VOOM Shutdown Update

TC_Lauderdale said:
This is killing me. My wife plans a cruise for this weekend 5 months ago for our anniversary and I will be unable to see the last few moments of Voom :(

Please somebody record the last few moments for me. Hey, I wonder if Royal Carribean will permit me to bring my Voom dish, receiver and TV on board? ;)

That would be a self-install, and as you well know, that's not allowed ;)

Lob

Shutdown schedule.........

Wasn't there someone here that was supposed to get the official shutdown schedule from Voom yesterday? I know that the official time of shutdown was released, but is that all we know at this point??? I was wanting to see if anybody knows the specifics pertaining to the shutdown. Whether or not they will start shutting off channels one by one or just officially shutdown the uplink dish. Another thing I was wanting to know is if certain channels will start getting cut off one by one within the next few days prior to shutdown.

I think they will throw a 55 gallon metal drum over the uplink dish feedhorn and head for the nearest bar.

Midnight PDT Saturday night actually

truggy0 said:
Thats great, Im in cali so that will get me through Friday night.... :)

I am not going with another privider until I hear what this new news is on Friday! Thanks for the update, and feel free to leak any other useful info..

Yep that is why they will shut down at 3AM Sunday Eastern daylight time. Because 3AM EDT Sunday is Midnight PDT(west coast). In that way, all 3 major time zones in the contiguous 48 states will have Voom service every second of the 30th of April. So May 1st is the true shut down date in the lower 48 states (as it was all along according to Voom CSR). It will end at 3AM EDT, 2AM CDT, 1AM Rocky Moutain Daylight time and 12AM (midnight PDT). Hope the news Friday is good enough for me to cancel Comcast on my first day of service LOL!
Wayne

But...According to another thread Voom isn't shutting down until May 6th. So what day is it going to be....

May 1st at 3:00 EST. If you look up the poster's profile you'll notice that she/he just signed up today and has no other posts. Either a really village idiot or just a troll. Listen to Scott & Sean. If they don't know something then good chances are that no one knows.

Shutdown is, technically May 1st, 3am. I believe it is an "all at once" type deal. If you haven't been asked to send your box back, then presumably, you'd still have the ability to get your OTA networks through the use of your OTA antenna, which I do not believe, technologically speaking, has anything whatsoever to do with the Rainbow 1 satellite and the provision of the HD channels.

The likelihood of VOOM, as a satellite provider, surviving beyond 3am on May 1st is highly unlikely. It is more likely that any news on Friday will be relative to the distribution of the HD specific networks through another service provider. In all likelihood

Scott Greczkowski said:
Hey everyone, I have just received some good news. It appears that VOOM has received an extension of its life by 27 hours.

The word I have just received is that the VOOM Shutdown will now take place on May 1st at 3AM EST.

No word yet on if the boxes are going to be deauthorized or not. I would hope that they decide to keep them on so people can take advantage of the OTA tuners.

I am also receiving word from another contact that we could have more VOOM news on Friday.

Stay Tuned!
I noticed that TDCHD was not available last night.

Just checked my guide on my receiver.......

My receiver shows information on the 10 cinema channels up until 5AM CDST (Central Daylight Savings Time) on Sunday morning. After this time, the word "movie" is all that shows up within the guide for the 10 cinema channels. The other Voom exclusive channels go up to the limit on my receiver which doesn't go past 10:30AM Sunday morning. I'll wait until the next 24 hours when my guide should have information listing through 10:30AM Monday morning and see if any more information is listed on these channels.

I don't think that having Program Guide information updated past the shutdown time makes any difference...remember PG info is given in advance. On any channel other than Voom 21/exclusives, info is given because these channels are available on other providers.
In the Voom 21's case, their programming staff probably has had info set for May since before the shutdown orders, thus the info is available although unfortunately we won't see the programs...

No Sat. Signal - Black Screen ?

mindstein said:
I noticed that TDCHD was not available last night.

Last night I had lots of pixellation and sound drop out; signal strength low, but no VOOM service available. This morning OTA worked, but no satellite channels; and most strange; NO ''not receiving satellite signal'' which was the usual screen when signal strength was too low.

try again tonight,

mike in the O C

This happened to me also last night. Today I still only have OTA. No Voom channels. I think they are turning people off at random. Not all at once on the 30th like I was hoping.

ram1220 said:
This happened to me also last night. Today I still only have OTA. No Voom channels. I think they are turning people off at random. Not all at once on the 30th like I was hoping.

What benefit would they have for dropping random users? Why would they possibly do that? Let's keep the rumors down, shall we?

You would get a 'Upgrade immediately' message or a 'not authorized' if you were off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)