VOOM to employ Windows Media 9

Seanb61 said:
to expand its available satellite capacity for HD offerings from more than 30 to more than 60 channels.

HOLY SCHNYKEES! 60 HD channels! I'm starry-eyed! Comedy Central-HD? Spike-HD? SciFi-HD? I think I'm having a seizure... :eek:

EDIT: After calming down, I realized this frees up room for RSNs (Fox Sports in particular) in HDTV. Let the countdown to Astros HD begin!

OK im just thinking what networks are doing 720P? I only know of 3. Not looking for a debate. Just information. Im under the impression that theyd have to be 1080i.

Posted on Yahoo Groups by WILT:

Answering to the question: I thought that they where already set up for MPEG4? Will they still be using this, or just WM9?

Wilt's Answer: Both. :)

astrossuperfan said:
HOLY SCHNYKEES! 60 HD channels! I'm starry-eyed! Comedy Central-HD? Spike-HD? SciFi-HD? I think I'm having a seizure... :eek:

EDIT: After calming down, I realized this frees up room for RSNs (Fox Sports in particular) in HDTV. Let the countdown to Astros HD begin!
Astros HD at the earliest 2006. That's when the new Rockets-Astros network will carry Astros games. I doubt FSSW is gonna be spending any money since they're about to go into the toilet. I mean, if each team following the Yankees' model continues the trend of creating their own network, that's going to kill all the FoxSports RSNs that lose those teams. Also, if each city or team ends up with their own channel, that's like 50-75 RSNs. I don't know how DBS can do that. What does YES network show when not showing Yankees games?

OK im just thinking what networks are doing 720P? I only know of 3. Not looking for a debate. Just information. Im under the impression that theyd have to be 1080i.
All the FOX-owned RSNs are going 720p. The same goes for future Disney-owned and FOX-owned channels.

I don't see a ctrl-alt-delete button on the remote !?!?!. Silly me, they'll be sending us a new remote that has that on it. :shh

just think of the possibilities-new microsoft virus strikes Voom -Animacalls.dl virus..takes over TV set and merges "night calls" with "animania"

rang1995 said:
just think of the possibilities-new microsoft virus strikes Voom -Animacalls.dl virus..takes over TV set and merges "night calls" with "animania"

I'm laughing....but but but..............maybe not so far fetched :D

Sean Mota said:
Here's a question. How many hours in 250GB will be able to have based on WM9? Just an approximate number.

I don't have my handy dandy calculator next to me Sean, but go here for examples.

There goes industry standards

I think going with a so-called standard controlled by one evil minded company is very unfortunate. I think they should have gone with MPEG4 H.264 standard and not be slave to one company's standard. All microsoft wants is embrace, extend, extinguish the competition.

-Siva

bommai said:
I think going with a so-called standard controlled by one evil minded company is very unfortunate. I think they should have gone with MPEG4 H.264 standard and not be slave to one company's standard. All microsoft wants is embrace, extend, extinguish the competition.

-Siva
I disagree. Voom is already what no other provider is. This with Bill Gates behind it could make Voom what no other DBS will ever be. With Microsoft's backing everything could be networked and seemless. PC's, sat, internet, game system, the possibilities are tremendous. If you ask me Voom needs to Partner with Microsoft as much as it can.

OK. I've seen enough Microsoft bashing on this site to puke. MS is what they are because they built a better mousetrap. They pushed the limits of the law, like every for-profit company does, to maximize profitability. Don't lecture me about them profiting from other's innovations, I know the MS stroy. Vurbano is absolutely right about this. Voom could use an alliance with the company seeking to be the leader in raw technological power. Voom is striving to position itself as the leader in high-end content delivery to people's homes. All of you Sun employees and people who bought PlayStation2 and then realized it was a toy for 14 year olds need to pipe down.

cyuhnke said:
OK. I've seen enough Microsoft bashing on this site to puke. MS is what they are because they built a better mousetrap. They pushed the limits of the law, like every for-profit company does, to maximize profitability. Don't lecture me about them profiting from other's innovations, I know the MS stroy. Vurbano is absolutely right about this. Voom could use an alliance with the company seeking to be the leader in raw technological power. Voom is striving to position itself as the leader in high-end content delivery to people's homes. All of you Sun employees and people who bought PlayStation2 and then realized it was a toy for 14 year olds need to pipe down.
AH a man of intelligence. lol. maybe Bill Gates could help get rid of our sparklies too..lmao

VOOM decided on WM9 in part because it offers industry-leading performance for HD in terms of quality/bitrate -- such is the opinion of Joe Kane, which was confirmed by the DVD Forum in its testing for a HD-DVD codec. I'm sure VOOM has done its own comparisons as well, or will do so before actually buying the equipment.

The ethics (or lack thereof) of a company whose technology you implement should not enter into the choice, particularly when the merits and performance of the product are so vital to the success of your business. I doubt many on this forum would want to sacrifice some picture quality just to avoid using technology from Microsoft.

Wilt H of VOOM has said they may use MPEG-4 as well, so they are leaving their options open.

All this hype and no substance, i dont care how many high def channels you have if your installers dont show up to install the boxes. customer service is horrendous and forget about the non return of money billed to my cc

stevesmall said:
All this hype and no substance, i dont care how many high def channels you have if your installers dont show up to install the boxes. customer service is horrendous and forget about the non return of money billed to my cc

You just never give up do you?

Start your own thread man....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)