What is wrong with the Cleveland Indians?

And you know Sweet Lou is just going thru bottles of Rolaids now that Marmol is closing while Wood is out. Marmol can be brilliant one night and an absolute nightmare the next. Maybe...just maybe a closer's role will fit him better.

Your Weekly Cliff Lee Update

Cliff pitched yet another gem last night against the Twinkies.....

8IP, 6H, 2ER, 10K!

And the most important part, is that he led the team to victory in route to his 14th victory!

Cliff is now 14-2 with a season ERA of 2.29!

Tonight marks the return of Fausto Carmona. Carmona's been out since May. His return will definitely be welcomed.

Go Tribe!

Cliff pitched yet another gem last night against the Twinkies.....

And the most important part, is that he led the team to victory in route to his 14th victory!

Go Tribe!
:confused:
How many hits to score runs did Cliff Lee have ?
Indians scored 5 runs in the first two innings has to help tremendously.
Indians won 5-4, did Lee knock in 5 runs ?
:D

Jimbo

Last night, Paul Byrd did his best Cliff Lee impression with a 4-hit shutout.

Yes he did! As I posted in the Detroit Tigers Thread.....

Tigers were shutout for the 11th time this season. Coincidentally, last night was the 11th shutout thrown by Tribe pitching this year.

Crafty 37 year-old Paul Byrd gets the win. What a performance! 7.2 innings, 4 hits, 0 ER.

I don't understand the Tribe. Not one bit. More personalities than Cybil. Beating up on teams they have no business beating on. And yet their record...well, it's just awful. On a positive note, Cliff Lee seems to have filled in for C.C. (who in turn took over for Bartolo) quite nicely.

Since the Indians are currently in a 3-game series against the Rays, I thought I'd share a rather interesting stat.......

In games determined by 2 runs or less, the Indians are 15-27 this year. This is the second worst in the league. Flip that record around and that's a 12 win differential in the win column. We would be .5 games out of first place hypothetically!

On the contrary, the Rays have the second best record in games decided on 2 runs or less. This one stat may show why they've been so successful this year.

The lesson? having a good bullpen is the key to success in this league. Blowing late saves and close games is demoralizing to a team.

A wise manager once said, "show me an awful bullpen and I'll show you an awful team".

The Indians, IMO, could use a cloning machine.

That way, they could have five Cliff Lee's on the pitching staff.

Then what would they do NEXT year when he goes back to being the normal ordinary pitcher he's always been till now ?

2008 Season Stats
SPLITS G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
Season 22 22 2 1 153.2 144 46 44 7 22 127 15 2 105.6 1.08 .247 2.58
Career 151 147 5 1 895.1 909 467 426 112 277 676 69 38 98.5 1.32 .261 4.28

His career stats are slightly better than I thought, slightly...

Jimbo

Then what would they do NEXT year when he goes back to being the normal ordinary pitcher he's always been till now ?

2008 Season Stats
SPLITS G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
Season 22 22 2 1 153.2 144 46 44 7 22 127 15 2 105.6 1.08 .247 2.58
Career 151 147 5 1 895.1 909 467 426 112 277 676 69 38 98.5 1.32 .261 4.28

His career stats are slightly better than I thought, slightly...

Jimbo

Jimbo,

Cliff Lee has been a good pitcher for us, with the exception of last years funk.

In 2002 and 2003, he was just coming into the league and barely pitched at all.

In 2004 Lee had 14 wins
In 2005 Lee had 18 wins
In 2006 Lee had 14 wins
In 2007 Lee had an off year and was sent to the minors.
In 2008 Lee already has 15 wins and an ERA of 2.58. 15 wins are actually a conservative number at what Lee could have won so far this year. With the Indians and their super disappointing bullpen, the bullpen blew 3 would be wins for Lee this year!

So, as for your claim for a "normal", "ordinary" pitcher, Lee is not. Averaging over 15 wins a season definitely earns more respect than that....

Jimbo,

Cliff Lee has been a good pitcher for us, with the exception of last years funk.

In 2002 and 2003, he was just coming into the league and barely pitched at all.

In 2004 Lee had 14 wins
In 2005 Lee had 18 wins
In 2006 Lee had 14 wins
In 2007 Lee had an off year and was sent to the minors.
In 2008 Lee already has 15 wins and an ERA of 2.58. 15 wins are actually a conservative number at what Lee could have won so far this year. With the Indians and their super disappointing bullpen, the bullpen blew 3 would be wins for Lee this year!

So, as for your claim for a "normal", "ordinary" pitcher, Lee is not. Averaging over 15 wins a season definitely earns more respect than that....

I agree to a certian extent :

'04 14 wins 8 losses, not bad, but the Offense won most of his games, his ERA was 5.43

'05 18 wins only 5 losses and a sparkling 3.79 era, very , very good year :)

'06 14 wins and 11 losses with a 4.40 era, I would NOT consider this to be a good year

'07 5 wins and 8 losses and a 6.29 era

'08 15 wins and only 2 losses and another sparkling 2.58 era (so far) an excellent year going so far.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So lets take a closer look , since '04.
In '04 I would say it was an average year, the 14 wins is yes a positive, but the era is MUCH higher than it should be.-

'05 was an exceptional year :up

'06 I would consider a decent year, not great, good number in the wins column, bad numbers in the loss column, a few games over .500 with a avg era -

'07 5 wins and 8 losses and a 6.29 era, enough said :down

'08 Another exceptional year and counting :up

So, I have 2 :up 2 avg and 1 :down

Jimbo

Pitching sure is strange commodity. One year it's there, the next it's gone. Detroit's staff sure looked rosy in '06. Nice mix of veterans and youth (mostly youth). Big kids with million dollar arms, and 100mph fastballs. We locked them up with huge contracts, and now look what we got. Funny how quickly it all changes.

Pitching sure is strange commodity. One year it's there, the next it's gone. Detroit's staff sure looked rosy in '06. Nice mix of veterans and youth (mostly youth). Big kids with million dollar arms, and 100mph fastballs. We locked them up with huge contracts, and now look what we got. Funny how quickly it all changes.

Thing is Paul, they may be back to '06 form next year, don't know till we get there.
Bonderman's been hurt for a couple of years now, hopefully this time off and surgery will straighten him out.

The Pen needs to be revamped with players, not guy's like Farmsworth filling space.

Jimbo

Stop me when this is getting old. Cliff Lee earned his 16th win with yesterday's shutout! His ERA is now lowered to 2.45. Lee had 0 walks and impeccable control yet again. Through 162 innings, Lee has only has 22 walks!

Stop me when this is getting old. Cliff Lee earned his 16th win with yesterday's shutout! His ERA is now lowered to 2.45. Lee had 0 walks and impeccable control yet again. Through 162 innings, Lee has only has 22 walks!

He's the RUNAWAY AL Cy Young Award winner!

Random thoughts at the start of December

NFL - Bills Head Coach just Fired

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)