VOOM in Portland, Oregon Area

With our cloudy, misty weather today, I have a 94 signal strength after tweaking my 24" dish last weekend, YEE-HAA!

I don't have voom yet, but I hear a lot of people talk about moving the dish around to get better reception. Is this a necessary thing to do if you want to maintain a good picture, or do people just like to mess around with these things? It seems like an awful lot of work if it is necessary to maintain a good picture.

sloud74 said:
I don't have voom yet, but I hear a lot of people talk about moving the dish around to get better reception. Is this a necessary thing to do if you want to maintain a good picture, or do people just like to mess around with these things? It seems like an awful lot of work if it is necessary to maintain a good picture.
Not everybody. I had mine installed ~1.5 month ago and I haven't touch it. It works just fine even with my 18" dish (as oppose to 24") and even a diplexer (for cable TV). My signal strength is most of the time steady 90-94. My philosophy is: if it works, don't mess with it :D

Darrel: I was finally able to get 12-1 (Fox) during the weekend and it did not look streched. Is it still looking streched at your projector?

I Am Not Worried About The 18" Issue. There Are Only A Few Possible Days That We Might Have Rain Problems Until We Get The 20X35 Inch Dish.

Walter L. said:
Darrel: I was finally able to get 12-1 (Fox) during the weekend and it did not look streched. Is it still looking streched at your projector?
It's stretched on every TV I have, my 27", my 13" that I monitor my HT stuff on and my pj. I can fill it out to normal using my pj stretch modes, but on the NTSC TV's, they are both stretched. What are your settings in the Video Setup Menu? I've tried different settings with no change.

BTW, Portlander's, in case you haven't noticed, the WB is now broadcasting HD!! :D

Hi Darrell et al - I'm back. You gave me good advice concerning dropping DISH now and signing up with VOOM - and that was basically to wait until they get larger dishes etc. in order to stabilize reception in our area. This is what I WAS going to do - BUT now that I read here that they are going to DROP this present Sign Up for FREE offer on the 31st. I am really strongly considering taking me chances and going for it before they p the anty getting started with VOOM.
I see on EBAY I could get at a minmum $200 for my PVR 508 - which I will really miss.
What do you think?

TKS Michael

Micheal, I kept my PVR 501 and the Portland locals. If you go that route so you can record locals, you are only looking at a monthly bill of $10.99 for Dish. If you can swing it, I'd go that route, then you'll still have TV when it rains hard and be able to record your shows and you can dump it after Voom comes out with their PVR.

Did you get the thunderstorms and rain last night in Beaverton? I think the Western edge of it just brushed Woodburn, so it may not have hit you, but my Voom dish was looking at nothing but black clouds and my signal went to ZERO for about 1/2 hour, then after the thunderstorm passed through it was still raining and my signal jumped up to 88-90 even though it was still raining.

I would ask them for a 24" dish right off the bat and see if they'll give it to you, just understand that you will lose your signal periodically.

Has anybody in Portland received a 30" dish yet??

BTW: New subscribers- Adams Comm. should be avoided at all costs! Request DBS or someone else for your install. Many of us have had the frustration of trying to deal with Adams and it is time wasted. I've complained to Voom and Installs Inc. at the corporate level and it looks like they still do business with Adams. I've had 4 different installer's at my house (the first being the Ford van guy). Adams stood me up 3 times after taking the days off from work. They sometimes subcontract a guy named Steve (red pickup with trailer). He's the only competent one there, but he makes mistakes and misses appointments too. When I finally had Direct Broadcast come out, they emailed me appointment info, called the day before and the morning of the appointment, and did the cleanest install I've ever seen, explaining the work done in detail to me before leaving.

Mine is set to Auto, that's the only way I can get my NTSC TV's to display properly on all channels, plus the SD looks better on my pj when set to Auto. KPTV is the only channel that has the vertical stretch and it's on both sub channels.

YO! Darrell,
YES the "gods" were Bowling above Beaverton yesterday evening - EXCITING stuff.
Well since you kept your DISH for locals - apparently VOOM was unable to get you good reception of OTA channels via somekind of outdoor antenna eh?
They don't guarantee OTA reception do they?
To tell the truth - I think this is ALL a pipe dream for ME, the more I follow along here and there the more it appears that HDTV is out of my reach on my limited SS retirement. I prensently pay DISH $39.99 per month - and that is about my limit, but to get started now with VOOM I would go to $39.99 + 9.99 rental - call that $50 a month, BUT I read here today that in 2005 they will be charging $49.99 per mont for that VOOM package. That would make a monthly bil of about $60. Guess better count me blessings and stay with DISH - when I put my glasses on it looks lie HDTV to me anyway (HeHee)

TKS for all the help here,

Michael

Micheal, I have excellent OTA reception, but I still need the DVR for recording shows that I can't watch live. I usually go to bed at 9 pm, so all the good stuff comes on at that time, I usually record: CSI, CSI Miami, Crossing Jordan, Without A Trace, etc since I can't stay up that late (I get up at 5 am and I need my beauty sleep).

It's a bummer the price is going up. If it goes above $49, I may drop Voom as well, I'm sick and tired of all the program price increases over the years. On the brighter side, if Voom picks up HDNET and gets the PVR out, I can dump Dish and save $28/month. That $28 is only buying me Portland locals and 2 HD channels (HDNET & HDNET Movies) since I now get DiscHD & ESPNHD from Voom.

Actually, I can probably dump Dish locals next week since I just ordered a new DVD recorder with a hard drive built in, so I can now record all of my shows off the Voom box or my Dish 6000 and burn them to DVD if I want to keep them.

Micheal, if you'd ever like to see Voom in action, you are more than welcome to give me a visit to check it out, I always like to "demo" my home theater.

Take care,

Darrell

Walter, I just talked to the guy from Adams Comm and the installer that came out and told me I had no LOS wasn't one of his installers. He is sending out Steve on Monday. So I hope Steve came go through for me, I want my Voom. If not I'm hosed until they get a satellite high in the sky.

Charlie

Charlie, stand looking due South and extend your left arm to about where the minute hand of a clock would be at 9:47 & shoot an 11 degree arc into the sky, this is where the satellite is located. If you have any obstructions you can't overcome at that location, you are S.O.L.

Good Luck,

Darrell

Thanks Darrell, using my compass it looks ok. There are a couple of big trees but I thinks I'll be ok. I have check several location around my house and it looks like I'll have a clear shot. That is unless my compass is screwed up.

Charlie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts