Will Voom ever be carried on DirecTV ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Lots of misinformation on this thread.

Echostars owns 20% of Voom according to their SEC filings. This was part of the original deal. Voom is still own and operates independently by Rainbow Media which it is a subsidiary of Cablevision Corp. In the USA, Voom HD Originals is only available through Echostar (Dish Network). Internationally, they are available in more than 50 countries. Countries like Canada, Japan, China, and continent like Europe (through Sky) are carrying Voom content in one of two forms. Either through carrying some of the channels full time like Sky HD or through a merge content like in Canada.

Certainly Voom would like to be with other operators in the USA. I am sure they would like the return of their investment through USA operators. However, most USA operators that do not carry Voom like DirecTv or Cable operators do not have the bandwith to do so. I am sure in the future there will be deals done. Cablevision who owns the Voom channels do not carry them but there has been speculation that they will and they were spot in Beta mode test on the Cablevision System.

As far as the content. Lots of people that do not have the Voom package just mis-speaks or do not know better. Since January 2006 when Voom re-branded their channels at CES, they had had more NEW content than INHD, INHD2, Universal HD and Discovery HD Theater together.

There seems to be a rationale here that less is better but that only applies with those that are trying to make a justification for not having extra HD channels. I can tell you that more is better. Even with channels like UHD that does a very poor job in adding new content, consumers that have it at least have the choice to hav more programming. The same happens with Voom. You have 15 Voom HD channels. 5 of them are movie channels which significantly have a big library of movies. Every day you will have at least two or three new movies. These are excellent movies too. If you want to see a thread dedicated to review these movies look here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=8932

Then you have the other channels which give you a whole soup of supplemental HD and content that are distinct from other mainstream HD channels. Just look on the Voom HD programming forum and you will see for yourself.http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=21

With all of these HD channels in Dish it is very difficult to watch or DVR all of them and many times what I do is just watch a few and catch the rest of the programming later on when it is repeated.

Just my 2cents. I am sure that if Voom was provided today to DirecTv subs it will be a welcome addition. The content is 10 times better than it was in the days of Voom DBS and very competitive with the HDnet and INHD channels.

I, for one, want nearly all of the Voom channels. Whatever I wouldn't watch, there's at least one person in my family that would. It would be an easy way to get back in the game with Dish, and I am DYING for a horror themed channel. I get the feeling Monsters HD is closer to getting on DirecTV than any of the other up-and-coming SD ones like Scream, Horror Channel, Fangoria TV, HorrorNet, etc.

VIPERS-PIT said:
Its funny that the feds broke up ATT into the baby bells and now southwestern bell SBC has rebought all but one of them.

Now is the time for D* to make the move and retask the E* birds to give EVERYONE the best choice. I would pay extra to have that.

you still have Quest and Verizon part of Atlantic Bell to be complete if I'm not mistaken but damn close.

IndyTech said:
D* and E* can never merge, they've tried it once, havn't they? and the FTC put the big hand down and said "NO WAY" for some odd reason LOL monopolies are illegal now.

They also split AT&T into the RBOCs way back in the day. Now AT&T is buying-back those same RBOCs and the FTC is not blocking it.

IndyTech said:
D* and E* can never merge, they've tried it once, havn't they? and the FTC put the big hand down and said "NO WAY" for some odd reason LOL monopolies are illegal now.
I wouldn;t be so sure about that....
Many things have changed since the last attempt.
The previous time would have been considered a takeover, this one will be more of a mutual dealing....
It would allow the sats to catch up to and pass the cable companies.

Jimbo

cablewithaview said:
wow, HD sports and HD locals, woopie do s#@t!!! give me some True HD programming period!!!
You appearently are not a sports fan at all....
Sports looks absolutely fabulous in HD.
D* has been a Sports programming leader since ... the very beginning.

Come to think of it, Sports is WHY I can to D* in the first place, long before HD...

Jimbo

rkr0923 said:
What!! D* give us more HD...........Forget About It!!!
Not gonna happen
oh, maybe and I stress "maybe" in 2007 if and I stress "if" their so called new birds are up and running
WOW,,,never knew Dish had this much HD......impressive
Gee,
31 HD channels you list...
About 8-10 that the normal D* subscriber might be interested in.

I would rather have channels in HD that people watch, rather than a bunch of channels that are just there to add to thier count.
Quality over Quantity.
I'm not saying all the HD channels D* offers are top quality, but more than I see on DISH's list.

Jimbo

cablewithaview said:
you still have Quest and Verizon part of Atlantic Bell to be complete if I'm not mistaken but damn close.
I don't see SBC/AT&T buying Verizon, possibly Quest, but not Verizon.
Verizon is the largest phone company in the US, SBC #2.
also Quest could be bought up by Verizon as well.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
You appearently are not a sports fan at all....
Sports looks absolutely fabulous in HD.
D* has been a Sports programming leader since ... the very beginning.

Come to think of it, Sports is WHY I can to D* in the first place, long before HD...

Jimbo

I watch some college ball and some CFL but really that's about it. I may tune to playoffs for the world series or super bowl but I am not a die hard sports fan. I don't sit through a season and keep up with stats, etc. I agree, sports does look good in HD. I think they should work on what they have to bring it up to full HD and add some more HD in the process.

briansanders007 said:
has the content of voom channels gotten better? I used to be a voom sub when it was actually a service and the picture quality was great. Content was a little repeated but it still looked good. has it gone down hill?

Content is about the same, tho' they have added a lot of newer movies, it still is a lot of repeats. Quality has gone down however due to the problem with both D* and E* and their downrezzing of picture quality (HD-Lite).

cablewithaview said:
I watch some college ball and some CFL but really that's about it. I may tune to playoffs for the world series or super bowl but I am not a die hard sports fan. I don't sit through a season and keep up with stats, etc. I agree, sports does look good in HD. I think they should work on what they have to bring it up to full HD and add some more HD in the process.
I am hopeing that will be addressed when the rest of the sat's are up and running.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
I am hopeing that will be addressed when the rest of the sat's are up and running.

Jimbo

well instead of adding nickle and dime stuff to the SD and eating up more band width, I wish they would resolve the issue now and make it look more inviting for future endeavours.

cablewithaview said:
well instead of adding nickle and dime stuff to the SD and eating up more band width, I wish they would resolve the issue now and make it look more inviting for future endeavours.
I agree, but as you well know, everything we talk about here is pure speculation unless D* has it out and or has released info on it.

Jimbo

I would have to say that it is unfair to knock Voom offerings if you have not actually seen them. Hearsay that they are not good and hence you are sure that you won't like them is a flawed argument. Besides, if D* is going to have all that capacity by next year, why not carry Voom? Rave, Monster, KungFu & Equator are all awesome.

mrhph said:
I would have to say that it is unfair to knock Voom offerings if you have not actually seen them. Hearsay that they are not good and hence you are sure that you won't like them is a flawed argument. Besides, if D* is going to have all that capacity by next year, why not carry Voom? Rave, Monster, KungFu & Equator are all awesome.
I suppose they could do that if they decided to work out a contract with the Voom people, they would probably pick and choose according to what they thought people might want.

Of course, the merger could change all that and then there would be a bunch of bandwidth available ..... I think this is one huge positive to the merger talk.

Jimbo

cablewithaview said:
Doctor Bob, do you really expect anything anytime soon? A merger is still questionable, not saying it couldn't happen, the FCC has been sending other mergers on through but unless another alternative is up and running or coming soon, I don't know. Now if IPTV takes off and offer even in the most rural of areas as well, I might can see it having a better chance of going through.

If they are talking about it in the Main Stream Media, that means that they have been discussing it behind closed doors for over 6 months!!! So the merger is not questionable, it's a reality... When will it happen??? When all of the legal beagles have their paperwork done... RONTGLMAO... The whole entertainment landscape will change within the next 2 years, and by then we might even see another DBS provider on the scene...

I can't wait to see some of the "New Offerings" at www.SatelliteExpo2007.com !!!

Doctor Bob said:
If they are talking about it in the Main Stream Media, that means that they have been discussing it behind closed doors for over 6 months!!! So the merger is not questionable, it's a reality... When will it happen??? When all of the legal beagles have their paperwork done... RONTGLMAO... The whole entertainment landscape will change within the next 2 years, and by then we might even see another DBS provider on the scene...

I can't wait to see some of the "New Offerings" at www.SatelliteExpo2007.com !!!
Do you think that D* considered this possible merger when stating the potenial of 150 HD channels by the end of 2007 ?

Could they have expected this that far back ?
I have not aseen any specifics on the merger yet, is it a merger or is one taking over the other ? and which way ?
Could the new merger be called :
DirectDISH ????

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
Do you think that D* considered this possible merger when stating the potenial of 150 HD channels by the end of 2007 ?

Could they have expected this that far back ?
I have not aseen any specifics on the merger yet, is it a merger or is one taking iver the other ? and which way ?
Could the new merger be called :
DirectDISH ????

Jimbo

The 150 HD national and 1500 HD LIL DirecTV comment represents the total expected maximum capacity of their DirecTV system (only) once the last 2007 launch is good. Not merged capacity or actual viewable channels; just their ability.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
The 150 HD national and 1500 HD LIL DirecTV comment represents the total expected maximum capacity of their DirecTV system (only) once the last 2007 launch is good. Not merged capacity or actual viewable channels; just their ability.
Yes,
I am aware of that, it was just a thought....

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.