VOOM OTA Mapping Problems? (Channels listed are not as expected)

"oddwann" saw your post over on Yahoo/VOOM a few..

minutes ago. Hopefully, Wilt will see and respond or send it on to someone within the day.

I posted about 10:30 PM last night here in Seattle and it did not make it onto the Yahoo forum. ?

Under cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

oddwunn said:
After waiting 9 days to get my OTA locals remapped, I just called back Voom and have been told that they cannot remap my locals due to FCC rulings regarding the zip code in which I live in and what locals MUST be mapped to my zip code. Since I live in RI, my locals have been mapped to Providence, RI (0048), but there is only one OTA station broadcasting in HD.

Boston and Worcester, MA, (0006) have quite a few HD stations and is the only area where I can actually receive any decent amount of HD programming.

This situation is absolutely ridiculous, because as far as I know, the FCC ruling only applies to the satellite broadcasting of network affiliates, and does not apply to over the air reception. I mean, if my antenna can receive the Boston stations, then I am free to tune in whatever is in the air, right?

Voom has told me that the reason is due to the fact that the OTA signal goes through the Voom box, but this simply makes no sense at all, as the signal is not passing through any decryption circuitry (like the satellite signals). Also, I mentioned that eventually the software update is supposed to switch to a channel scanning format, and when it does, I will be getting the Boston locals anyway, so why isn't that against FCC regulations?

Grrrr... :mad:

I find that hard to believe. I would not believe it unless it comes from Wilt. Here's his email: "Wilt Hildenbrand" <wilth@optonline.net>.

Listen, there were was a sub here who was able to switch DMA from NYC to Philadelphia. This is doable. It just requires some work on VOOM ends. Send an email to Wilt.

One of my OTAs took since last October to be mapped. It just showed up last week.

My understanding is that Tribune, the company that Voom contracts with for the program guide information, was having difficulty getting my local to send the requested information.

As a follow up, I heard directly from Wilt and Peter from Voom ( in
just a few minutes, I might add!) and they assured me that they would
take care of the remapping to hold me over until they switch to a
scanning format. Wilt said:

The word "misinformed" comes to mind in terms of that information.
With a rooftop antenna there's no such limitation.
The only limitation is the fact that, mistakenly for some reasons--not so
much for others--we didn't put scanning in earlier.
That's coming in the release scheduled for next month.
In the meantime we'll take a look and see if we can solve your issue
beforehand.

Now that's what I call exceptional care and service beyond the call of
duty!

Voom, you guys rock! (especially Wilt and Peter...:) )

Bob

So if I understand this scanning issue correctly...when this software is downloaded to our STB boxes, it will automatically scan for locals in the area and add them to our guide?

If this is true...it's fantastic news. That way I might get some sub channels that have been recently added in my market!

truqui said:
So if I understand this scanning issue correctly...when this software is downloaded to our STB boxes, it will automatically scan for locals in the area and add them to our guide?

I would imagine it will work just like all the other STB's in that the scan feature will detect all those channels which the antenna can find a signal with. If the antenna is not pointed correctly or insufficiently weak and can't tune to the channel, the channel won't show up in the PG.

Now I am really impressed! Within 4 hours of my original complaint Wilt and Peter now have the Boston locals mapped to my IRD. I love a happy ending!

it will automatically scan for locals in the area and add them to our guide?

Most times it is not an automatic function - you have to initiate the scan yourself, but the rest of your assumptions (and Mr. Biggles' added info) are correct.

Hmmm...too bad I'm not a mod here or I could edit the thread title (and thumbs down) to reflect the fast, courteous service I jst got from Voom (hint, hint ...:) )

oddwunn said:
Now I am really impressed! Within 4 hours of my original complaint Wilt and Peter now have the Boston locals mapped to my IRD. I love a happy ending!

Yes, I too love the happy ending.

So how would one go about getting this done for their setup? I have 2 very incomplete mappings in my guide for stations that are in different directions that won't tune at all. But 50 miles away there are 4 channels broadcasting in HD all from the same direction. I could get those if my box had them showing in the guide .... :yes

dledeaux said:
So how would one go about getting this done for their setup? I have 2 very incomplete mappings in my guide for stations that are in different directions that won't tune at all. But 50 miles away there are 4 channels broadcasting in HD all from the same direction. I could get those if my box had them showing in the guide .... :yes

Send "Wilt Hildenbrand" <wilth@optonline.net> and email...

Good grief in Gladewater!

I just got a reply from Wilt! He's fast!

1. We'll take a look at that,
2. Should be end of this month, early next, for "scanning" to be available which should eliminate all of this--most anyway--zipcode stuff.
But, we'll see if we can help here.
Thanks,
Wilt

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 9:05 AM
To: 'wilth@optonline.net'
Subject: OTA Mappings

Wilt,

My name is David LeDeaux and I have been a subscriber now for almost two months. I have been working with my installers to get my OTA channels working but I live in a somewhat rural area and my mappings are not going well. I live in the 75604 (Longview, TX) zip code and zap2it lists several channels that I should have but many are missing and the ones that are listed do not work at all. Additionally, most of the stations listed for 75604 are in totally different directions. The tricky thing is that many of 75604's mappings are really a subset of 71101 (Shreveport, LA), a much larger city about 50 miles away. Even zap2it lists many of Shreveport's channels as channels that should be in my program guide.

Is there any possibility that I could have my channel mappings changed from Longview to Shreveport? I feel that this would get my locals up and running until scanning is made available, and it would allow me to point my antenna in one direction to receive all of the channels that I needed.

I have included some information below to help with the issue if anything can be done.

Regards,
David LeDeaux

Received this yesterday:

John,

Saw your note to Wilt. I have passed on your info regarding off-airs to our listings provider, and requested they add whatever they can receive schedules for. Timeline is dependent on how quick stations provide data, but we have been adding these hot & heavy lately.

Also - XXXX is located in XXXXXXXX DMA. Currently we are constrained to deliver a single DMA of off-airs - so this one will remain an issue for you. Good news is that next week we are expecting delivery into our QA lab of the next major software upgrade that includes support for multiple DMAs, as well as scanning for off-airs, whether or not guide data is present. No one is more eager than me on getting this out into production - trust me!

Peter Rees
VOOM

WJET-DT in Erie still not mapped :(

Channel 58 (24.1) WJET-DT ABC affiliate in Erie, PA is still not mapped in Voom. I can tune to it fine using my Hughes E86 box. I have asked Voom several times. Oh well. My zip code by the way is 16509.

-Siva

bommai said:
Channel 58 (24.1) WJET-DT ABC affiliate in Erie, PA is still not mapped in Voom. I can tune to it fine using my Hughes E86 box. I have asked Voom several times. Oh well. My zip code by the way is 16509.

-Siva

Send me this with your full address to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us if you have not done so.

bommai said:
Hello Sean,
I sent it before and I sent it again just now just in case you did not get it before. How long does it normally take? Just curious. We are eagerly waiting.

Thanks,

-Siva

It was sent. I am waiting for a response. I can't honestly tell you how long it takes.