VOOM Installations

Terry,

Not only do you have to pay attention to the date of your install, but take a look at the number assigned to your first post! The install's DOOM'd!

Peace- R

Well I just got off the phone with the installer that the local company said would be doing the work on my installation. He was apologetic, and said he was in training on Thursday and had no idea about my install until he returned on Friday and my equipment was sitting at the office. Any way he set a time up for me on Wednesday morning, so they now know who I am and have the equipment for my install, now I wait...I hate waiting.....

Installation afterthoughts...

I was a little apprehensive about ordering Voom after seeing all the reports on here about bad picture quality on SD channels, receiver lockups, horrible install experiences, etc. I must say though, mine went pretty well.

I'm extremely happy with the picture. I've had my HDTV for 3 years, but I've never actually seen anything high definition on it until now. I'm just completely floored. This is the first time since the installer left that I've left the couch for anything other than a bathroom break. I feel like I've been watching tv with my glasses off for my entire life.

Previously I just had basic extended cable (which was more than $50/month), and the picture quality on the SD channels of that was fuzzy. I can't compare to other dishes, but compared to Charter cable Voom's SD looks quite a bit better.

Anyway, the only real issue I had with the install was that Voom only sent one receiver. I ordered two receivers.

The installer was a bit inexperienced with Voom, but very nice and professional. He had installed a "few" Voom systems, and said they're starting to get more orders now. While on the phone with Voom activating the one receiver they sent, he told them that there should have been another one. They're shipping him the 2nd one for me and he said he'd call me to set up an appointment to install it when it came in. He even gave me his home phone number to call him if I had any problems.

I'm getting a satellite signal between 56-58, which he said was great. I'm not experiencing any problems. I did have the receiver lock up on me once, but I just began using the guide instead of channel surfing, and I haven't had any problems since.

The only (very minor) irritation that I've found is that the guide starts out at channel 100 every time you go into it.

I just wanted to let anyone who might be reading this and thinking about ordering Voom that there are people out there who are having a good experience with it. :)

Oh, one last thing, I'm seriously going to miss my TiVo. I hope that they hurry up and add Voom support.

My install was done this morning and I am very pleased with the experience. The installer did try to use a diplexer but was easily talked out of it. My signal strength is 64 and OTA local channels are phenomenal. I can't believe how good the picture is. I had Comcast HDTV previously and the biggest difference is that EVERY channel looks great.
He did use my existing antenna since it was better, but he gave me the antenna he had, which I will use for FM.

I am usually rather unlucky and I expected to have similar problems with my install. However, my install was scheduled for, and done, this morning.

He did try to use a diplexer, but other than that everything went great. I have the VaVa Voom package and love it. The OTA channels are better than I ever would have hoped for (using my existing antenna).

I was given all the equipment that was not used, including the antenna which I intend to use for FM.

Sorry so many have had bad experiences, but mine has been great so far.

The installer showed up at my house around 4:30pm on Saturday. The installer was very polite and professional. He needs to come back to install the diplexer because he couldn't find it. Satelite works, but OTA doesn't. He left before 6pm. I actually found the diplexer in the box the OTA came in. I'm thinking about going on the roof and connecting it myself. I think there are 4 outlets on the diplexer maybe 5 (i don't have it in front of me right now cause i'm at work). I don't recall each outlet labelled input or output on it. Does anyone know which outlets the the OTA & Satellite screw into the diplexer and which outlet of the diplexer does line that goes into the house screw into?

Thanks- R

Great that you guys had no problem! When you get the new software, a lot of the features that are not in your box now will be added. The new software release had a few problems and VOOM is working on a patch. So hang in there and read the threads about the software upgrade, there's a lot of information about it.

I'm due to get Voom on 4/5 and I am curious if they will be able to get a line of sight, I currently have Dish Network and I wonder if anyone knows how close the Antenna needs to be aimed for Voom satelites compared to Dish.

This is the install company. Adant Wireless Communications

Has anyone posted SD Pic Quality on Voom VS Dish?

Packerfan--if you use Dish @61.5 you get voom if you use the others@110 105,101 it's about80 degrees off but the 61.5 sat is higher in the sky i do believe..At least for me here in NJ..go broncos..:)

As for pq.it's seems to be hit or miss..depends on the set,what imputs you are using how it was calibrated..The only way to compare is using the EXACT same imputs and cables..i find the HD great the sd a little softer but less artifacts then the others(less compression) and when Voom has MPEQ-4 later this year it should rule all the others

Well today is the big day. The sub is called Team One Communications to do the install between 12-5.

I will probably help or do any wiring that I might need to go thru roof or down walls.

And the beat goes on...

Well we were told we'd be installed today, about a week ago. Never got our call 2 days before so we called and found out that we've been pushed out to 4/1. Now the weather man says it's going to rain Thurs. so I suppose we'll be bumped out again. :( I want my Voom!

well i did it....I have been trying to decide wether to do it or not but I finally have ordered VOOM and have installation scheduled for 04/03. I would like to thank evereyone posting here for your input 'cause it was a hard decision. I hope everything goes well I will keep ya'll posted. :D

Well, I decided after pussyfooting around that I wanted to get a second receiver at my install instead of just one. SO I called Voom... mother of god what a wait. I spent 20 minutes on hold, finally got a warm body and explained the situation. She said sure, let me check something for you. Put me back on hold for 10 minutes, and then... click. Yes, I was hung up on. Arggh!

So I call back and am on hold listening to Disney Muzac for 15 more minutes. Get another warm body who hemmed and hawed, but finally said he thought I'd be able to get 2 out to my install in time (this Saturday). Put me on hold to call Installs Inc, but thankfully this time I didn't get dropped ;). So I spent a good hour on the phone with Voom today. Man they need some more CSRs! I am happy it seems to have worked out though. We'll know more once the installer shows up with 1 or 2 boxes.

-MP

Service call to fix a poor install...praise to Joe Harkins!

Thanks to Sean Mota and reading here, I knew that I would benefit from sending an to email Joe Harkins of Installs, Inc. He was very helpful from the get go and even called me after the install to see if everything went OK.
I told him I had a smooth but poor install becuase of some issues and had called Voom to send someone over for a service call. He emailed me stating that he would contact the installer himself to make sure he knew what he needed.

Here is en email I just sent Joe and I post it here for everyone to know because Joe Harkins does represent his company well...he is service driven and it shows!

Joe:
This is an update on my situation and how it went.

First of all thanks for sending someone out with much experience in Voom installation and knowledge. This guy really knew a lot about the Voom service and fixed everything that the previous installer failed to do. Not to put him down but the previous installer had done a poor job. He had installed my OTA pointing at my roof and the dish right next it. This setup had the OTA interfering with the satellite dish, thus having it lose signal strength. Today's installer fixed that by moving it away and immediately I was able to get 4 more local channels. He went one better and opened the Stealth antenna where he immediately noticed that the card installed was not the amplified card. He had one with him and switched it. Big difference!!!

Salvatore (sorry missed his last name), the installer who came out today and fixed everything, works directly for Installs, Inc. Not only does he really know his stuff, he's a really nice guy too! Very willing to make the process go smooth and nice.

I wanted you to have this information because, as a customer service provider, feedback from consumers, being negative or positive, is the best way for you to know how your doing. This is one case with positive results and I thank you for it! Hopefully it will help you in the future with other consumers.

Thanks again for all your help!
Harold

I had my install completed on Saturday (McKinney,TX) with no problems. I already had an antenna installed in the attic, for OTA receiver I had, which he used. Mounted dish and ran new cable, which I had pull string in place to fish through the wall in living room, to receiver. I pulled the cable down the wall myself while he mounted the dish on the roof. The tech only had to waite on the line with Voom for about 10 minutes, which is better then i had previously read on this forum, to get the motorola STB autherized. I was getting a signal strength of only 34 with the software on the box at first but at some point it updated to the latest version later that afternoon and now shows about 80.

Overall I am satisfied with what I'm getting. the only issue i have is that 2 of the 7 HBO's are breaking up real bad. I have a call into Install's Inc and will report back the corrective action.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)