Why not 4DTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So what would happen if each one of us bought the receiver that is intended to be Shaw only, and paid Shaw an extra $2.00 per unit, seams like that could be a fair amount of cash just to allow SRL and SkyVision to sell a receiver to our market.
Terry

So what would happen if each one of us bought the receiver that is intended to be Shaw only, and paid Shaw an extra $2.00 per unit, seams like that could be a fair amount of cash just to allow SRL and SkyVision to sell a receiver to our market.
Terry

I'd pay $50 !

Some things:

1. Yes, Shaw contracts with the ACC to authorize their consumer receivers.

2. They do not use DVB-S2 yet. Part of the upgrade to the 6xx receivers is so they can switch HD channels to that format. As for turbo-8PSK, they do have some SD channels on that, and in time are going to move more, the most prominent the premium movie channels.

3. Good luck on getting Shaw Direct to sell some 605/630 receivers to you outside of their service, and getting US 4DTV providers to activate them. If you were so lucky, you would have to at least pay them full retail price for the box, not the subsidized price their customers would pay. You then need software written to work on the C-band paradigm, as well as work out contracts with the ACC to activate them and programmers to subscribe programming. I would be, if you are lucky, you might get 10K units, not likely worth such a venture, unless you are backed by a lot of money.

See I don't buy that, yes we may have to pay full retail for the units, like we did for the 4Dtv units, the software would be a drop in the bucket, just need them to do it, now the programming might be a different deal, but I buy my product over seas, and sell it here in the good ol USofA, I would think the same could be done with programming, I mean Canada DOES get ABC, CBS, and NBC, I think those are US companies, if not then...well we get them!
Terry

See I don't buy that, yes we may have to pay full retail for the units, like we did for the 4Dtv units, the software would be a drop in the bucket, just need them to do it, now the programming might be a different deal, but I buy my product over seas, and sell it here in the good ol USofA, I would think the same could be done with programming, I mean Canada DOES get ABC, CBS, and NBC, I think those are US companies, if not then...well we get them!
Terry

Pay retail for the box? - Yes and we should, we're trying to avoid contracts! (well I am!)

There is a catch with activations - we need to get the ACC(?) to agree to auth these new boxes. As far as I understand it, they know which boxes are which based upon their IDs - they won't auth a non 4DTV consumer box - this strikes me as more of an agreement with them and some technical work so as not to affect original Shaw boxes. Again, as far as I understand each box has a "provider ID" which in combination with the box ID allows the box to receive programming.

My 2 Cents... it does need someone who already distributes this programming (i.e. HITS) to form an agreement with the ACC and whoever makes the STBs (Motorola) to agree to sell programming and activate them. This is inline with the business of HITS and might make sense and a potential good business plan for them.

It might be easier to force Motorola's hand, by asking the FCC or the DOJ to look into Motorola anti competitive behavior. Clearly we have equipment and companies (HITS) willing to offer programming, yet Motorola is not interested in authorizing the equipment. Maybe if the DOJ starts digging they will find other things the cable industry, or more importantly that the DBS broadcasters are hiding.

Some times a well crafted letter to the players by a Washington DC attorney will make people, and companies rethink there positions.

It might be easier to force Motorola's hand, by asking the FCC or the DOJ to look into Motorola anti competitive behavior. Clearly we have equipment and companies (HITS) willing to offer programming, yet Motorola is not interested in authorizing the equipment. Maybe if the DOJ starts digging they will find other things the cable industry, or more importantly that the DBS broadcasters are hiding.

Some times a well crafted letter to the players by a Washington DC attorney will make people, and companies rethink there positions.

You've just captured what I came back to post...

There are providers prepared to sell programming to end-users, so why won't Motorola make a box for us?

Last edited:
The end users aren't there in quantity enough to make it a worthwhile venture. Not to mention the channels will need to get involved, and they may say no.

What we need to get accomplished is to get a stand alone receiver that can receive all the HITS satellites. It could be accomplished pretty easy I think if Motorola wanted it to happen.

> What we need to get accomplished is to get a stand alone receiver that can receive all the HITS satellites. It could be accomplished pretty easy I think if Motorola wanted it to happen.

Someone with money needs to hire a lawyer and attempt to license the DC2 and Combo mode from Motorola. If you could get authorization from them it would not be to hard to have a Korean company make it into a set top box.

:rant:

Hmm, now that I think about it that might be harder then it sounds. Both China and Korea have a hard time with not trying to hack the software.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)