe Haunted 2000 5:20
Episode Three Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Up Jumped The Devil 2010 5:16
Episode Four Old Gods of Asgard The Poet and the Muse 2010 4:18
Episode Five Poets of the Fall War 2010 5:05
Episode Six/
Credits David Bowie Space Oddity 1969 5:15
Special One Anna Ternheim No, I Don't Remember 2009 3:56
Special Two Depeche Mode The Darkest Star 2005 6:42

Other Songs
These songs are also found in-game (e.g. within the talk radio broadcasts) but are not used in the credits and are not part of the official soundtrack. They can, however, be listened to through the Extras menu.

Artist Name of Song Length Year Released
Harry Nilsson Coconut 4:50 1972
Among the Oak & Ash Shady Grove 1:54 2009
The Rumble Strips Back Bone 3:11 2009
Violet Indiana Air Kissing 3:52

I have no problem with them patching it out as long as they don't do what Rockstar did and remove it from existing copies. That is not cool. Of course I have a DRM free copy so I wouldn't be affected either way, but taking those bits of music out would not be a big deal, especially since for the episode ending songs you're probably going to be hitting the "skip" button anyways and bypassing the song since its just a credit roll.

Still, reading all about this is really making me want to play this again. I already set my home gaming computer to download it again. May have to make a video about it.

I just glanced there and I don't see that price.

Yeah, it was a kind of weird listing but it looks like it's up to $19.58 now. It was separate from the normal Witcher 3 listing that has the PS4, Xbox One, and PC versions for $35 and up and it was even named differently. It was PS4 only and just said Witcher Wild Hunt instead of Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt.

My guess is that it was a third party seller that either had a pricing error or was quickly running out of stock so they increased the price.

Speaking of the Witcher 3 (Great Segue there, eh?) Humble Store is having a sale on the entire Witcher series.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/the-witcher-spring-sale/

The Season Pass is finally down to 50% off. I think I may finally try this game out again. Horizon got me back into wanting a big open world game.

Edit: DAMN! 36 GB! Yeah I know such file sizes aren't unusual nowadays but still...

Speaking of the Witcher 3 (Great Segue there, eh?) Humble Store is having a sale on the entire Witcher series.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/the-witcher-spring-sale/

The Season Pass is finally down to 50% off. I think I may finally try this game out again. Horizon got me back into wanting a big open world game.

I haven't completed Witcher 3 yet but I still play it pretty regularly and I have about 40 hours in now. I definitely recommend trying it out. It's one of the best looking games I've ever played and the story is very good. Just know that with the game and season pass together you easily have 100+ hours of content on your hands. If you try to do everything in the game it might be closer to 200 hours.

Edit: DAMN! 36 GB! Yeah I know such file sizes aren't unusual nowadays but still...

36GB actually doesn't seem that bad for the amount of content in Witcher 3. I went to reinstall Doom this weekend because I was in the mood for a FPS campaign. I started the download and saw that it was over 80GB and changed my mind. I'll save that until I'm ready to commit to replaying the whole game. It seems like most AAA games are somewhere in the 30-50GB range these days with some going way over the 50GB mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)