Which one? Insignia 50''Plasma or LG 47" LCD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nitemare

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
oh
Just got DirecTV few days ago. Now need to find a HD TV.

My requirements are
1) 1080p,
2) Response time 2M (LCD only) Plasma does not matter as it is not effected
3) Under 1K
4) Contrast atleast 33000:1
5) Minimum 47'', prefer 50''
6) Need financing (no interest/minimum monthly payments)

I was settled on the LG LG47LH40 for $999,
PROs- More HDMI ports, better sound
CONs- Smaller size, $100 more
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+47%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9251132.p?id=1218068508559&skuId=9251132&st=47LH40&cp=1&lp=1

Now, I see BestBuy sells Insignia® - 50" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV
Model: NS-P502Q-10A for $899.
PROS: 50'', cheap @$899
CONS: Bad sound
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...oductCategoryId=abcat0101001&id=1218079754471

I already read tons of reviews on both.

I read Insignia is a Best Buy brand only. However, it is made by Samsung/LG?. Also, im finding out Plasma's have better picture quality overall than LCD? I will be using this TV in the family room (mainly for movies and tv shows).

Which one would you choose? or neither and maybe something else?

Last edited:
Your 1st choice I do not like because:
60HZ refresh rate, slow response time at 6, and its 46"

2nd choice - too much money, still same slow response time at 6, and 60HZ.

Thanks for your input though.

Then Id say if those specs are what you are centering on, the the LH40 is a no brainer.

I still think you should spend another $150 and get something you'll appreciate more. I understand budgeting, but its $150. Its a long term investment, and I'm speaking from buyers remorse experience. The 1" less pic size doesnt even compare to the quality of this tv.

Amazon.com: Panasonic TC P46G15 - 46" plasma TV - widescreen - 1080p (FullHD) - HDTV: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FcrwZMCcL.@@AMEPARAM@@41FcrwZMCcL

PN50B550 - Can not do because there is no financing (best buy has 18 month interest financing). Amazon requires you to purchase a home theater too.
24-Month Financing on Select Samsung Home Theater Systems When Purchased with a Samsung HDTV

Also, Insignia is made by Samsung so both TVS will most prob perform same exact (except Samsung has more inputs).

I also prefer not to buy online for a TV in case of a return.

Since you are aiming toward BB, how about this one:
Panasonic - VIERA / 50" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV - TC-50PS14

The Panasonic plasmas are first rate and this one fits your budget and size requirements. I own last year's P50S1. Colors are true and can easily be tweaked to be spectacular. Sound is acceptable, though I like most feed a 5.1 system instead. BB shows a price of $979.

I own some Insignia and have found servicing to be a hassle. It may be made by Samsung or LG (don't really know). but it is to BB specs and BB is soley responsible for warranty and maintenance. Lately they have tended to be jerks about warranty work.

That Panasonic 50PS14 is OUT OF STOCK in all stores in my State! I would have to pay for shipping then at $105. bringing total over my budget.

Please keep up with the suggestions as I am still looking. I rather buy a known brand, but also keep it within budget.

Last edited:
If you have a magnolia section check the prices of the Panasonic TC-P50G10 model. Here in Chicago the price difference between the two is fifty to one hundred dollars depending on the week as it is a closeout. Also i bought one for my dad and it is a great Tv for movies and Bluray.

Nobody sells the Panasonic TC-P50G10 in my area. Best Buy does not carry it in store - only for delivery.

That Panasonic 50PS14 is OUT OF STOCK in all stores in my State! I would have to pay for shipping then at $105. bringing total over my budget.
It has more features which I dont really need like: Viera (wont need photos), PC input (wont be connecting PC), etc. Anyway, the killer though is its not available.

Insignia is made by Samsung. Hopefully I wont have servicing issues with it. What kind of issues did you have with it anyway?

I did not buy the Insignia TV. I have bought several other Insignia branded items. Every time I have purchased one, the sales people have pushed hard on the extended warranty. I generally refuse. When an item failed after a week, BB refused a direct replacement and insisted that the item needed to be sent to a central repair facility. The item was gone for nearly 2 months, and when it was finally returned it was actually a different refurb unit. Most places have a 30 day exchange policy for defective merchandise, but BB seems to only honor that if you buy the warranty.

OK, one more shot, although it seems you have your heart set on the insignia. I personally would find out what the expected ship date was on that Panny and wait a week if necessary. I plugged in several zip codes and it seems to be out of stock system wide. If they actually have it online (hard to tell sometimes), it probably means that they are filling the pipeline and they will be there soon.

If they don't expect it, check to see if the older P50S1 is available on closeout. I bought mine last summer for $1100, so I would expect the closeout price to be under $1k.

The features thing sounds a bit like rationalizing to me. (I wont pay less for a TV that has features I won't use) All TVs have features that aren't used.

P50S1 is not even coming up on best buys website. I dont have any commitment yet. Just checking out all options. I never buy just because of a name brand. I still can not find any negative reviews on this insignia model#NS-P502Q-10A. From what Im reading their other stuff has problems (LCD's/appliances)..but maybe since using LG parts its OK.

Keep the comments coming as I do appreciate them!

Nobody sells the Panasonic TC-P50G10 in my area. Best Buy does not carry it in store - only for delivery.
Only Best Buys with Magnolia sections carry it as it was a $2600 tv when it came out a year ago. amazon has the 46 inch version for $957 with delivery and offer no interest for a year. Newegg.com - Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV TC-P46G10 also a review of it Sound & Vision Magazine - Panasonic TC-46G10 46-inch plasma HDTV I know its a 46 but the picture quality blows away the insignia and Lg. If you have a high end electronics store in your area call and see if they have a floor model and take a look at it. For the price point and features you would actually use its well worth it.

Just got latest flyer from www.hhgregg.com - They have these Two TVS for $999 - LG and Samsung..

Which one? Im sure both of these are better than the Insignia.
Im leaning towards the Samsung one. It seems this THX display on LG does not work too well.

50PS60 - LG $999
Amazon.com: LG 50PS60 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV with THX Display Certification: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wv0LQo%2BYL.@@AMEPARAM@@41wv0LQo%2BYL

PN50B550 -Samsung $999
Samsung - 50" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV - PN50B550T2F

Sammy PN50B550 is actually $949!! OMG! Its only $50 more than the Insignia. This is the ONE I will buy!

If anyone thinks otherwise, please advise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)