What is Orby TV?????

I see a lot of junk channels thrown in to boost the count and the fact that none of the Hallmark channels are included makes it a non-starter. With the exception of 1 or 2 channels I can take or leave, I get the same thing in Flex-Pack, including Showtime, for a total of $59 all in. I'm not seeing an upside to it.

Reactions: raydio
I looked at those channels. they are nagra encrypted and not FTA.. try 11940 30000V and 12060 30000V or 11980 30000V. Hope that helps. One more thing they are HVEC encoded

A number of the channels were FTA a week or two ago as people contacted me about it. They also let me know they were just adding EPG data at the time.

I did not see it myself though.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I looked at those channels. they are nagra encrypted and not FTA.. try 11940 30000V and 12060 30000V or 11980 30000V. Hope that helps. One more thing they are HVEC encoded

Orby's transponders are 11940 and 11980; 12060 is a Tigo TV transponder. All of Orby's channels were encrypted when I looked on Saturday, January 19th. Attached is a .zip file containing two .htm files exported from TSReader tuned to the two Orby transponders. I see some channels have around 2-4 Mbps H.265 video and others are more like 0.5-0.9 Mbps. Are the higher bitrate channels the ones in HD?

Attachments

• Orby Transponders TSReader Info.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 208
What an odd bunch... for years, crying about why no one offers a skinny package or popular channels on satellite. Now a service is offering an alternative subscription package at a reasonable price. It has to start somewhere. Agreed, it isn't the perfect package of channels or PQ for each one of us; but damn, it is another satellite delivery option outside of Dish, Direct, cable or streaming.

Kudos to someone with the "tener cajones" to negotiate & implement a contract and be able to actually offer a package of popular channels that people actually have heard of and want to watch. On top of that, they hammered out a distribution deal with Best Buy to carry stock nationwide and contracted a major nationwide installation group. Guys, this is a major play! I am impressed!

I believe that a market exists for this package and it probably isn't the satellite and techno geeks who demand more than any service ever provides. Not everyone demands 12Mbps or even 2-4Mbps HD. Have you every been in an average customer's home and marveled at their subpar TV experience or the tiny screens that millennials watch hours and hours of crappy quality streams? LOL!!! Yes, a nonUHD world exists somewhere outside of this forum.... ;)

Before writing OrbyTV off during the first day of discussion on SatelliteGuys, shouldn't we see if they have what it takes to excel or if they misread the market and fail? I know... wishful thinking on my part!

Voom had very high costs making original content.

These guys are not serving up anything original.

I think the big issue these guys will have is they are not using a higher powered DBS satellite, but a regular KU satellite so I expect rain fade to be a real issue over standard DBS.
I agree, perhaps tomorrow were having a heavy down pour, you can measure a drop in signal

What an odd bunch... for years, crying about why no one offers a skinny package or popular channels on satellite. Now a service is offering an alternative subscription package at a reasonable price. It has to start somewhere. Agreed, it isn't the perfect package of channels or PQ for each one of us; but damn, it is another satellite delivery option outside of Dish, Direct, cable or streaming.

Kudos to someone with the "tener cajones" to negotiate & implement a contract and be able to actually offer a package of popular channels that people actually have heard of and want to watch. On top of that, they hammered out a distribution deal with Best Buy to carry stock nationwide and contracted a major nationwide installation group. Guys, this is a major play! I am impressed!

I believe that a market exists for this package and it probably isn't the satellite and techno geeks who demand more than any service ever provides. Not everyone demands 12Mbps or even 2-4Mbps HD. Have you every been in an average customer's home and marveled at their subpar TV experience or the tiny screens that millennials watch hours and hours of crappy quality streams? LOL!!! Yes, a nonUHD world exists somewhere outside of this forum.... ;)

Before writing OrbyTV off during the first day of discussion on SatelliteGuys, shouldn't we see if they have what it takes to excel or if they misread the market and fail? I know... wishful thinking on my part!
Call them up, and ask if they let you install it yourself I asked that question, and the girl just said can I have your phone number so what does that mean? No one called me back yet

I am surprised and very pleased to learn about a new DBS provider. With DirecTV phasing from satellite to streaming and Dish Network losing HBO, it's great to have a new alternative. I wish Orby nothing but success!

Reactions: StaticLapis
Call them up, and ask if they let you install it yourself I asked that question, and the girl just said can I have your phone number so what does that mean? No one called me back yet

Back several posts Brian (Titanium) mentioned that he self-installed and just had to provide information for them to activate it:

... Self Installed and connected to a dish aimed at 117w and went through the online set-up. Provided the SIM ID # and set-up monthly auto-pay on a credit card. The sign-up took less than two minutes. The STB authorized within five minutes, did a software update and I'm surfing the channels now.

Does not require professional install to activate. ...

Back several posts Brian (Titanium) mentioned that he self-installed and just had to provide information for them to activate it:
Actually, the service automatically activated online after entering my name, address, SIM # and a credit card on the website. I only called OrbyTV after the receiver activated to see if they would ship the duplexer and a terrestrial antenna.

The support rep asked for the signal strength and signal quality readings. I assume that this information is part of the install documentation normally submitted by an installer. They didn't ask any questions about the install. Thanked me for subscribing and to call them if I had any questions or problems.

If something happens to c band even Brian saying it wouldn't. If it does this we be an option for me. No sports sounds good to me something without espn.

Reactions: norman881

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)