Will cutting Scalar Ring weak signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I will cut my scalar ring on my Chaparral Corrotor II International to fit a DSS lnb. Will that make the C or Ku signal low or weak???

The scalar ring is designed more to eliminate interference than to enhance a signal.

I need some help here please.

I added the DSS into my scalar ring, just as all the pictures shown in this site. THe problem that I have now is tha when I try to align it I do not get the same quality in the C band satellites. Example, for PAS 3r I used to get 75 +% and the same for other sats. Now that I added the DSS next to the Feedhorn it went down to 30 -40% for sats I used to get 75 - 90 %. THe only change I got is the addition of the DSS.

Will it create interferance? Maybe I need better LNBs, I got the Chaparrall Corrotor II combo?

Any help I will apreciate.

I will remove the DSS this weekend and used a new scalar ring I have with is not cut just to see if I can get better signal. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Are you sure that you put it back together in the same exact position? Even a slight misalignment may screw up your reception.

As mentioned above
Your focal depth should not have changed, but the feedhorn might not be seeing the dead center of the dish. This could weaken your signal. Is the feed horn rotated from a previous setting

Last edited:
If the DBS LNB portrudes too much it may be masking the c-band LNB's view of the dish. I know when I was playing with multiple LNBs on my smaller Ku dish, 1/16" too far close to the dish would kill the signal on the main LNB. I ended up having to get my feedhorns flush with each other so that they wouldnt' affect each other.

So long as the DBS LNB doesn't stick out further than your C-band feedhorn does (through the scaler ring), this shoudlnt' be an issue.

Shawn

My problem is that my dish is in a 17 feet pole, so getting there and removing the scalar ring to add the DBS will get the legs loose. THen I had to put it back. I measure it from 3 points to the center and they were ok. I think it may no be completely center. I will work on it this weekend.

I am also pretty sure I made sure the DBS is not sticking out more that the Feedhorn is. I will double check that too.

The interesting thing I see is that I can track the arc. I can move between all Sats. I can find them, BUT I will not get all the channels and the ones I get will be very week. I think you guys may be right, my feedhorn is not center as it used to be before.

I will work on it this weekend and let you guys know what I found. THanks for your help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)