Vita?

I assume then that even if I bought a game like Killzone in retail-disc format, I would still need room on my memory card for any patches.

I assume then that even if I bought a game like Killzone in retail-disc format, I would still need room on my memory card for any patches.

Yep. Patches take up memory card space.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm fine with the white model I already have. The only thing that appeals to me about the new one is the extra hour of battery life. I'd rather keep the superior OLED screen than the new LCD screen too.

As for the set top Vita... As weird as it sounds I can actually see the appeal. I don't think I would buy one standalone but for $100 I can see picking one up if you already have a PS4. This allows you to play all your PS4 games in another room of the house without picking up a second PS4. If someone is watching your main TV you can still play PS4 on a big screen in another room. Being able to play Vita games on a big screen is a bonus but probably not the part I would use much.

Last edited:
Actually the more I think about a set top Vita the better I think it will do. At $100 it is priced the same as an Apple TV so it can compete as a standard streaming box.

It's also the same price as the Ouya and other android consoles. The big difference is that it has a decent library of Vita games instead of the crappy smartphone games the Ouya plays. It's a pretty decent budget console. $100 to get the Vita library isn't bad at all if you can't afford the PS4 or Xbox One.

The PS4 play is a nice touch if you have one of those too. I don't know if I will pick one of these up for myself but I actually think they will do pretty well.

Though it's great that Sony has found a way to expand the install base for the Vita, and thereby hopefully encourage developers to create more games for the Vita, I question whether the many existing Vita games that require touchscreen or rearpad controls will even be compatible -- which basically includes most the major AAA titles to date as I understand. I also question just how good Vita games will look blown up on a 50" (or even 32") TV. Were they even designed to run at that size at 720p / 30 fps. As far as media-streaming capabilities, my $89 Sony smart blu-ray player already does everything my PS3 does except play games. As far as the PS4 extender feature is concerned, again I'd like to see what kind of quality you'll be getting on a standard TV screen (40"+) in another room, i.e., will it look as good as when output directly by the PS4? And what about sound capabilities when extended thus?

Sony admits that something needs to be done about getting more AAA games on the Vita:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...mething-Different-to-Get-AAA-Games-on-PS-Vita

That would be great but more than anything I want them to cut the price of memory cards by 50-75%. My 32GB is always full and I constantly have to uninstall games I'm not finished with to install new PS Plus games I want to try out. I had several types of Gameboys and other handhelds like the GameGear in the past. I always had to bring some type of carrying case along so I wouldn't lose my game cartridges. That limits the portability quite a bit.

One of the best things about the Vita is having all my games in the system's internal storage at all times. I don't have to look for specific games I want to bring with me or worry about grabbing anything before I go. I just grab the Vita and put it in my pocket and I'm off. At least that's how it was at the beginning before I ran out of space. Now I'm back to thinking about which games I want to take with me on my trip again. I have to make room and download the games I want before I go.

64GB is currently the largest size card available and it's listed at $109.00 on Amazon. I would probably still run out of space at that size eventually but it's a lot better than my 32GB. I refuse to pay that much for a memory card though. For comparison the Sony 64GB Micro SD on Amazon is $37.95 and it looks very similar to the proprietary Vita card. They should have just used those from the start but switching at this point doesn't help those of us who already own a Vita. I really think they would sell a lot more units if they could get the proprietary memory costs in line with Micro SD.

If he has to "fight" to even get the 64gb card released, I don't see lip service about AAA titles going very far.

Vita feels more like a 20% project of a couple of devs at this point, with the new revision that was just released an effort to get out from under the expensive OLED screen and downgrade it to an LCD more than any other improvement.

But hey, we'll be able to re-buy and/or rent our titles on PS Now. Something that will generate revenue, unlike AAA game development for the most part on the platform.

