VOOM in Portland, Oregon Area

Charlie: don't worry much about the big trees. My signal goes through some about 500 ft away and it works just fine. Good luck!

Walter, the Gods have truely blessed your system, you have an 18" dish looking through trees and you have an excellent signal! How do you do it?

DarrellP said:
Walter, the Gods have truely blessed your system, you have an 18" dish looking through trees and you have an excellent signal! How do you do it?
Plus I use a diplexer for VOOM and Comcast :shocked

How I do it? Don't you see my avatar :D

I think that my dish is pointing to a narrow spaces in between the trees. I'm afraid to touch it because I feel that if it moves a little bit, I'll never be lucky to get it through the same spot again.

Hopefully on Monday I'll get my Voom. I want to get in before that $199 install fee kicks in.

Charlie

cgscot49 said:
Hopefully on Monday I'll get my Voom. I want to get in before that $199 install fee kicks in.
Charlie
Don't worry. The FREE installationapplies to everybody who order by 5/31 regardless of installation date.

Floyd from Adams Comm.

I got a call this weekend from Floyd of Adam's Comm. He wanted to bump up my install to Saturday. Has anyone had Floyd do their installs?

Niteskie said:
I got a call this weekend from Floyd of Adam's Comm. He wanted to bump up my install to Saturday. Has anyone had Floyd do their installs?

GOOD LUCK. I have not heard alot of great things about Adams.
DBS is the other installer for your area. They work had too make it work for you. Be nice but push Adams and if you dont buy what they tell you. Have Voom send DBS.

IT has worked for many here in the northwest!

Welcome to Voom. IT ROCKS!

Nikeskie,
As iceshark suggested, give Adams Comm a trial but be very skeptical if they say you don't have lign-of-sign. Specially, beware of a "lazy" installer that drives a blue Ford van (don't remember his name). Read the 1st post of this thread for my story.

Niteskie said:

Floyd actually rerturned a call? Holy cow, you are already ahead of the game. LOL. I'm sure you'll experience the same level of service from Adams as the rest of us. Keep Installs Inc.'s number handy.

On another note, I was again scheduled for a 30" dish last week (after much complaining), but DBS said they didn't have any in stock and Voom was no longer offering them in our area. I went back and forth with VOOM and ordered my "service" be cancelled due to lack of stable signal. They gave me two free months to see if I really wanted to do that. So I guess I'm sticking around for a little longer.

And for the next 2 months we will have very little rain.

Speaking or rain, how'd everyone fair on Saturday? In Woodburn, we had a torrential downpour for about an hour and I lost my signal for about 30 minutes.

DarrellP said:
And for the next 2 months we will have very little rain.
My thoughts exactly. Interestingly, Voom only gave me free programming (Vavavoom) for this time period. I'll still have to pay rental fee for the extra box. I also could not convince them to give me free Playboy. All-in-all though, it was enough to keep me around, even though I can only watch on clear days.

Speaking of PlayboyHD, I dropped it after 1 month due to the content that was airing during our Primetime (the call in shows), I could never catch any of the regular shows or movies. This weekend I bought a Panasonic E85 Harddrive/DVD recorder and resubbed to PlayboyHD. This is one nice player, it cleans up the source material and outputs it at 480p via component. I'm a happy camper!! Now I can record (and burn to DVD) all the shows I could never catch before.

Just Got Voomed

I am one happy dude :) Steve just left and my Voom is installed and working. When he drove up he took out his compass and said no problem. I'm just waiting for the downloads to finish :smug

Charlie

Charlie,
Welcome to HD heaven!!! In case that you are not aware, during 1st few days your box will be running with the old software which has some bugs and is slow during channel changing (~4 secs). Then you'll get the upgrade to 5.68 which will make everything stable and allow fast channel changing.

Vince2 said:
Darrell. Where did you find the best place to buy the E85? I was thinking the same thing.
I got mine at ecost.com for $556. This is a fantastic machine. It allows shortening of recorded shows, so you can edit out commercials or the fluff at the beginning and ending of a show. I tried it last night and it works great. It also allows changing of the Thumbnail that it selects for a show. This is a great feature since I record a lot of PBHD and I can go in and select a "non-nasty" thumbnail. I love this box so much that for a lot of material, I just view the downrezzed material straight through the recorder since it looks so good. It outputs to 480p.

One added note, I didn't take the OTA antenna. I bought this Terk HDTVi Antenna Pro at Bestbuy. It really works great, I pull in all the local HDTV signals with no problem. When I was using it on my Hughes HD receiver the signal would drop out. But with the Voom receiver everything comes in great. Will my signal strength get better to with the upgrade to 5.68? Right now it's 47-50.

Charlie

Charlie: If your signal is 47-50 you shouldn't have any problem. The 5.68 upgrade doesn't improve signal strength but instead uses a different scale. My guess is that you'll be around 97 after the upgrade.
By the way, you are very close to the towers so any antenna should work fine for OTA.

Charlie:
Since you're close to my area, can you keep an eye on your OTA reception of Fox (12-1/12-2) and WB (32-1)? Ocasionally, I don't get a signal on those. Everything else works always fine for me. Report here when/if you loss signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts