VOOM Installations

Thursday 4/1/04 1:00pm CST
Filled out the online forms for Voom service. Gave my credit card information. Received an Install Date of 4/9.

Thursday 4/1/04 2:30pm CST
Per Seans guide, I called Installs Inc to ask about contacting my installer. The CSR (Eric) pulled my information up almost immediately on his computer. He was knowledgable and up to speed on things. Eric gave me the phone number for a company called White Glove in Minneapolis metro.

Thursday 4/1/04 3:00CST
Spoke with the owner in the field (Tim), he was busy doing an install and had had me call back so I could speak with his Voom tech (Mitch). Mitch could not find my order in the online database or recent emails so I asked him if he could call me back when he received confirmation from Installs Inc for my install. He said he would. I then asked if he could move my install ahead, he said that he would count the equipment he had on hand including a shipment he received today. If he had enough equipment available, he would move my install ahead from the 4/9 date. I asked how business for Voom was coming along, he said that he had 13 Voom installs scheduled for the next week.

Thursday 4/1/04 3:45 CST
Mitch from White Glove called to confirm installation for Saturday 4/2 between 8am and Noon. After I picked myself up off the floor, I asked him about using my existing Dish 300 which is already pointed at 61.5. He said that the installer would have new equipment with him and that we should probably get the new dish since it is included in the installation. I thanked Mitch for his quick expedite of my install.

Saturday 4/3/04 10:38am CST
Mitch called to let me know he was running late on another install. Said he will be here by 1:00pm.

Saturday 4/3/04 2:00pm CST
Mitch calls from South Saint Paul and says he's on his way. A previous install has taken much longer than he expected.

Saturday 4/3/04 2:30pm CST
Mitch arrives with an assistant that is training in on Voom installs. Both Mitch and his trainee are friendly and easy to talk to. Mitch invites me to walk around with him as we discuss the install. We have Dish Network now and plan to keep it for a while. Mitch recommends we pull the Dish 300 currently pointing at 61.5 and install the new dish. He tells me that all the equipment included with the package will stay with me whether it is installed or not. Might as well use the new sat antenna. Most of my lines are already in place. Mitch asks about ground. I don't have one. We walk thru where the new ground line will go. I like the plan.

Both of these guys have no problem with me watching them do their thing. Mitch walks me thru just about everything as he is doing it. We spend a little time talking about other things, not just my install but Voom itself, Installers Inc and home theater.

Saturday 4/3/04 4:00pm CST
Mitch asks me if I have any questions. I don't. He has already walked me thru most of the interface and the guide. We shake hands and he says "Why don't you sit down and relax. Enjoy your new system."

Saturday 4/3/04 4:30pm CST
Cannot wipe the smile off my face. Too much HD to choose from. VERY happy with the install and the installers. Much cudos to Mitch, his assistant and Tim, the owner of White Glove, for hiring friendly and knowledgable personnel.

Up until now, we would find ourselves watching certain programs just because they were HD. At times, there might be only one program on so that is what we might watch. The feeling we have now is much like the first time we got satellite five years ago. So many channels, too little time. Absolutely fabulous.

madmike said:
I ordered online last night and have install sked for 4/12 afternoon. Do I still need to get in contact with Installs, Inc. to help ensure everything goes smoothly?
Mike

Give them (Installs) a call 3 days or so before your scheduled install just to verify that everything is good to go. That should be sufficient.

In the meantime get an idea where you want the dish installed if line of site gives you options and def check if the Stealth antenna will work for you or if you need something different. Basically, try your best to keep it a one visit deal.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the warm welcome and info Bill. I'll keep that in mind for contacting those guys. I'm not worried about the OTA antenna, I've had a couple of OTA tuners in the past so I still have a RS double bow-tie and Silver Sensor in the attic that I can use.

Which direction is this dish gonna have to point? I'm sure I won't have a problem with LOS, but I'll start looking at where I might want the dish to be mounted.

Again, thanks for the welcome. I look forward to learning a great deal from here.

Mike

Since I live in Florida, I might as well do what I can about rain fade with my initial install. I've read from other posts that Winegard's 30" dish (DS2078) with the RCA feed support works just fine. But, I'm having a heck of a time finding a Winegard retailer locally. Before I bite the bullet and order it from far away with shipping, will any other 30" dish work? I'm assuming they're not generic but I don't know the differences. Are there any other specific 30" brands and models that we are positive will work with the Voom install?

Thanks for any help.

voom fart

Voom install 2 weeks ago.

Tonight I fire up the voom box: No Picture...No sound

green sat.

followed by 1 pair of redish/orange gold lights that pulsed once
skipped a second and then blinked twice rapidly. It does the same thing no matter what I do.
reset
shutdowns
unplugs
glaring at it has done no good

Any ideas?????????????????

Try unplugging/plugging the receiver and make sure you have the correct resolution set on the receiver for the tv...

jbm007 said:
done

and

done already

No Change

Sounds like the receiver died... Sorry to tell you that you will have to put a service call. Wow! that's increable that it was working and then it stopped working.

Voom Box on order?

I ordered Voom last week and was given an installation date of 4/3/04. I emailed the insall guy yesterday and asked if he was still on schedule with my installation and he told me he is still waiting on the Voom box to be shipped to him. How long does this take? I don't know when I will be able to watch Voom now.

Well we just had our installers here.. They came with a tiny rusted pick up truck with no ladder. Looked around a few minutes and said there wasn't enough clearance on the trees.. I asked if it could be installed on a pole, I already have a pole here I'm not using and they said the pole had to be higher than the trees. Now the trees extend maybe 20 feet above the roof but are set back a little and if it was placed on the far right side I think there would be a signal since the angle it would be set at is like 37 degrees for us, but they did not want to talk about it. without really saying much they just left. Didn't seem they were too interested in even trying since they came without a way to get on the roof. I guess that does it for voom for us. They were 3 hours late and must have been in a hurry to go slop their pigs or something form the look of them. Oh and they called this morning and said they wanted to let us know we'd get no local channels either.. which I said was ok even though voom says all over their web page they install an antenna for them. The name of the company was Parkwood Installers? That's what they told us, the truck said nothing it was juut a beat up thing with no markings. Never heard of them and a web search shows nothing for them. I wonder if they got paid for that visit.. and I wonder if they are keeping the antennas or something and telling people no locals? The whole thing seemed really fishy.

aarton,

send "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> an email with your experience. He might get you someone else to check to see if there is a line of sight.

Sean Mota said:
aarton,

send "Joe Harkins" <jharkins@installs.com> an email with your experience. He might get you someone else to check to see if there is a line of sight.

thanks I'll give it a shot I guess.

No Ladder? SBCA 1+2 certification? License? signal meter? Maybe they had one of the new folding ladders...........it could happen!

PSB said:
No Ladder? SBCA 1+2 certification? License? signal meter? Maybe they had one of the new folding ladders...........it could happen!

well they had a compass.. no signal meter or anything like that. I didn't ask about a license or anything they were only here a few minutes. Is it as weird as I think they they'd make a special call saying no locals? Isn't it normal for voom to include locals? It's not that there's no signal here we're only 6 miles from the broadcast area of all the local channels.

aarton said:
well they had a compass.. no signal meter or anything like that. I didn't ask about a license or anything they were only here a few minutes. Is it as weird as I think they they'd make a special call saying no locals? Isn't it normal for voom to include locals? It's not that there's no signal here we're only 6 miles from the broadcast area of all the local channels.

What you had arrive at your driveway were two clueless people that Installs Inc. needs to reign-in pretty quickly and is ultimately V*'s responsibility for letting it continue to happen .

Try not to let this ruin getting V* over these clowns that showed up at you place today. It really isn't the norm.

Mr. Biggles said:
What you had arrive at your driveway were two clueless people that Installs Inc. needs to reign-in pretty quickly and is ultimately V*'s responsibility for letting it continue to happen .

Try not to let this ruin getting V* over these clowns that showed up at you place today. It really isn't the norm.

well it's really pretty questionable if we can get it anyhow with our trees and all but I wish they kind of tried harder. I think it just needs a little elevation off the roof. Maybe they don't get paid enough to actually try?

aarton said:
well it's really pretty questionable if we can get it anyhow with our trees and all but I wish they kind of tried harder. I think it just needs a little elevation off the roof. Maybe they don't get paid enough to actually try?

They get paid to come equipped and ready to survey the site, either roof/side of house install the dish, install the OTA antenna, run all cabling, set-up and activate the STB and leave you there standing with the remote in hand with a smile on your face.

My Installation

I finally got Voom installed this morning in San Diego. Called Voom a couple of weeks ago and had them schedule it for today since I had the day off. The installer came at 0900 and had instructions for a one receiver install. I told him that there should be two but his instructions only said to install one. He told me that he had a extra receiver in his truck and to call Voom to authorize the second receiver to be installed. I was on hold for about one hour before I got someone to speak with. Voom admitted that it was their mistake and the install continued.

The next problem was with the OTA. While putting together the stealth antenna, the installer noticed that he had two left wings. This wasn't going to work so right now I have no OTA. It is suppose to get resolved this next week. We finally got everything connected and the installer contacted Voom for authorization. Everything seemed to be going ok but he couldn't show me anything because both receivers immediately started to download new software. I told him that he can leave since he had other jobs to do. Once the software was installed, the system reboot and I got an authorization error. Called Voom again but this time I got through in twelve minutes. They solved the problem and everything but the OTA is working!

Overall, my install went ok. The installer did a good job but the process was not as smoothly as I wished but it wasn't horrible either.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts