VOOM in Portland, Oregon Area

Gill, thanks for the info. I've completely ignored the thread about Super-DMA because I'm not sure that it will do anything here. Anybody else have different opinions?
BTW, no fog here. Blue skies :)

Yeah, but who can get it? I don't have a SETI antenna in my backyard. A bud of mine in Dallas can get Portland and Corvallis stations, but I think it would be quite a stretch for Portlanders to receive them.

DarrellP, I was sure you got signals from outer space! and now I'm disappointed.

Yes, I was wondering what additional OTAs you would be getting down south. Looks like maybe none.

Having fun and watching HDTV under foggy Seattle skies, Gill

Walter L. said:
What OTA antenna did you get? I had some problem with my 1st antenna and called for an upgrade. Reception has been great since then.

Looks like a "T" when it's mounted on the mast. It has two "fins" on it with slots in them. They look like they slide outward from the center enclosure which is a rectangular box that is slightly larger on one side, kinda like an airfoil shape to it.

I went up today and tried to rotate it to improve the signal on 2-1 and 6-1 but I could only get a couple percent improvement. That may fix my sporadic breakups with ABC but CBS is still not strong enough to lock on. I did not try to pivot the mast. I assume that the antenna should remain horizontal. If that is not the case let me know.

DarrellP, you no doubt know this already since you are the expert "skeeter" tracker on the VOOM forum but we went in to our local Frys today. Besides looking for a new computer monitor (got one at Costco) had to check out the HDTVs. Plasmas all over the place with nice bright pics (of course the potential customers were oooing and aaahing) to make sure you could see them from a 100' away. But beyond the in your face pic there were motion actifacts and skeeters everywhere. Asked a salesman the source. DirecTV and showing guess what?--Discovery!

Just watched Lord of the Rings: Return of the King on Starz via VOOM. No skeeters.
Yes, as you know we've seen the dratted beasts on other VOOM channels.

Still hunting skeeters in HD under way to dry (Portland, as well?) Seattle skies, Gill

Portland weather was awesome today, but we are now getting a bit of a sprinkle. DiscoveryHD on Dish is awesome! I had company tonight and I showed them DiscoveryHD (on Dish) while the Japanese show was on and it was breathtaking. When I turn on DiscoveryHD on Voom, it is: ????? What happened to the PQ? Very dissappointing. I sure hope the new encoders help, I would really love to watch more Voom but many of the shows just turn me off due to the PQ.

Over at AVSForum, people have been bitching about D* and HDLite for quite awhile now. Maybe that will change with the new birds going up? I hope so for the subs sake, I couldn't take it the way it is.

I've checked out EquatorHD a few times in the last week and it seems the skeeters are less, but the picture is quite a bit softer, maybe a tradeoff?

Walter L. said:
Gill:
I upgraded to a 24" in November. Under clear skies my signal strenght is typically 96 (since it still goes through some trees). Since the upgrade, I've only lost the signal once in December under extreme weather.

FYI,

Not a Voomer, but I used to receive the Dish Network HD signals off the same 61.5 degree bird.

I used a 24" dish for this bird, supplied by Dish Depot. I had line of sight, 'would get a signal reading about 90 (on the scale of the Dish receivers), and very rarely lost lock.

I think the 18" dish is too small for this poart of the country.

Any one here watch The WB in portland? The picture has been terrible lately with major macro blocking and softness. Please take a peek and send your comments to Pat Shearer at: PShearer@tribune.com.

Thanks,

Darrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)