Voom, Direct*, Dis* Comparison

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NewMexicoHostage

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Desert of New Mexico
I've never had the D*s. CAn someone convinve em that I should be payin gthis much to get 1950s movie that are reformatted to widescreen? I mean, really, if it wasn't filmed in HD - what's the point?

Don't the D*s have the same HD channels aside from the Voom Cinema 10 stuff? I only watch Sopranos (HBO), Dead Like Me/Bullsh!t! (Show), and DHD... :confused:

NewMexicoHostage said:
I've never had the D*s. CAn someone convinve em that I should be payin gthis much to get 1950s movie that are reformatted to widescreen? I mean, really, if it wasn't filmed in HD - what's the point?

Don't the D*s have the same HD channels aside from the Voom Cinema 10 stuff? I only watch Sopranos (HBO), Dead Like Me/Bullsh!t! (Show), and DHD... :confused:

Nothing can be "filmed" in HD. Film has the highest, true resolution possible. Any transfer would be true HD from film. Compare an excellent, professional 35mm photograph to a digital photograph. The film maintains every possible bit of the original image it could capture. Television can be recorded/broadcast in HD from the source. Whether the source is film or live action, it's still HD.

NewMexicoHostage said:

If you *only* watch Show, HBO, and discoveryHD, and have no need for anything else in HD, and already have D*. you should stick with D*, and get an HD STB through them. It would be better bang for *your* buck. BUT if you want more HD, (other than the VOOM exclusives) like starz, encore, cinemax, the movie channel, and bravo, than stick with VOOM, cuz your not going to get all those channels in HD with D* anytime soon. It's that simple.

Don't the D*s have the same HD channels aside from the Voom Cinema 10 stuff? I only watch Sopranos (HBO), Dead Like Me/Bullsh!t! (Show), and DHD...
Like Gene says, DirecTV offers HDTV feeds of HBO-E, Showtime-E, and Discovery Theater HD. DirecTV does not offer west feeds in HD, nor do they offer Cinemax, Starz, Encore, or the Movie Channel in HD.

Any transfer would be true HD from film.

Ya but the most of the film that the cinema channels use is old. Plus the cameras, lighting, and sound were not as good as today's standards.

rexoverbey said:
Ya but the most of the film that the cinema channels use is old. Plus the cameras, lighting, and sound were not as good as today's standards.
The cinema channel movie look as good as an HD transfer can be unless they did them OAR. Or if you know a genie that can conjure up some new film.

NewMexicoHostage said:

no
no bravohd
no encorehd
no starz hd (2 channels)
no cinemaxhd (2 channels)
no movie channle hd
additional hbowesthd
additional showweast hd
10 cinema hd channels
no HDNEWS channel
and 11 original hd channels for worldsport, rush, rave etc
and plyboy hd for 15 bucks a month (NOT PPV)

I count about 43 HD channels (2 inside voomhd) when I include my 7 local ota hd.

NewMexicoHostage said:

1950's? I see a movie on right now from 1999 on one of the cinema channels and hbo is playing star trek V from 1989. Get your facts straight.

rexoverbey said:

Go watch that same movie broadcast on a SD channel on D* or E* and then get back to us.

NewMexicoHostage said:

Adding to what the others have said, if you look to the future, within some time period (2 years?) everything will be available in HD, though some cable and sat services will be lagging in their capability to handle it because of their infrastructure investments. Voom will get you there faster than the others, and along the way you can bet they will do some things to ensure their advantage in getting there first - such as exclusive contracts, their own channels, etc. If you compare the problems Voom has encountered over the past months with the problems whitch Dir* and Dis* encountered in their first few months - nothing is unusual. Voom has been and is continuing to get it together.

vurbano said:
1950's? I see a movie on right now from 1999 on one of the cinema channels and hbo is playing star trek V from 1989. Get your facts straight.

I don't disagree with you that Voom has MORE stuff, I just don't personally find most of it that interesting - same would go for 199 channels of digital cable. I can only watch so much TV in a day...

I just wanted to get opinions from some people who've had the D* services since I never have. I think Voom in general kicks ass for HD programming. Aside from the problems I've had, some of them my own stupidity too, I can't really complain.

