VOOM in Portland, Oregon Area

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Anybody tried VOOM this morning under the heavy rain + black clouds. My signal quality is as low as 37. I hope mys signal is back for the NBA gama this evening

Yes My Voom Was Also Down. On D*s HD Package All HD Channels OK But Bravo HD Slight Breakup & HDNet Was Gone.
I Have Ordered A 24" Round Winegard Dish For 30 Bucks Plus 16.95 For Shipping.
It Is Less Expensive Then Having To Take A Day Off From Work Waiting For Voom To Install A Larger Dish.

Walter L. said:
Anybody tried VOOM this morning under the heavy rain + black clouds. My signal quality is as low as 37. I hope mys signal is back for the NBA gama this evening
Sorry, Walter, I have to work for a living. ;)

I'm jealous, I have to drive 1 hour each way, no wonder I don't get to watch very much TV!

Yeah, Walter, you got the dish up yet? BTW, I no longer commute an hour to work, as of Monday, I am unemployed.

Walter L. said:
Sorry to hear that. Any potential employers?
I have a few leads that look good. I've even thought of canning the computer industry and moving into home theater, I think that is my true passion. ;)

So who's watching the Seattle game OTA? Here's my ASSessment (emphasis on the ASS):
I'm watching Seattle OTA in Portland and it sucks! There are squiggly artifacts around every single object on the field, the lines, the players, etc on wide field shots. The closeups look pretty good.

FOX claims this is "The best HD format available". HAH! What a joke. And the announcer's voices keep meandering between the center channel and the surrounds.

Darrel, post your Fox complain at AVSForum and you'll get an answer from foxeng telling you that you shoukd be graceful of what Fox is doing and stop complaining since they may quit giving you that free "HD service" :p

Installed 24" dish

I finally installed the 24-inch that I got from vince (to replace my 18" dish). Under cloudy skies today, signal quality went from 91 to 95. :yes
BTW, vince if you're still here, your dish had a skew angle of ~88-89 degrees (as oppose to 90). I assumed that it was intended and didn't change it. Is that the correct skew angle for our area or was that unintended?

Hi Walter. I don't know where or why the skew angle was set. It is what it was when it was installed. You could probably mess around with it to maximize your signal. Did you get a meter? I could sell you mine if you like. I have little use for it now. Vince.

Vince, I didn't get a meter. I suspect that 95 may be the best I can get since my signal is still coming through trees. Anyway, if I run into problems again, I'll get your meter and go back to the roof, fix the skew and try a re-peak. Once again, thanks for the dish.

Walter, I'll bet you wish it would rain, huh? You're just itching to try out your new dish, right?

DarrellP said:
Walter, I'll bet you wish it would rain, huh? You're just itching to try out your new dish, right?
Well the few times it has rained, my signal has stayed 90+ and I like to think that I would have lost signal with my old 18" dish. Maybe one of these days, while raining, I should temporately re-install the old dish (under the cold, rain, thunderstorms or maybe snow) to convince myself :eek: :shocked :D

Believe me, Walter, the bigger dish helps out a LOT. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and I ain't going back!

How you guys holding up with this rainfall? I watched Voom from 6-11 pm tonight and made several recordings today and so far not a single glitch.

How you holding out, Walter?

DarrellP said:
How you guys holding up with this rainfall? I watched Voom from 6-11 pm tonight and made several recordings today and so far not a single glitch.

How you holding out, Walter?
Same thing here. Since I got my 24" dish, the lowest signal quality I've ever seen is 87. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)