VOOM in Portland, Oregon Area

I thought I was good yesterday, but my Matt Helm movie had a major picture freeze for about 4 minutes right in the middle of the show so I had to delete it. Today's Tom & Jerry had the same thing and my signal has been in & out all day. Tonight it's OK. It's a good thing I have OTA & Dish HD for backup.

Last night (Thursday), I had to give up watching Voom and put in a DVD. My signal was constantly freezing and the strength was running from the low 60's to 80 up and down constantly so I couldn't watch anything but OTA and there was nothing on I cared to watch. Even my trusty DishHD didn't have anything except the Blazer's on TNTHD and I got bored with that after 5 minutes. I caught the end of the San Antonio, Houston game, WOW, what a final minute.

Wow, it was really extreme weather since you also lost E*.
I had few break-ups around 7PM, then it worked fine until around 9:45PM when I started having more breakups again and almost missed the end of the Blazer game (yes, most of the game was boring, but the final was amazing).

Sorry about my wording above, I didn't lose E*, there just wasn't anything on that I cared to watch. In the 7 years that I've had E*, I've lost the signal one time that I know of for about 5 minutes (from 110/119 that is) and that was during an extreme downpour when I lived in Keizer about 3 years ago.

Hey guys:
For some weird reason, I'm now picking up KWBPD (32-1). As I posted before that was the only OTA channel I had problems with. Maybe the winter weather has somehow improved my OTA reception :)

Mine too, Walter. WB would not lock solid on my Voom box but in the last 2 weeks or so, it has jumped into the mid-80's and is solid.

Did you remember to rescan all the locals yesterday?

When I drive through residencial areas, ocassionally I keep an eye for the possibility of seeing a house with a VOOM dish. I've been doing this for about 10 mos. but I never seen one until today. It was on the 15th Ave, Hillsboro (not far from my work place). Anyway, this is such an unusual occurence that I though it deserve mention here :D
Anybody else ever spotted a house with VOOM dish? Anybody here lives on 15 Ave? :D

Walter, I always look at dishes as well, but what I look for is a dish pointing at 61.5 and they are rare.

Oregon City OTA?

Guys,

Anyone had experience with OTA near Oregon City? I am definatly looking to replace E* sometime, and Voom, that is if their DVR comes out, is looking like a good alternate.

Satellite signal level in the Great Pacific Northwest!

Hey guys and gals, I know that this might not be high in your priority right now (since the VOOM sale announcement) but life goes on.

We're working with a VOOM engineer in trying to determine what is the baseline for satellite signal quality in this corner of the U.S. using a 24" antenna. We get 98/97 in clear weather here in Seattle. We had partial signal loss (complete loss for about 10') this past Monday in our heavy rain. Signal got as low as 64. Seems like we lose lock below 70 and regain it going back up at 74.

What is your experience? Do those of you with 24" antennas ever lose the sat signal?

Watching HDTV in record heat (60 with 64 predicted) and fingers crossed in Seattle, Gill

Gill:
I upgraded to a 24" in November. Under clear skies my signal strenght is typically 96 (since it still goes through some trees). Since the upgrade, I've only lost the signal once in December under extreme weather.

I have a 24" with 97 on a clear day, starts breaking up at 72 and blacks out at 70. I do lose the signal, but it just depends how thick the clouds are over the Cascades. I've lost signal on a sunny day with thick black clouds over the mountains and kept a signal in the 80's with a torrential downpour coming from overhead and light skies over the mountains.

I Still Have The 18" That I Repeaked Myself. On Clear To Medium To High Cloud Cover I Get 95. For The Rest Of Weather I Get The Same As DarrellP.

Thanks, Pacific Northwesterners!

Unfortunately, it looks like sat signal quality is about to become a moot point but I appreciate your responses.

Still watching HDTV under lightly raining Seattle skies, Gill

Walter L. said:
When I drive through residencial areas, ocassionally I keep an eye for the possibility of seeing a house with a VOOM dish. I've been doing this for about 10 mos. but I never seen one until today. It was on the 15th Ave, Hillsboro (not far from my work place). Anyway, this is such an unusual occurence that I though it deserve mention here :D
Anybody else ever spotted a house with VOOM dish? Anybody here lives on 15 Ave? :D

LOL that's my house. I just had it installed last month! This is my first DBS ever. I just got an HDTV in January. My sig quality is 95 most days. I've had some weird pauses on the OTA stuff and KOIN won't come it at all, but other than that I've been ecstatic with all the commercial free HD content.

I'm always noticing sat dishes and I've seen a few that don't say Voom on them pointing at 61.5. I've seen 1 dish in my neighborhood pointing at 148.

VorpalBlade said:
LOL that's my house. I just had it installed last month! This is my first DBS ever. I just got an HDTV in January. My sig quality is 95 most days. I've had some weird pauses on the OTA stuff and KOIN won't come it at all, but other than that I've been ecstatic with all the commercial free HD content.
Welcome to VOOM and this forum!!! What OTA antenna did you get? I had some problem with my 1st antenna and called for an upgrade. Reception has been great since then.

Thanks for the welcome,

I feel a bit like I did in back in high school. I fell in in love with a beautiful girl my junior year who then moved away. I'm happy I got to experience Voom, but it looks like I'll just begin to enjoy it before I lose it forever! :(

I don't see anything on the paperwork about the OTA antenna, but I'll probably climb up there and see if I can improve the signal. It hasn't bothered me yet, I'm too busy watched all the Voom content to worry about locals yet.

I had a Superbowl party and that was certainly a success. I had to pass out some tissues to catch the drool... ;)

Wouldn't you know it-those guys and gals in Portland get all the fun!:

"Super-DMA is being released!
(Check this thread for details and discussion.)

Here is the proposed rollout schedule for this week:

Tuesday, 2/8/05
1 - New York
21 - Pittsburgh
41 - Norfolk/Portsmouth/Newport News VA
61 - Charleston/Huntington WV
81 - Shreveport, LA

Wednesday, 2/9/05
2 - Los Angeles
22 - St. Louis
42 - New Orleans
62 - Mobile, Al & Pensacola/Ft Walton Beach, FL
82 - Champaign/Springfield/Decatur, IL

Thursday, 2/10/05
3 - Chicago
23 - Portland, OR
43 - Memphis
63 - Knoxville, TN
83 - Huntsville/Decatur/Florence, AL

Already released:

27 - Hartford, CT

Stay tuned for further updates..."

But then in the Seattle area I'm not sure what having Super-DMA would do for us.

Pouting but still enjoying HDTV under very blue(take that foggy Portland!) Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)