That said, I just wanted to justify my investment in Voom as opposed to what it would cost to go HD and HD DVR on D* for the same few channels I want. Jesus, it's easier to price a freakin' cell phone plan than to figure out the best price for D* SD/HD services. Maybe I'm just an idiot... :D

Added: BTW, is Voom allowing customers to simply switch over to the $9.50 rental plan now vs. cancelling and having it removed first?

Had D* Now I Love Voom

I had D* for years, waited and waited for HD content, finally they came up with a few HD channels which I loved watching. Then along came Voom with many more channels. I dropped D* like a hot potatoe without thinking twice. I pretty much only watch HD content or DVDs. PQ from standard definition is not worth watching for me. So Voom has been a great investment, well not much of an investment considering 9.95 a month rental and a bill that is less for more premium channels than I had with D* with so much more HD content. Really a no brainer! Voom Rules!

That's exactly the kind of info I was asking for, DD. Thanks.
I intend to take them up on the MBG and go with the rental plan - that way it sits easier on my mind. $1200 is a lot of $$ for something that I can rent for $10/month.

discodol said:
I had D* for years, waited and waited for HD content, finally they came up with a few HD channels which I loved watching. Then along came Voom with many more channels. I dropped D* like a hot potatoe without thinking twice. I pretty much only watch HD content or DVDs. PQ from standard definition is not worth watching for me. So Voom has been a great investment, well not much of an investment considering 9.95 a month rental and a bill that is less for more premium channels than I had with D* with so much more HD content. Really a no brainer! Voom Rules!

vurbano said:
Good point. I've noticed that Cinema 10 is showing more recent movies lately.

Even older Films will be much higher quality than any SD transfer could ever be. As to the lighting, etc. The older films I feel are even better than some new ones because they had to make everything look good without any post production "magic".

I have seem some old movies in HD that would make your jaw drop with how good they were.

Reedl

I cant even see the point of the arguing. Since day one we have all clamored for...MORE HD PROGRAMMING!!. Well, we got it- in spades. As far as the investment goes ... I invested -0- dollars. How can I not be happy? The VOOM guide is not the best but I like it enough. It tells me what I need to know and quite colorfully too I might add. Think of the Dish 6000- what a wreck that box is compared to the VOOM box. Over the years the 6000 got a little better and better to the point where it was E's most reliable box. Look at the poor bastards waitng for HDDirectivos and 921's-- they arent even releasable--and these are coming from the 2 biggest baddest superpowers in the satellite universe!!.IT'S 2004 AND THESE 2 SUPERPOWERS CANT PUT A BOX TOGETHER ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT--THEY DONT EVEN GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO RELEASE THE BOX!!! Voom will live and learn-the guide wont always go to ch100, you wont always have to go thru 3 steps to get a program guide and oh,by the way-- my 6000 couldnt give me ota program info and voom can do this right out of the box--so lets not forget VOOM is doing a lot of things right besides the problems we always hear about.

mattyro said:
I cant even see the point of the arguing. Since day one we have all clamored for...MORE HD PROGRAMMING!!. Well, we got it- in spades. As far as the investment goes ... I invested -0- dollars. How can I not be happy? The VOOM guide is not the best but I like it enough. It tells me what I need to know and quite colorfully too I might add. Think of the Dish 6000- what a wreck that box is compared to the VOOM box. Over the years the 6000 got a little better and better to the point where it was E's most reliable box. Look at the poor bastards waitng for HDDirectivos and 921's-- they arent even releasable--and these are coming from the 2 biggest baddest superpowers in the satellite universe!!.IT'S 2004 AND THESE 2 SUPERPOWERS CANT PUT A BOX TOGETHER ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT--THEY DONT EVEN GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO RELEASE THE BOX!!! Voom will live and learn-the guide wont always go to ch100, you wont always have to go thru 3 steps to get a program guide and oh,by the way-- my 6000 couldnt give me ota program info and voom can do this right out of the box--so lets not forget VOOM is doing a lot of things right besides the problems we always hear about.
absolutely correct

mattyro said:

hehe... you start off your post with "I don't see the point of even arguing", yet you end with making your argument about VOOM's STB being better than E's? Yeah great post! BTW I could go on and on about how much greater the D*'s STB's are over VOOM's, but I don't really feel there's a need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)