VOOM in Portland, Oregon Area

Walter, I've noticed the same thing. It was sprinkling the other day and I checked my signal and it was 93 ~ 95, just as good as a sunny day. I had a very brief loss of signal for about 10 minutes last week when it was a torrential downpour, but other than that, it's been pretty stable.

Hey Walter. My signal got worse so I cancelled today. Sure jealous of you guys in the 90's. Even with the largest antenna, I never got higher than the low 80's. It just wasn't meant to be for me. I'll be back when they add a west coast bird (good luck with that right?).

Vince2 said:
Hey Walter. My signal got worse so I cancelled today. Sure jealous of you guys in the 90's. Even with the largest antenna, I never got higher than the low 80's. It just wasn't meant to be for me. I'll be back when they add a west coast bird (good luck with that right?).
Hey vince, did you ever build that 2nd floor that you mentioned once? If I remember correctly you mentioned that you told your wife that you needed a 2nd floor because the kids needed more space; however, your "hidden" agenda was to get a better shot at the Voom bird :D

Vince2 Last Night From 6-8PM I Lost Voom Picture. My Signal Went Down To Between 56-59. Today My CC Will Be Charged. I Guess I Will Give Voom 2 More Weeks Then Cancel & Cancel Or Change My CC Number.
I Will Give Voom Two Weeks To Tell Us All Some Hopeful News (Bigger Dish, New Sat.s, Merger With Dish Network, Whatever)
I Have The Original 18" Dish. When It's Nice Weather Now I Get A Signal Up To The Mid 90's, When Cloudy 84-91, Light To Mod. Rain 74-84, A Good Oregon Rain 56-72

Walter...Yes, you have a good memory. We wanted to get it done this summer, but it got stuck in Engineering in the City Planning office (still there in fact). No way we are going to rip the roof off this late in the season so we are stuck until next spring/summer. Should have a better shot on the new higher roof, but that is a year away as I see it and there is no sense spending $130+ a month for my Voom package while it is unusable. I am really gonna miss LaLiga soccer on Worldsport and several other programs, but what can I do? Looks like I'm back to Comcast in the interim. Meanwhile, I am palnning on a central distribution center for video in the remodelled house. Hopefully, VOOM will have their box capable of serving multiple rooms by then.

Hey buffetta...do you want to try a 24" dish??? Voom told me they are only picking up the STB's and are leaving the dish "for the next tenant". Seeing I have no use for it, you are welcome to it.

wbuffetta said:
Vince2 Last Night From 6-8PM I Lost Voom Picture. My Signal Went Down To Between 56-59.
I Have The Original 18" Dish. When It's Nice Weather Now I Get A Signal Up To The Mid 90's, When Cloudy 84-91, Light To Mod. Rain 74-84, A Good Oregon Rain 56-72
You should take Vince up on his offer for the bigger dish, it will help a lot. I'm glad I have DIsh HD and all the local OTA to fall back on just in case, but I rarely lose my VOOM signal any more.

Keep in mind that it doesn't matter what is happening overhead, it's what the clouds look like over the Cascades.

Vince2 said:
Hey buffetta...do you want to try a 24" dish??? Voom told me they are only picking up the STB's and are leaving the dish "for the next tenant". Seeing I have no use for it, you are welcome to it.
vince, If buffeta doesn't take it, I will do it. Although my signal most of the time is good, sometimes I lose it.
BTW, going back to Comcast seems like a best choice for you (as oppose to D* or E*). A lot of things have changed since we switched to VOOM. Now 1394 port is working and they've added Discovery HD and Fox HD.

Vince2 said:
Vince, if you have a 24" dish, what's your issue? Is it not tweaked properly or do you have trees in the way?

Darrell: I'm shooting through neighboring trees. Probably never should have been installed in the first place, but I did have many good reception days this summer.
Walter: you are also welcome to it. Let's wait until my de-install (is that a word?...like de-plane I guess) on Friday to make sure CSR was right and they leave it.

At the AVSForum Portland OTA thread it was posted that PAX recently went digital:

22-1 (KPXG-DT)
22-2 (PAX-East)
22-3 (PAX-Worship)
22-4 (PAX-Faith)

In anybody getting those channels yet? I'll try an OTA re-scan this evening.

I thought they were a ways off since on antennaweb.org they are still listed as having an FCC waiver for delaying.

The "De-install" guy just left. He left the dish. PM me if you want it, as I'm unlikely to return to this board much. Signin' off............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)