Why differing picture quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sharpie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I know there is probably an intelligent explanation for this but I am a technology idiot. When I am watching ESPN HD (receiver set at 1080i output) when they are not broadcasting in HD the picture looks 100% better than any other SD channel. I continually change from 73 to 206 to compare and its not close. Last night, ESPN HD was showing golf but not in HD and there was a night and day difference in pic quality between ESPN HD and ESPN SD. When ESPN HD is not HD it is being delivered in 480 correct? Isn't that what the other non-HD channels are broadcast in? IF so, why the big difference is pic quality. I have always had issues with D* pic quality and to make a longer story short, technicians told me it is because I live in the midwest (central Illiniois). Don't even get me started on that explanation.

I believe that when ESPN is not broadcasting in HD they are still upconverting to 720p so you will notice a difference compared to the SD ESPN channel.

Chris

Sharpie said:
I know there is probably an intelligent explanation for this but I am a technology idiot. When I am watching ESPN HD (receiver set at 1080i output) when they are not broadcasting in HD the picture looks 100% better than any other SD channel. I continually change from 73 to 206 to compare and its not close. Last night, ESPN HD was showing golf but not in HD and there was a night and day difference in pic quality between ESPN HD and ESPN SD. When ESPN HD is not HD it is being delivered in 480 correct? Isn't that what the other non-HD channels are broadcast in? IF so, why the big difference is pic quality. I have always had issues with D* pic quality and to make a longer story short, technicians told me it is because I live in the midwest (central Illiniois). Don't even get me started on that explanation.

The Reason it looks better is that its the regular ESPN broadcast with a lack of excessive compression. The HD channels are not nearly as compressed as the HD channels and therefore suffer less bit rate wise. And its actually a hybrid of 1080i and 480i. The Screen in the middle (the 4x3 portion) is the 480i broadcast. and the outside bars add to the image making it a 1080i image with a 480i window. confused yet?

It looks better because there is less compression.

CRendall said:
I believe that when ESPN is not broadcasting in HD they are still upconverting to 720p so you will notice a difference compared to the SD ESPN channel.

Chris

I doubt that is the case because they show the program in a 4x3 window.

Shadow,

If excessive compression is the case, then I think D* needs to address this soon. I am sure with all their press releases as of late it is being addressed. Right now though my basic cable has a better look than that of Directv's. I am very happy with the HD but not the SD.

Sharpie said:
Shadow,

If excessive compression is the case, then I think D* needs to address this soon. I am sure with all their press releases as of late it is being addressed. Right now though my basic cable has a better look than that of Directv's. I am very happy with the HD but not the SD.

That seems to be the case with most viewers with HD sets.

The video compression is optimized for certain size tvs. it looks great on 27" and gets better as the size gets smaller. as it gets bigger it looks worse. if you think direct is bad you should see Dish's SD on my 52". my local Digital Cable is horrible as well. The analog cable channels will look better... but they are not digital so they wont be sharp. You also suffer snow and other effects with analog.

Unfortunately as of now Direct is not migrating to Mpeg 4 on the SD side. this is probably to save cost. They are also not adressing the compression isues as they seem to prefer quantity over quality. this seems to be the case with most digital.

I just want to note.. that after having all the current providers except voom Direct does have the best picture quality. IMHO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)