VOOM Installations

Another Voomer Coming Soon...

After the purchase of my first 65" Hitachi HDTV last week I tuned into my local PBS station and was blown away by the HDTV picture that was broadcast right before my eyes. After investment in a new Channel Master 4228 and pre-amp I was disappointed to found out that I can barely pull in my local NBC affiliate and not a peep from the CBS feed (which both stations do HDTV in primetime). I can receive ABC great but the cheap a**es only do SD in primetime. I guess being in the mountains of WNC has it's disadvantages with respect to digital tv reception..

I read a statement that once you saw a high def broadcast nothing else would suffice. Boy were they right. After a LOT of reading about the gripes and praise stories I decided to bite the hook and go with VOOM. I wanted a regular HDTV broadcast feed besides having to wait until primetime and then I only had NBC and PBS to choose from.

Everyone talks about the initial cost of $750 being so high but I remember years back when I bought my first D* dish and receiver it was almost that back then. Then a few years after that I spent another $250 for a second receiver just to get an optical audio out connection for my surrund sound system. Considering the HDTV receivers from D* are almost $400 to buy outright and what little they have to offer in HD I feel that VOOM is a better investment. D* and E* both took time to build their customer base and I don't see why some people think that VOOM should be any different.

Anyway to make a long story short, my install is scheduled for the 26th after 12 noon. I will be taking down my pole mounted D* dish and ready it for the VOOM installer. This should make his job a quick one since the cable is already run as well. I will report back in on how things go and hope to see VOOM take off and become very successful in the future.

Thanks for a great forum and all the info you guys post here. It's nice to have a place to come to for info and updates..

Happy Holidays..
Rick

Rick,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your local situation. But glad to hear that you decided to become a VOOMER. Let us know how your installation goes and your opinion about the VOOM programming and system. If you have any problems do not hesitate to post, as you may get a quicker answer here than with VOOM customer support.

We want to hear about your positive or negative impressions about the VOOM system. We believe that positive reviews will detail how good the HD is in VOOM but negative will also alert VOOM to make improvements. These improvements could be technical or in their programming. VOOM has made a lot of improvements already since the day that it was launched. Thanks and welcome again.

If you think your VoOm install went bad just read this!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=341119&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

E* is no walk in the park either...

At least the VoOm csr's are polite :)
GG

This reminds me that went I first decided to leave cable and get satellite I was re-searching both E* and D*. I went to both companies website to see what they were offering. I telephone D* first because I could not find any offer about 6 receivers (which it was my main interest). I do not remember the exact comment the CSR made but it was very rude and he did not give me any useful information.

I called E* and they were very polite and layout my two options for the six receivers - buy them or lease them. I was very comfortable with their explanation and decided to go with E* just based on the fact that I got very good/polite service from E* csr. My installation date arrived and it was not great. First no one showed up and no one called me. I had to call E* and be re-schedule for another appointment. This time they sent one of their installers (not a third party vendor). The installer was able to connect all six receivers.

When E* started offering locals and the dish 61.5 for free, I made another installation date for this and again installation was messed up. The installer wanted to charge me for a switch when E* clearly told me that it was free. Had a long discussion with all three parties and finally they agreed to do it.

At another time one of switches went bad and even though I went through a technician through all the procedures over the phone and he was able to determine that it was a bad switch, E* needed to send an installer just to confirm the same. I told E* not to waste their time. I went to my local installer bought the switch and installed it myself. I sent the bad switch to E* to get a replacement.

When I bought my two 6000 receivers since I am in the DHP, E* could not send me the empty boxes for the two receivers I was replacing. First, they wanted to send me the boxes; after I shipped the receivers to them and they received them then I was able to authorize the two 6000 receivers. This was going to take about a week. I said no and replaced the two receivers but never sent the 311s to E*. I still have the two 311 home disconnected.

In conclusion, E* and D* does not offer the best or perfect service either. I have learned that the best thing to do is to learn yourself what to do when something goes wrong. I rarely called E* for service because it is a waste of time since I can do it myself.

My Voom Installation Never happened!

My Voom Installation NEVER happened!
I had set up my Voom Install for Wednesday, Jan 7th about 2 weeks ago. I scheduled that day off from work. The scheduled time window was supposed to be between 8a-12n. I also scheduled myself off from work today (Thursday) as a final vacation day. Late Tuesday afternoon I called Voom to confirm that my install was still on schedule. To my surprize, I was told the work order was showing 12n-5pm on one part of the order and 8a-12 on another. I was told they would definitely be there sometime on Wednesday. Wednesday morning and afternoon came and went. After wasting 1 of my final 2 vacations days, I called Voom at 6pm and the customer service agent (was was very sympathetic) called the Installs Inc installer to find out what happened. The installer relayed that they were behind and that it would be either next Tuesday or the following Saturday after that before I could be worked back in. I politely told the customer service agent that I was not available on either day. I said that I Voom could not install me on Thursday, I would likely cancel my order altogether and go with the competiton this spring. A Installs Inc manager called me about 6:30pm last evening and said if they could arrainge a Thursday install they would call me back. Guess what its after 10:30am and no call. I of course don't expect to get one either. My main gripe is that no one bothered to call me on Wednesday to tell me I had been cancelled. The weather was clear, so I had no reason to expect cancellation, especially since I had confirmed the day before. Although I could set up another appointment with Voom, I seriously doubt that I will. Customer service is extremely important to me and I doubt that Installs Inc is reliable. Contractors have the responsibility to call and cancel appointments just like the rest of us! Voom needs its own Installation division or either a bunch of very, very patient and forgiving customers.
I'll post tonight if by some miracle I get Installed later today, but I'm not holding my breath. I plan on calling Voom at 6pm today and cancelling my account. If a company doesn't have excellent support, I'm not interested. Especially when that company seems to have little interest in me. I'll probably go with Directv instead or just keep my Comcast cable.

Update,
A very nice lady from Installs Inc called me at 4:45 pm to inquire if my installation had either been completed or if I had at least heard from the Installer during the course of the day. I told her that I had not heard from anyone all today. She offered to reschedule yet again and I politely told her I was hesitant after being stood up twice. In the end I did agree to give it one more shot, next Wednesday Jan 14th (4 hour window: 8am-12noon). I did ask her to please note to the Installer that I had been stood up twice and to please call me the morning of my appointment if they need to postpone or cancel again. I consider myself a reasonable guy, but if I'm stood up a third time (in Clear weather) with no phone call- Voom will have lost a subscriber permanently........Harry

Welcome to the club, I had the very same situation as you. Finally got VOOM, OTA does not work due to cheap ant. Wish I had not gotten involved with such a poorly designed system, does not compare with Direct. Do not be impressed by all the talk. Very disappointing to me. Will cancel & go to Direct HD if they don't come in with all promised HD and many more SD.

Welcome to the club, I had the very same situation as you. Finally got VOOM, OTA does not work due to cheap ant. Wish I had not gotten involved with such a poorly designed system, does not compare with Direct. Do not be impressed by all the talk. Very disappointing to me. Will cancel & go to Direct HD if they don't come in with all promised HD and many more SD.

I had an appointment from Direct Broadcast Satellite to bring out my new Voom receiver this past Wednesday. We had a bit of a snowstorm and I wondered if I would see the new receiver. Luckily, they had the decency to call me to tell me that they would not be coming to my house. We rescheduled for Friday. I would have been upset if they had just plain failed to show up at all without a call.

Too many Trees!

I had to cancel my Install due to too many tall, dense trees surrounding my home. Installs Inc felt it would not be feasible. I appreciate the installer explaining the situation in detail. This would have been my first satellite experience, so I was not familiar with the important aspects of signals being blocked, etc. Its cable for me! Good luck to all.
P.S. Sean is one terrific moderator! Harry

How do I say this in my first post?

A friend told me about VOOM today. After reading as much info on it, I went ahead and placed an order. Is this "blind faith" or just "plain stupidity"? Don't answer that. :D

The installation is scheduled for 1/23/2004 between 8am and noon. I'm also taking a day off from work, so I hope that all goes well.

I would like to thank you, Sean Moto, for putting the VOOM information together and making it easier for the newbies to browse through before posting the same FAQ.

I'll update this thread with any information regarding the installation progress and/or procedures.

joe_2k,

Welcome to the board! I know that the following does not guarantee anything but try to get in touch with the local installer. Installs Inc will not give you the phone number of the local installer. However, they will let the local installer to give you a call. This has made some installations easier and smoother. It does not guarantee anything.

We all welcome your input whether good or bad. Let us know what happens.

from the $399 Voom Thread
joe_s2k said:
The CSR, named Barbara P., told me that ONLY the people who receive the mailer are eligible. I responded that I just signed up last night and would like to partake in this special offer. She then answers that she can't offer me that deal. I then ask to have my service/installation cancelled since I don't feel that this is fair to me. She graciously pulls up the computer screens to cancel my request.

Talk about trying to build up their customer base.

Oh well. It was fun for a day knowing that I could have had an HD Satellite.

End of story...

Now that I've cancelled, I received an email from the Houston Area installer.

Dear Joe ??????,
Thank you for your recent VOOM purchase. You're one step closer to life in high definition! Here are some details and suggestions to help you prepare for VOOM installation.

Contact Information For Your Installer
Your local installer will be contacting you to confirm your installation appointment.

Scheduled Date: 01/23/2004 - Morning
Account Reference: ??????
Installation Reference: ????-???

If you need to reach them, here is their contact information:

Company: Bailey Installation
Phone Number: (281) 914-6621
E-mail Address: BAILEYINSTALLATION@MSN.COM

Getting Ready For Installation
Keep in mind that the installer will need to go in and out of your house to check the VOOM equipment setup and ensure the best possible performance of your exciting new system. Please clear a path to your TV set(s) and disconnect all wiring to ensure easy access and quicker setup time.

Installation Overview
You have requested an installation for VOOM 1 ROOM INSTALLATION. Your installation will include (specific procedure varies by installation type purchased):

Mount 18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure of your home, and align to appropriate satellite(s).
Mount any and all digital antenna materials that will facilitate improved VOOM reception.
Route up to four lines of up to 125 feet (per run) of coaxial cable to HD receiver(s) using customer-provided multi-switch.
Ground satellite antenna and cable to local-NEC standards.
Connect HD receiver(s) to existing hard-wired phone jack(s) using supplied wire in DBS boxes.
Program supplied remote(s) to your TV set(s).
Activate customer-selected programming.
Provide instruction to familiarize the customer with the basic use of the system.

Additional Services
If you request the installer to perform additional work beyond what is included in the scope of work, the technician will provide a quote for the requested work prior to beginning the installation. Some examples of work resulting in additional charges include:

Wall-fishing to conceal cables in your walls (pricing varies based on access to wall(s) to be fished)
Pole mount, non-penetrating roof mount (pricing varies based on type of mount necessary)
Cable burial (pricing varies based on length and type of burial)
Installations requiring a 40-foot ladder (pricing based on local rental rate)

Any additional work you request or require will be determined by your technician and approved by you before the work begins. You will pay your technician directly for any additional services. This will be part of the confirmation call.

Thanks Again!
Thanks again for choosing VOOM! If you have any questions or concerns with regards to your order, please call 800-GET-VOOM.

When and if I decide to re-sign up, I'll post my experiences here.

pOiNTBLaNK said:
Just ordered! 2/24/04

Scheduled Install Date: 3/1/04

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Let us know how your installation goes. I like to know if at this point in the game, Installations have improved.

My install is on Tuesday 3/2. A couple of questions...

• How many cables do they run from the roof to the receivers?
  • Are the installers generally flexible in how and where these are run?