ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

Any one still having problems with losing sound?? Happened again last night. Had to reboot to get the sound back. Also still having trouble with the black screen appearing. Is there going to be a fix for all this??

Yes. I have been getting sound cut-outs way to often now. I've never gone to black though (knock on wood.)

Software L365 on a 622. This morning, the corrupted HD message, but it did not delete anything, but following its reboot, it shut off and the remote did not work. I did a Power Cycle reboot and following the dreaded "searching satellites" message, it seemed fine. I then looked at the PVR and everything was there. So I played last nights CSI-NY. When it was over I deleted it and went to HD programming on NBC (OTA). No audio. Ok, change channel. Still no audio. Back to PVR, audio ok. Back to HD or SD. No audio. Audio is HDMI. Power cycle again, and operation was normal.

If this (no video, audio but a strong signal) is happening with all channels, OTA channels at the same time, not just one station and it's sub-channels, then I would think there is a problem with your ATSC tuner. If it affects your Satellite channels then there is something worse going on.

I don't think it's a tuner. I've had the same problem as Pepper (and I think even before 363). When it happens, both the sound and audio go dead, on all channels and on all 3 tuners. Sometimes it requires a power button reboot and sometimes if you wait, it will eventually go into a reboot on it's own. It is definitely tied in with scanning or adding of OTA channels.

Dish may be aware of it but they don't seem to be rushing with a fix either. Wonder if that's because it's an OTA related problem?

I don't think it's a tuner. I've had the same problem as Pepper (and I think even before 363). When it happens, both the sound and audio go dead, on all channels and on all 3 tuners. Sometimes it requires a power button reboot and sometimes if you wait, it will eventually go into a reboot on it's own. It is definitely tied in with scanning or adding of OTA channels.

Dish may be aware of it but they don't seem to be rushing with a fix either. Wonder if that's because it's an OTA related problem?

I agree, there may be other factors that cause the loss of video/audio for all three tuners that either ends in a automatic reset or a reset by human. E* told me that the OTA bug is not a high priority as, "the percentage of OTA use is low as compared to satellite use."

<snip>.... E* told me that the OTA bug is not a high priority as, "the percentage of OTA use is low as compared to satellite use."

Like most of what Dish says, that's total BS. It may have been true a couple of years ago, before most affiliates were digital but not now.

The true reason ALL OTA problems are low priority for Dish now is because they don't want you watching OTA. If Dish had their way (and it won't surprise me to see it happen), they'd stop including OTA tuners entirely.

Why? Simple. Dish has made a money decision to cut the picture quality of their HD channels as much as they can get away with in order to fit more channels within their bandwidth space.

In fact the decline in Dish's HD PQ has now reached the point where unless there's something wrong with an affiliate station or they're multi-casting 3 or more channels, their OTA signal will blow away any of the Dish locals.

The rub for Dish of course is that besides being much better PQ, OTA is also free, so anyone that gets all 4 digital nets OTA really has no need to pay Dish for locals.

In light of this, doesn't it make sense that Dish receivers would start to develop more problems with OTA reception? It makes sense that their receivers don't get the PSIP guide data like other digital receivers. It makes sense that their receivers no longer show signal activity below 60%. It makes sense that their receivers have more trouble with multipath. It makes sense their receivers only have one OTA tuner.

AUDIO POPPING & REBOOTING 3-4 TIMES PER WEEK:

Audio popping just started on my 622. I've had it since April. But it is also rebooting 3 to 4 times per week. As a result I get my DVR recordings in two parts many times. It's very annoying. I called Tech support and they suggested I plug my 622 receiver directly into the wall instead of a surge protector. Is this a good idea or not??

AUDIO POPPING & REBOOTING 3-4 TIMES PER WEEK:

Audio popping just started on my 622. I've had it since April. But it is also rebooting 3 to 4 times per week. As a result I get my DVR recordings in two parts many times. It's very annoying. I called Tech support and they suggested I plug my 622 receiver directly into the wall instead of a surge protector. Is this a good idea or not??

No. It's a very stupid idea.

Every single recently recorded program experiences audio dropouts. And all my recordings, lately, have been from CBSHD, not any OTA stations. Annoying as hell, particularly the WAF.

Also, this week I had the corrupted hard disk message.

It would be nice if Dish even acknowledged that audio dropouts were still a problem and not totally resolved with 365.

I just got a new 622 and consider it a significant improvement over my 811. SD looks much, much better using both SD and HDMI outputs. With the 811, SD was almost unwatchable via DVI.

One thing the 622 does not have is Guide program listings for OTA, where the 811 did (I don't subscribe to any locals). Is this considered a bug, or was this feature left out of the 622 on purpose?

The 811 allowed me to have separate picture formats for HD and SD outputs (example - Zoom SD, normal HD). The 622 treats SD & HD output formats the same and that is a problem. I want HD to be normal, while SD is stretched. Is this a known bug in the 622?

The 811 allowed me to have separate picture formats for HD and SD outputs (example - Zoom SD, normal HD). The 622 treats SD & HD output formats the same and that is a problem. I want HD to be normal, while SD is stretched. Is this a known bug in the 622?

That is incorrect. The hd and sd are seperately set picture formats on the 622.

When I press the format button (the '*' key), it changes the format of both HD and SD outputs at the same time. If I go from 'normal' to 'zoom', both HD & SD outputs change from 'normal' to 'zoom'. I want to able to leave HD format as 'normal', while changing SD format to anything I want. The 811 allowed this by using the separate 'page up' and 'page down' buttons to control HD & SD formats independently.

That is indeed an issue, I've found in single mode, if TV1 looks right, TV2 is stretched or pillarboxed, and vice-versa.

Only the TV2 SD outputs do what you want, and only in dual mode. Then your choices for HD content are "letterbox" and "zoom" - the second being with the left and right sides cut off.

I tried to find if this is known but i couldnt see it.
Recently, any SD recording over 1 hour, stops recording and starts recording the first hour again.
For example i tried to record vincent on BBC america it's 90 mins long, i got 1 hour and the first 30 mins again. I as it's SD because my HD recordings, films etc are all fine.
Using 3.65 software rev

Last edited:
Recently, any SD recording over 1 hour, stops recording and starts recording the first hour again.
For example i tried to record vincent on BBC america it's 90 mins long, i got 1 hour and the first 30 mins again. I as it's SD because my HD recordings, films etc are all fine.
Using 3.65 software rev

This is a known issue (I just don't know if Dish is looking into it). I have had this happen numerous times on NHL recordings from both FSN-Bay Area, and from my Center Ice channels. It's also happened to me several other times on A&E, recording hour-long shows. It starts the recording over anywhere from 20-40 minutes into these shows. Very frustrating. Dish even sent me a new 622, and the problem is continuing. I phoned them to let them know it wasn't a defective STB, but a larger issue, hopefully a software fix.

Anyone else out there told Dish of this problem so they can focus some attention on it?????

This is a known issue (I just don't know if Dish is looking into it). I have had this happen numerous times on NHL recordings from both FSN-Bay Area, and from my Center Ice channels. It's also happened to me several other times on A&E, recording hour-long shows. It starts the recording over anywhere from 20-40 minutes into these shows. Very frustrating. Dish even sent me a new 622, and the problem is continuing. I phoned them to let them know it wasn't a defective STB, but a larger issue, hopefully a software fix.

Anyone else out there told Dish of this problem so they can focus some attention on it?????

I've never heard of it before and never seen it.

Start a seperate bug report thread with a poll asking who else has seen it.

My 622 keeps freezing up, this used to be every once in a while, I would do a soft reboot and everything would be fine till the next time. But here lately its been doing it like twice a day, this is getting a little annoying! I havn't tried a hard reboot but I thing I will try that and report back in a few day. Just wondered who all else was having the same problem!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts