Welcome Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the purpose of downgrading the forums from vBulletin to XenForo?

Because 1. It wasn't a downgrade and 2. vB is a steaming pile of crap. I used vB 4 on my site for 6 months, and it was so slow, buggy and unwieldy that I switched back to IPB. vB doesn't fix bugs, they instead want you to buy the new branch of software every opportunity they get. Then in each new branch of software, they break more things, your custom skins and plug ins no longer work, and it loads down your server like a pack mule. Those enough reasons, or should I break out more?

Because 1. It wasn't a downgrade and 2. vB is a steaming pile of crap. I used vB 4 on my site for 6 months, and it was so slow, buggy and unwieldy that I switched back to IPB. vB doesn't fix bugs, they instead want you to buy the new branch of software every opportunity they get. Then in each new branch of software, they break more things, your custom skins and plug ins no longer work, and it loads down your server like a pack mule. Those enough reasons, or should I break out more?

vBulletin 4 works great on my site and thousands of others.

There are sites far larger than this with far more members, posts, and traffic that run the vBulletin software just fine.

Ten of the 15 largest message boards on the Internet are running the vBulletin software according to TheBiggestBoards.com. This includes forums with over 40 million posts and over 1 million members. Not a single one of them is running XenForo, phpBB, or IPB.

There's a reason why vBulletin is considered the gold standard of forum software.

Let's keep personal attacks out of the conversation. ;)

Reactions: Tyralak

There are sites far larger than this with far more members, posts, and traffic that run the vBulletin software just fine.

Ten of the 15 largest message boards on the Internet are running the vBulletin software according to TheBiggestBoards.com. This includes forums with over 40 million posts and over 1 million members. Not a single one of them is running XenForo, phpBB, or IPB.

There's a reason why vBulletin is considered the gold standard of forum software.

AFAIK that site has not been updated in 6 years. A lot can change in 6 years in the computer world. Also 6 years ago xenForo did not exist and IPBoard was in its infancy.

You're living in the past. WAS the gold standard is more like it. Where vB is headed is where Novell was in 2000-2001. Still a big market share, but rapidly dwindling. vB 3.6 was its golden age. After that, it started going downhill. 4 was irritating and top heavy, and 5 is utter garbage. Here is a particularly interesting article on AVS forums. http://www.avforums.com/threads/vbu...net-brands-have-killed-off-vbulletin.1855705/
Notice which versions all these big sites that still use vB are running. I'll give you a hint. It's not 5, and there are good reasons for it. When IB tries to force them into switching to 5 because they refuse to support their product, I'll bet you many of them will jump ship.

The irony of someone posting on a forum about satellite technology accusing others of living in the past. We are all "living in the past" here.

These big sites aren't running 5 because they are trying to cram 5 full of dumbed down Facebook casual crap. Running a forum around Facebook is no way to run a forum at all.

vB 4 still remains superior to any of its competitors.

The irony of someone posting on a forum about satellite technology accusing others of living in the past. We are all "living in the past" here.

These big sites aren't running 5 because they are trying to cram 5 full of dumbed down Facebook casual crap. Running a forum around Facebook is no way to run a forum at all.

vB 4 still remains superior to any of its competitors.
If you really pay attention, most of the big sites in that list are running vB3.x.

If you investigate more, you'll find that some of the sites in the list are owned by Internet Brands. So what software do you expect them to run? vB5? vB4? Nope! Surprise, surprise they run vB3.x.

As of May of this year, vB is crashing fast..

VbtoXF1.png

vbMarket.jpg

There are telltale signs that it's much worse for vBulletin. For example, a 50% decrease in active membership at vBulletin.org since January 2013.

vBulletin's support has dropped below acceptable levels for most people. The most recent fiasco was the loss of multiple file uploads via the flash uploader. vB said they would not fix it and a vB site owner ended up coding the fix for them.

Last edited:
Great job Scott!! Thank you for all your hard work to keep this site running It looks really good!!!

TheBiggestBoards hasnt updated their rankings since 2008. There wasn't XenForo back in 2008.

Many of those sites listed (including avforum) are now using Xenforo.

vBulletin is dead. They don't support 3 or 4 anymore and 5 is utter crap. It is so bad that their parent company Internet Brands won't use 5 on ANY of its sites except for the main vBulletin site.

How do I go to the first unread post in my list of watched threads?

Yeah, well, I'm having a hard time finding them because the layout of this new forum software is so terrible. Where was this discussed?

I sure hope you guys plan on fixing these color schemes because the default and dark styles both look awful.
You are just a little ray of sunshine, aren't you.
The reason for the move was discussed for a while in the vBulletin site, but you have to be a pub member to see it.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/feedback-wanted-is-it-time-to-say-goodbye.336928/unread

Later, after pub members got to test drive the new software, poke around and make constructive suggestions, Scott announced it to non-pub members in this thread
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/the-future-of-satelliteguys-announced-tonight.337263/

A week later, he made the switch.

Reactions: eurosport and DWS44
In SatelliteGuys Dark, you can barely see the author of the quoted text "dare2be said:". It's light gray on an off-white background.

Also, in the Dark theme, can't read most of the information on the Watched Threads screen. Author, page navigation buttons, etc. are all pretty much blank unless you hover over them.

Even the light gray font on the default style iss too washed out for the background.

Reactions: Teehar
Also, in the Dark theme, can't read most of the information on the Watched Threads screen. Author, page navigation buttons, etc. are all pretty much blank unless you hover over them.
I see what you mean. Working on it now. :)

Don Landis mentioned the font color for the username over to the left <<<. I see that Scott's name is in a nice shade of blue and very readable (to me). Above him is dare2be and it's in a harder-to-see bright green. Is the blue because he's staff (I see TNGTony's is also blue, so I suspect that's the case) or because he's currently online (??) or what ?

If it's because the user is staff, is it really necessary considering the banner right below that reads "Staff Member" ?

Ok Dare2be, give it a shot now. :)
Much better, thanks. Now if you could work on the quoted author font...

upload_2014-5-27_12-47-36.png

Also, I liked being able to see my entire list of subscribed threads, not just the unread ones. Took me a while to get back to this thread to reply. :)

I see them as the same color on my screen!

Don Landis mentioned the font color for the username over to the left <<<. I see that Scott's name is in a nice shade of blue and very readable (to me). Above him is dare2be and it's in a harder-to-see bright green. Is the blue because he's staff (I see TNGTony's is also blue, so I suspect that's the case) or because he's currently online (??) or what ?

If it's because the user is staff, is it really necessary considering the banner right below that reads "Staff Member" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts