VOOM in Portland, Oregon Area

DarrellP said:
Lee Wood, our CBS engineer at KOIN tried to explain it once, but it was just a bag of hot air. He claimed people without stretch capability for HD would suffer burnin (he happens to have such a set). I argued back that they could watch the downconverted signal via S-Video then his set could control the stretch/zoom but he just wouldn't buy that argument.
That's the most ridiculous explanation I ever heard :p; and if they really worry about that, they could transmit gray bars like ESPN-HD.

Success story. After the installer of the system come out several times to check the system, it is working perfectly now. There was a problem with a connection through the splitter and a bad box that was causing problems with ota on one box and picture loss at below a signal strength of 70. During a very hard rain the other day I had signal strength of 35 and was receiving program no problem. Very happy now with the service, hope they survive.

Greg J.

I'm getting continuous break-ups in OTA channel 32.1 (KWPDT). I've made the following observations:

For channels 2.1, 6.1, 8.1, 10.1, 12.1 (receive without problems):

Power: ~80
SNR: ~29
Quality: 98

For KWPDT 32.1 (continuous break-ups):

Power: ~80
SNR: ~17
Quality: ~86

In other words, in comparing KWPDT against other stattions, it looks like I'm getting the same signal strengh (~80) but for some reason the SNR is lower (17 vs. 29) at my location (approx 8-9 miles west to the towers, near Orenco Station in Hillsboro).

Anybody else having problems with 32.1?

Walter, I tuned in WB last night and it was rock solid, no audio or video glitches and it looked very good.

DarrellP said:
Walter, I tuned in WB last night and it was rock solid, no audio or video glitches and it looked very good.
Can you post your numbers (Power, SNR & Quality) when you have a chance?

DarrellP said:
Should I be tuned to WB when I check? I normally have in the 80's when I check the OTA.
Yes. The observation I've done is that my WB signal strength (power) is about 80 which is similar to all other channels that I don't have problem. However, its SNR is much lower than others (~17 vs. ~29).
If you tune WB and your power/SNR and it comes to be something like 80 / 29, that would confirm my suspiction.

I'll check it out tonight and let you know. Are you sure you don't have a signal path issue?

DarrellP said:
I'll check it out tonight and let you know. Are you sure you don't have a signal path issue?
It's possible, but how to heck to know? The weird think is that the only affected channel is WB.

I Wrote That Message Just As I Was Getting Some Breakup. It Lasted For About 10 Min. Then Went Away. Since Then No Breakups At All.

It was a 24 inch dish. However I was a little overly optimistic it does go hard during moderately hard rain, but it is still much better than before. I think once the new bird goes up the it will get much better still.

Greg

Hey Portlanders, our local Fox station is now broadcasting on 12-1, used to be 30-1, so if you are having issues tuning in, do an auto scan, all the Portland stations will now come into the Voom receiver with the autoscan.

Also, Fox is now broadcasting in 720p, getting ready for the 15th HD launch. We should also have UPN firing up HD on the 15th, so get ready for a rocking night of Enterprise.

DarrellP said:
Hey Portlanders, our local Fox station is now broadcasting on 12-1, used to be 30-1, so if you are having issues tuning in, do an auto scan, all the Portland stations will now come into the Voom receiver with the autoscan.

Also, Fox is now broadcasting in 720p, getting ready for the 15th HD launch. We should also have UPN firing up HD on the 15th, so get ready for a rocking night of Enterprise.
Good news!!! I guess we're not anymore the largest US market without it :)

Have you guys been watching the Fox HD? The Seattle game was about 1/2 in HD today, it looked pretty good. Funny thing, it looked a lot better on my Dish 6000 than on the Voom stb. With the Voom stb, the grass was smudgey and dancing like crazy, while with my 6000, it was just barely moving.

Let's hope UPN gets fixed this week for Enterprise.

Hey guys, anybody experiencing rain fade these days? Ironically, my signal is better these days (~95) than during the summer (~90), even when it rains. I think it has to do with the trees losing leaves :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)