Why Why no BBCHD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blasto65

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Rocky mount, VA
How do you let a channel like this launch and no one is carrying it. This is a perfect chance to give more HD and D* and E* seem not to care. What a shame

For D*'s part, they seem to lack the bandwidth to add anything new that isn't some obscure RSN (like the YES bonus cam). E* doesn't have any excuses and may add it sooner than next year.

I suspect that BBC Worldwide Americas, Inc. is at least partly to blame as I haven't seen evidence of anyone that is actually carrying the channel today.

For D*, no bandwidth = no new channels. With that said, a new satellite will be launched this fall. Expect more new HD channels to be added early next year.

Actually, there's several HD channels that neither sat provider has added yet. There's contracts to sign, and more than one reason that can cause a provider not to pick them up when the channel first launches.

Exactly, they're out of bandwith, or very close anyway.

New sat launch in September and hopefully active in December.

Then they can right all these wrongs, specifically WGN and AMC.

i know i'm beating a dead horse here but remove some of those HD PPV's and there's your room for a few new channels. they don't seem to care though.

i know i'm beating a dead horse here but remove some of those HD PPV's and there's your room for a few new channels. they don't seem to care though.

They did, they still need some of that bandwith for NFL, I imagine PPV HD on Sunday afternoons will be very limited.

I was hoping to turn on my tv today and see BBC HD, oh well. If we get it this fall, that would be great. AMC HD also. :)

I don't get why they don't do part-time HD until D12 lights up. Does the usual carriage contract language forbid it?

I was hoping to turn on my tv today and see BBC HD, oh well. If we get it this fall, that would be great. AMC HD also. :)
For DIRECTV subscribers, there's little chance of seen a lot of national HD programming until Q1 2010. Something may come, but it will likely be some additional channel that they bargained for a long time ago as was the case with BET. Pray that they don't add BET Jazz HD or LOGO HD (both available on DISH Network) before some of the other disturbingly absent channels.

The Viacom HD "bundle" deal was perhaps DIRECTV's biggest mistake ever.

Does the usual carriage contract language forbid it?
If it doesn't forbid it, it should. DIRECTV almost certainly learned their lesson regarding having to shut down channels with the final season of MPEG2 HD. As Jason point out, the PPV channels will go part time as the need arises because they don't really need seven overlapping showings of the same movie.

I don't get why they don't do part-time HD until D12 lights up. Does the usual carriage contract language forbid it?

Considering how many complaints they had when they turned off TNT HD on Sundays a few years ago, I guess I don't blame them.

I think they could squeeze a few more in now, but where there is trouble is when NFL starts, because I think they keep 9-10 feeds available instead of 6-7. There was a stink a few years ago about airing 4pm games late if 1pm games were still on, so now they dedicate extra bandwith to prevent that. That means they would have to keep 10 PPV HD or so, just to accomodate NFLST.

I thought they had a lot of PPV-HD channels? Why not get rid of those and move the PPV to their internet VOD service?

I thought they had a lot of PPV-HD channels? Why not get rid of those and move the PPV to their internet VOD service?
Those will be part time during ST like posted. I myself don't mind myself waiting for the new satellite. after the stuff i've been through with E*, i don't mind waiting waiting for a few more channels. ST is good enough to hold me over till new satellite launches.

You know, if these channels had launched their HD counterpart a year or so ago, they'd have made the bandwagon...

I guess it's DirecTV's fault the channels didn't have it together then.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)