What is the most popular OTA antenna?

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Just curious, as I am in the market for an OTA antenna, and wondering what everyone recommends. Most of my stations are between 20 and 40 miles (guess) from me. Thanks!

Most popular would be anything from Radio Shack if this forum is any indication :D

For a real recommendation start with antennaweb.org. They will tell you how far you are from the transmitters and in what direction. They will also make an antenna recommendation based on that information.

NEVER confuse most popular with best!

For your situation I would recommend the CM 4228 mounted outside. This also depends on what frequencies you are receiving.

Look up your EXACT address on www.antennaweb.org. Use their color coding to see how much antenna power you need, but if a tower is 40 miles away the 4228 is probably the choice. If you have VHF's at 40 miles, then you might go with the Winegard HD8200 as the 4228 is not very strong on upper VHF.

Ithink I am lucky! I am between 2 and 27 miles from the transmitting antennas. So, I should be able to get by just fine. Thanks for the help!

best antenna

cm4228 with or without an amp

The pro s recommend it as tops.

radio schack is for the amateurs

You might get by with an indoor Silver Sensor. Try Sears. You can return it if it doesn't do the job for you.

the silver sensor works pretty good...purchased one to play with and compare so I can comment on it

-very directional...be prepared to exercise every time you turn the channel ...except if all towers are in the same direction

- uhf only

-reception 20-40 miles is a risk indoors and in the attic.

whats your zip so we can take a look.

also what is it that you want to do.

Thanks for the help! I want to get both uhf and vhf, zip is 50701, and it looks like the farthest sation is 27 miles away. 2 miles for the closest. So it looks like I might get lucky and can get by with a small outdoor antenna :)

You can certainly get by with the StealthTenna, CM3010. It's smaller and less noticeable than many others, and it picks up VHF, UHF & FM. It looks directional, but isn't- and it's rated multi-directional. I know, I have one. I use the internal pre-amp, but you might get by without it. Most of my stations are 15 miles away.

The most recomended is the ChannelMaster 4228, If you are looking for an antena look at Winegard and Antenasdirect.com for ideas.

Jim5506 said:
NEVER confuse most popular with best!

For your situation I would recommend the CM 4228 mounted outside. This also depends on what frequencies you are receiving.

Look up your EXACT address on www.antennaweb.org. Use their color coding to see how much antenna power you need, but if a tower is 40 miles away the 4228 is probably the choice. If you have VHF's at 40 miles, then you might go with the Winegard HD8200 as the 4228 is not very strong on upper VHF.

NOT TRUE!!! The CM 4228 is very good on high vhf. In fact, I have my 4228 pointed to stations north of me, and it picks up channels 10 and 12 to the south, about ten miles away.

raoul5788 said:
NOT TRUE!!! The CM 4228 is very good on high vhf. In fact, I have my 4228 pointed to stations north of me, and it picks up channels 10 and 12 to the south, about ten miles away.

I have had experience with the cm4228 with all channels 7-13 . With various miles from towers, conditions (multipath, etc.), transmitter power, geography.

-Many owners had there conception of what was good reception
-there was the looks and WAF factor
-didnt want to spend the money for a combo, combo was too big
-this is short term for me, cable or sat was going to get the channels soon

heard every line

but from my experience, antenna science is not an exact science.

There are a ton of variables and conditions out there. not one install is the same, there's always something different.

Here are some examples...

gentleman from san fran. ch 12 1 mile away good
you 10 miles away good ch 10 and 12
me...ch 9 19 miles away bad...in basement trying to sell it
parents...ch 7 and 8 digital, ch 12 analog 8 miles bad...now using an hd7082p
friend...40 miles north in attic ch 9...take a guess?
friend ...rochester, new york ch 8, 10,13 8 miles good
customer rochester 8 miles bad...just bought an hd7082p to try

but what is good...68,90 signal strength...some snow...crystal clear...no multipath...some multipath...a few drop outs...no dropouts...who cares directv getting hd in june.

But for 20-40 miles high vhf with a cm4228 ...it's a risk...less then 20, all depends...there are signal peaks and valleys between channels with that antenna... and the worse thing is getting all excited over an antenna...waiting a week to get it... then once you install it... you are not satisfied....and you are stuck with it.

this is the probabilty factor...a chance you take...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
raoul5788 said:
The difference in 10 miles and 40 miles is a loss of about 85% of signal (6-7 dB). The 4228 is fair at high VHF because of the continuous back screen, but it has only about 6 dB gain on ch 10 the rest are lower, some like ch 8 and 12 are very poor.

At 40 miles you will probably need at least 8-10 dB gain to get a solid signal lock all the time.

the user would like vhf and reception 20-40 miles away

db4 , db8, cm4221, pr4400, pr8800, uhf yagi's - no works
cm4228 - maybe

most dependable reception - vhf/ uhf combo

suggest winegard
hd 7082p good
**hd7084p better
**hd8200p best

preamp suggested...winegard hdp269

if the user selects the cm4228 it is a risk...a maybe.

AntennasDirect XG91. At 75+ miles from the towers an outstanding antenna. UHF only, but great gain even in low UHF band. Combined with a CM7775 preamp it almost creates miracles. If you are less than 75 miles from the towers, you can't go wrong with it. If you're less than 30 miles or so, you may just use a less strong preamp, or none, if you have a short coax run. I've heard that the Winegard 8200p is just as good. I only can recommend this one. But it's as directional as a satellite dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts