VOOM in Portland, Oregon Area

You may be too far East to receive the signal, last I heard they transmitted a peanut shaped wave that pretty much covered the I-5 corridor. Send an email to: dtvtest@kpdx.com or Ed.Williams@kpdx.com, tell them where you are located and if you are in their signal path. These are old emails so they may not work. I know you can't send Ed an email with a Hotmail account because he has those blocked.

Where do you live in Portland? I live in NW in the Bethney area. The installer told me the that I didn't have a good line of sight because the satellite was too low. I was really bummed out. I wanted Voom really bad.

cgscot49,
I live about 5-7 miles to the east of where you are (near Hillsboro). As I mentioned in the the 1st post of this thread, my 1st installer also reported no-lign-of-sight but I didn't give up and finally got it installed. I've been vooming for ~2 mos. Tell us more about your failed installation attempt. How hard the installer tried it? did he ever got the dish out of thtruck? or did he use a compass? did he say it was because of a some obstruction such as hill, trees?

Bad Line of Sight

Walter, where do you live in Portland? I live in NW Portland in the Bethaney area. The installer told me that I had a bad line of sight, the satellite is too low. He told me about the same thing that only 2 of 8 installs he does are good. I wish I could remember his name.

Charlie

cgscot49, I think we're typing at the same time. See my previous post. By the way my 1st installer said that his success rate was only 5 out of 25. He's just a LOSER.

Bad line of sight

He some kind of device I don't know what it was. He just came to my door and told me the house arcoss the street was in the way. He never to the dish or anything out of the trunk. I got the feeling that he didn't want to try to do the install.
Charlie

cgscot49, do you know if the local company was Adams Communications or Direct Broadcast Satellite. The 1st one has 2 installer: the lazy guy (don't remeber his name) and a guy named Steve who works part-time. THis guy (Steve) did my final installation. I never use the other company (Direct Broadcast Sat), but I heard of very positive installations.

Hey guys, the WB is now broadcasting in HD, they started last night. If you notice any issues or PQ problems please contact: Pat Shearer: pats@wb32tv.com.

Also, how about sending him a nice thank you note for getting it up and running? He has put a lot of work into getting the microwave problem fixed.

Thanks,

Darrell

DarrellP said:
Hey guys, the WB is now broadcasting in HD, they started last night. If you notice any issues or PQ problems please contact: Pat Shearer: pats@wb32tv.com.

Also, how about sending him a nice thank you note for getting it up and running? He has put a lot of work into getting the microwave problem fixed.

Thanks,

Darrell
What channel does it maps to on the VOOM STB.

Walter, I think the guys was from Adams. He drove a old Ford van. I think this weekend I'll go to Sears buy a system and try it out myself. I install my DirecTV HD system by myself. If it doesn't work I'll take it back. By the way what is the direction of the satellile and the pointing angle?

Charlie

Charlie:
Old Ford Van - it sounds like you got the "lazy" installer. Don't go to Sears. They won't offer you anything different than what you ordered. Voom doesn't allow self-installs: even if you buy it from Sears. I recommend you to call Adams and/or VOOM and demand a 2nd opinion. Explain that your installer didn't even try to get the dish out of the truck to see if there was a signal and that you know other installation around your area that worked in a 2nd attempt - even when the 1st installer reported no-lign-of-sign (my case).

Walker, thanks for the info I will call them up and see what happens. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Charlie

Walter, one more note. I just called to set another install . And the rep has me if I was the one in a single story house with a 3 story condo across from me. I told him I have a 2 story house with a 2 story house across from me. I guess the guy doesn't like to get up on the roof to do installs.

Charlie

Charlie: I'll bet is the same guy. I haven't figure out yet how he hasn't been fired. Maybe what happens is that since he works full-time at Adams he's on a fixed salary thus he makes the same money no matter if installs or fails. The other part-time installer (Steve) probably gets payed only when he installs. Hopefully, they send Steve this time.
Did you call Adams or VOOM?

Good. Hopefully they just send Direct Broadcast Satellite or Cascade Satellite (both have good records). Even if they re-send Adams Comm, they will probably send Steve.

Well thanks again, I have to get back to work here at wonderful Intel.

Charlie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)