Not sure if this is good or bad news, but Sony is moving away from first party games for the Vita..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135539-Sony-Moving-Away-From-First-Party-Titles-on-Vita

I would say it's not really good news. There are some exceptions but for the most part my Vita is an indie machine. I do think it's a great platform for playing these indies when you are on the road. It does a very good job of making these games identical to their PC/console versions. If the indie support wasn't there I would likely be done with my vita by now though.

On the other hand, big cinematic experiences like Uncharted Golden Abyss and Killzone Mercenary aren't always the best fit for a handheld device. Both of those games are great but when I'm using my handheld I'm not often somewhere where I'm going to plop down with good headphones for the next couple hours. My Vita gets a lot of its use in quick indie experiences with the sound off when I have 20 minutes to kill.

Sony keeps acting like remote play means they don't have to make native Vita games anymore. I will admit that it works great and I use it pretty often while I watch a game or something. A lot of my Vita time comes when I'm in a car, a plane, or at my cabin without internet access though. Remote play for a mobile system can't be a replacement for native games when people take these things away from good internet access.

Not sure if this is good or bad news, but Sony is moving away from first party games for the Vita..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135539-Sony-Moving-Away-From-First-Party-Titles-on-Vita

They are just finally admitting it. They've been making and releasing "fewer" first party titles in the NA since the first year of its launch. In admitting it, they are basically saying they aren't planning on releasing any beyond the one or two that are still in the pipeline, other than perhaps cross-platform titles.

I've been of the mindset that in this day and age, a dedicated gaming device is an outdated and rather money losing venture in the world of tablets and smartphones. I think people want a console experience on a console hooked up to a nice HDTV, not on a 5" display with limited battery life and overpriced, proprietary memory cards. Relying on the Indie scene isn't a great money making venture due to the fact that A: The main indie scene is on Smart Devices (which the majority of gamers already have) and B: They're often significantly cheaper on those devices. And relying on third party companies to deliver your games isn't a great strategy either. Ask Nintendo how much third party developers like to develop for a system with a small install base (7.4 million is the most recent estimate as Sony has seems embarassed to divulge the real number.)

I also don't see Remote play being a great selling feature for the majority of users. Given the awful state of broadband in the US I don't see this pulling off a great experience on the road, and why would I play my PS4 on a Vita in my own house instead of on my 48" LED TV hooked up to a 7.1 CH Onkyo Receiver? Again, let's ask Nintendo how much the "Playing without a TV" has been a selling feature.

Jim Sterling really said it right in his video that was linked to earlier in this thread (which I will repost here via Youtube) when he said that Sony does NOT know how to make a portable device. It seems to think that it can just make a device and just put it out there like a newborn child and throughum the power of Aslan just assumes that it will do well without properly supporting it or doing anything to really make it shine or stand out among the NUMEROUS other options for portable gaming. The Vita probably would be successful if it had proper first party support or for God's Sake just played all the same damn PS1/PS2 games that the PS3 and PSP can, but Sony for whatever reason seems to not want it to be truly successful. And before anyone says that the 7.4 million isn't a bad amount, consider that the PSP sold nearly 10 million in the US alone in that same amount of time, and let's not even bring in the 3DS numbers for comparison. That would be just cruel. And to be fair, the only reason the PSP did as well as it did was because it was easily hackable and thus was a major hit in Japan and in overseas markets where they would be re-purposed as portable emulation devices.

Looks like the "Vita = Fail" drive hasn't stopped yet. These guys point to another reason why the Vita hasn't been successful.

I didn't watch the presentation but I haven't seen any big headlines about it. Just more confirmation that there won't be any big games coming just to the Vita. I still get use out of mine but it's almost always indie games that are cross-buy compatible with the PS3 and PS4 and also available on PC. There are some games you need a Vita to play but the list is pretty small.

In my case I just save the games that have Vita ports for when I'm traveling and I basically stick to free PS Plus games. The Vita is very nice hardware and it does a good job with these types of games but where are the 3DS style exclusives?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)