What happened to regular software updates?

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Seems as though it has been a while since we've seen a GA release on the Hoppers and Joeys. Was Dish waiting on the injunction hearing to roll something out or are there serious problems that we don't know about? I'm frustrated with some of the known bugs, and I'd like to know that they are actually going to be addressed.

Are others sharing my frustration, or am I out here on my own?

John Kotches said:
Seems as though it has been a while since we've seen a GA release on the Hoppers and Joeys. Was Dish waiting on the injunction hearing to roll something out or are there serious problems that we don't know about? I'm frustrated with some of the known bugs, and I'd like to know that they are actually going to be addressed.

I was just wondering the same thing. It seems like there were a few software updates reported by Dish employees and that they had serious bugs. Given the time since the last report of the roll out, I would have expected a newer corrected version to be reported as being in testing right now.

With the OTA module reportedly nearly ready to be released, maybe that are waiting for that to roll out a major revision that includes what's needed for that?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I was just wondering the same thing. It seems like there were a few software updates reported by Dish employees and that they had serious bugs. Given the time since the last report of the roll out, I would have expected a newer corrected version to be reported as being in testing right now.

With the OTA module reportedly nearly ready to be released, maybe that are waiting for that to roll out a major revision that includes what's needed for that?

I hope that is the case.

Knowing the audience here you think they'd leak some info to throw us a bone.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

All I can say is YES they are... and I think people are going to be very happy.

All I can say is YES they are... and I think people are going to be very happy.

I'd hope so. It's been about 2 months since they've made a release GA and I don't consider this product to be anywhere near mature. Lots of nagging bugs and the more time passes, the more irritating they become. My biggest gripe is the shipping bug with the dropouts at the top and bottom of the hour. Never had this bug in 612, 622, 722 or even a DVR-converted 211.

If they can't fix it, they underspec'd something. I can't say what because I don't have access to run the tools.

I'm with you on this. The Hopper needs de-bugging and in the very near future. It's a great DVR that, IMO, has great potential, but right now it's still just a fustrating piece of equipment.

A litle off topic, I thought Dish has fixed the Guide defualting to "My Channels" and now it will defualt to the Favorites that you set up? Ever sinced Dish replaced my Hopper due to problems with the hard drive, the replacement is back to defualting to "My Channels" each day.

Ghpr13:)

Last edited:
Ghpr13 said:
I'm with you on this. The Hopper needs de-bugging and in the very near future. It's a great DVR that, IMO, has great potential, but right now it's still just a fustrating piece of equipment.

A litle off topic, I thought Dish has fixed the Guide defualting to "My Channels" and now it will defualt to the Favorites that you set up? Ever sinced Dish replaced my Hopper due to problems with the hard drive, the replacement is back to defualting to "My Channels" each day.

Ghpr13:)

My channels is the default, that was changed with software and is the same on the other VIP models. The Joey may remain on the list that you last used but that is a bug. It is the only newer model reciever that does this.

It makes perfect sense. Dish was problably tired of people calling them about "missing channels" or channels they think they subscribe to that they in fact do not. A lot of people leave their guides on ALL HD and call in wondering where the rest of their channels have gone. Or they set it to ALL CHANNELS and wonder why they have green in the guide telling them to upgrade. So from a business aspect, I would say it makes completely sense for them to make that change so that they reduce the amount of money spent on fielding calls from customers who really don't have an issue but its more education than anything else. That also frees up their call center agents to receive calls from people who actually have technical issues that need to be resolved.

It makes perfect sense. Dish was problably tired of people calling them about "missing channels" or channels they think they subscribe to that they in fact do not. A lot of people leave their guides on ALL HD and call in wondering where the rest of their channels have gone. Or they set it to ALL CHANNELS and wonder why they have green in the guide telling them to upgrade. So from a business aspect, I would say it makes completely sense for them to make that change so that they reduce the amount of money spent on fielding calls from customers who really don't have an issue but its more education than anything else. That also frees up their call center agents to receive calls from people who actually have technical issues that need to be resolved.

Makes sense. I never looked at it that way. I'm used to having to change it anyway, since my wife & I have separate Fav lists.

They've rolled out several others including s225 as well.

Rolling out to customers is another matter entirely.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Considering what we have read about some of these employee only releases, by all means, keep testing them on employees first!

navychop said:
Considering what we have read about some of these employee only releases, by all means, keep testing them on employees first!

I couldn't agree more. As much as I'm looking forward to Bluetooth and OTA support, I don't want system stability to take a hit.

I disagree. If anything Dish should allow which "Guide" the subscriber can set to default. I would think most people who take the time to set up their favorite have enough know how to realize what channels they subscribe to. Think about it, you can't have a favorite list without adding the channels yourself. Dish does one of the easiest ways of setting up your favorite list. And the "My Channels" listing is available to double check to see if you have a certain channel or not.
Having a favorite list that you can't set to default is just dumb, IMO.

Ghpr13:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)