VOOM Installations

Today's Installations (be aware of)!

I just got my receiver swapped but installer could not activate the receiver. Apparently, VOOM is having technical problems at their location bringing up their system.

Here waiting for a call. They said they will call me within an hour.

Anyway, regarding the problem I had not getting the locals, it looked like it was a bad stb. The installer swapped the OTA module but nothing happened. After he switched the stb it looks now like the OTA strength is back to normal and I am not getting that crazy number I was getting.

One more thing. To be careful when swapping your OTA module always disconnect electrical power before doing that.

Westchester NY Voom Install happening any second

I've decided I want my HDTV and I want it now. I have Cablevision and Directv HD but decided Voom's new 49.95 a month was too good not to try.

My install for 8-Noon had called and said between Noon and 12:30, and here I am waiting (its 12:01).

I'm hopefull I can get two seperate lines run to my HDTV(as I have read in this forum) so I have one for the Voom signal and one for their OTA antenna.
Currently my Directv gets CBS/ABC/Faux HD stations with a Silver sensor/preamp coming from my attic. I'm hopeful their outside antenna will get me NBC and the WB(which is a weak 12-1 VHF 30 miles out so I'm unsure)

Any suggestions?

If all goes well today I will drop my Directv HD pacakge and maybe the HBO HD and go VaVoom for $89.95. I will lower my Directv by $30 doing this. Of course if Voom doesnt have ESPN by August I will get my ESPN HD back from Directv.

Wish me luck they are due any second.

The same here. I had my box replaced this morning (the recall of the older boxes...) Evidently they had problems sending initialization signals this morning. It's all seems to be fixed by now. I've got all my channels now.

By the way, the new box doesn't seem to be much different from the old one. Channel switching seems to be a bit faster, but not by much (at 1080i, anyway). The only noticable difference is that firmware was preloaded. The signal strength with the new box is lower: 62 vs. 72 I was getting before...

Thanks Sean.

So, the separate OTA coax (if not using diplexor) connects to the input on the far right. Right?

Installer just called. He is in the area. He said he is waiting for someone to call him and bring him my equipment?, and that he'll call me back to tell me exactly what time he'll be over. I can't understand why he wouldn't have the equipment with him.

I'll post an update when he calls me back.

Well, my VOOM install is in the process now and the guy is horrible. The installer is from two hours away. I live in the capitol of Iowa so you would think they could have found someone closer. The installer sent one guy who can't be more than 18. He has had to use my ladder and flashlight, and I have had to help him run wire. My place should have been a piece of cake since it is all prewire, you just have to get a wire to the junction box. We'll see if I can even get a signal when he finally gets stuff hooked up. He told me the dish would have to point mostly west to get a signal (I thought TV satellites orbited around the equator?), but he put up my dish to point south east. He's also screwed the insulation all up in the attic and tracked it all of the house. We'll see what happens next......

Finally got my box authorized. It downloaded my PG (without factory reset). This includes all my mapping.

Here are some good observations: If you go to VOOM---> Option & Settings ---> System Settings---> Installation Settings --> Report Back.

In the Report Back there's a trip count that counts from 0 - 4. When the receiver is connected it starts at 0. At 1 it makes the initial connection to the satellite. At 2 it stars downloading the PG with local mapping and filling it. At 3 it will start giving you VIDEO on all channels. At 4 it has finished everything.

This is something to look for since mine, took about 30 minutes to go from 0 to 4. I first panic and thought that nothing was coming but I finally saw this pattern.

Before you to trip count 3, your authorization Status is "MC". After trip count 3, the authorization status changes to "SWO". My Satellite Signal Power when higher to 61 now and quality is 52-54.

The installer that I got was FG Installs. He did a tremendous job. His Van was packed with VOOM equipment and told me that his doing a lot of VOOM installation in the Bronx, Queens, and NJ. Very knowleadgeable guy that checked everything and was very nice. Did not leave any trash behind :)

I invited him to come to the board and give us some insight. He said he will login tonight. I am back with all locals.....!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!

My install was scheduled this morning. I was called yesterday that my equipment wasn't there at 7:19 AM. I checked with Voom today and they said it was delivered to the installer. SIGNAL FINDERS said that FedEx was there and left a post-it about my receiver. They weren't there and didn't get the package. SIGNAL FINDERS can't even find a package. I cancelled. Voom can kiss off. I read all the horror stories and ordered anyway. I really regret it.

Wowsers

My Report -
SAS was pretty good, if a little overly professional...I think that they were a little concerned with all my questions about their knowledge of voom and diplexors. Really, the install went off without a hitch.

They came at 10:00 am. In a pretty nice van with the company name on it in nice printing. ;) An older guy and a kid, obviously his apprentice. Picked a place to put the dish/antenna. I told him that I wanted 2 wires, no diplexor. I came back in and played computer games while they did whatever they did. About an hour later, they came back inside with the boxes. While they were setting up, I asked him about the two wires. He explained that he DID use the diplexor :shocked , and that it would work. I got a little huffy with him, and he said that if the OTA's didn't come in correctly, he would run another wire. He called wherever to get the box hooked up. It came on and, lo and behold, everything worked just fine. All VHF (cbs,nbc,fox,upn,wb) OTA's came in (I live about 25 miles from NYC, according to Antenna.web) It was a NORMAL INSTALL EXPERIENCE. I'm very relieved, after reading about everyone else's bad experiences. After playing with it a little, I realize there were 2 problems though:

1. The UHF stations in my area (Channel 13,21,etc.) are not coming in at all. Is this a channel mapping problem? Also, I'd like to experiment and see if I can get any others(Conn and NJ) channels. Do I need to call Voom and get mapped for these?

2. The program guide was on until the installers left (12:30pm) Now there is "no information available" for any channel. How do I fix this?

Overall, I'd give the install experience a nine out of 10. SAS is located in Hollis, Queens...for anyone in the NYC area, the guy really knew his stuff.

Uhh, the picture is f$*#ing incredible. Much better then Cablevision's HD and comparable to their SD. I couldn't stop watching DiscoveryHD (which Cablevision doesn't carry) long enough to wheel my 57" tv back into place. Add the 5.1 surround, and I've got some serious couch potato problems coming up. I give the PQ a 20 out of 10.

Sorry if I anything I said sounded newbie'ish, but I am! Thanks for this board, and everyone's help...Get this thing!

zaxxon2000 said:
My install was scheduled this morning. I was called yesterday that my equipment wasn't there at 7:19 AM. I checked with Voom today and they said it was delivered to the installer. SIGNAL FINDERS said that FedEx was there and left a post-it about my receiver. They weren't there and didn't get the package. SIGNAL FINDERS can't even find a package. I cancelled. Voom can kiss off. I read all the horror stories and ordered anyway. I really regret it.

zaxxon2000,

In all fairness, I know that it is frustrating for these things to happen but they happen. Don't let these stories scare you. There are others that have been positive and some of the "horror stories" have been rectified and VOOM has gone out of their way to make things right. Not trying to defend VOOM but just saying that I think you should reconsider and give them a second chance if you want more HD. Same thing happens with E* or D*

dosborn278 said:
Well, my VOOM install is in the process now and the guy is horrible. The installer is from two hours away. I live in the capitol of Iowa so you would think they could have found someone closer. The installer sent one guy who can't be more than 18. He has had to use my ladder and flashlight, and I have had to help him run wire. My place should have been a piece of cake since it is all prewire, you just have to get a wire to the junction box. We'll see if I can even get a signal when he finally gets stuff hooked up. He told me the dish would have to point mostly west to get a signal (I thought TV satellites orbited around the equator?), but he put up my dish to point south east. He's also screwed the insulation all up in the attic and tracked it all of the house. We'll see what happens next......
should be south

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/rain1.shtml

If a licensed installer does not show up dont waste your time, insist when booking your install, it helps if you know the law in your state, I would not let any unlicensed person in my home!!!!!! Never mind mess with my electrical systems. Ask to see their SBCA certification card, every installer should have one, ask to SEE their State license if they dont have it, close the door..........make it clear when you schedule no license/SBCA/picture ID. then the install/activation will not go ahead, every one deserves a proffesional installation, even if it is percieved to be "FREE" Just look at some of the horror stories today alone about the installer stealing customers property!
dbsinstall is compiling a list of State requirements of persons installing satellite systems, I think this will be a great asset to customers.

Saphite said:
2. The program guide was on until the installers left (12:30pm) Now there is "no information available" for any channel. How do I fix this?
Welcome to the world of Voom & Motorola.

If the guide is gone more than an hour, disconnect the power cable to the receiver. After 15 seconds, plug it back in. In about 20 minutes you should have your guide back.

Saphite,

Channel 13 is low power so I do not know if you are going to be able to get that as I do not get it either.

Channel 21 is in long island so the the antenna needs to be pointing in the other direction. I think yours is pointing to manhattan right now, isn't it. Channel 13 and 21 do appear on your PG, correct? If they do, there's no mapping problem. However, you might get a no signal message which means the antenna is not picking up power in the way is pointing or the transmitter is too far.

Sounds like my box. Hopefully you will go longer than 24 hours before losing signal from satellite on all channels.....

Gr8Reb8 said:
Welcome to the world of Voom & Motorola.

If the guide is gone more than an hour, disconnect the power cable to the receiver. After 15 seconds, plug it back in. In about 20 minutes you should have your guide back.

I guess this will happen a lot? Hopefully they'll get a fix in soon.

Sean Mota said:
Saphite,

Channel 13 is low power so I do not know if you are going to be able to get that as I do not get it either.

Channel 21 is in long island so the the antenna needs to be pointing in the other direction. I think yours is pointing to manhattan right now, isn't it. Channel 13 and 21 do appear on your PG, correct? If they do, there's no mapping problem. However, you might get a no signal message which means the antenna is not picking up power in the way is pointing or the transmitter is too far.

Yeah...those channels are listed. Guess I'll have to watch Charlie Rose through the cable wire...Not HD. Oh well, Charlie doesn't have many special effects anyway.

Thanks gentlemen...back to the TV!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)