Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
A benefit I see to wireless charging is that you dont have to worry about buying charging cords that will go bad. The charging port could be eliminated altogether.
The port probably needs to remain for emergency charging, out-of-service-area data transfers and as a backup when wireless audio transducers are charging.

Apple makes the questionable inference that wireless earphones are better than wired so why is wired charging better than wireless?

Here is a question though -- if they eliminate the lightning port, then say goodbye to using CarPlay in current setups. My Chevy Cruze Premier has car play, it connects via lightning cable. Only way to use it. While I can understand the choice made to go to bluetooth audio (and a year later, I really do like it, and get frustrated when I have to plug in my noise cancelling headphones which are not bluetooth), the same choice for charging seems far less persuasive. But that is Apple!!

Seems the main negative that will kill the sales is the cost and concern over continued low battery life.
While these are independent and decidedly damaging issues, I suspect the only thing that is certain is that the price will be too high. We should get a better picture of what OLED energy efficiency really means.

I think the bigger issue is likely to be that most everything "new" they offer hardware-wise will be a history lesson to the users of non-Apple phones.

I have to express my dismay for Apple's ongoing avoidance of making their product announcement coverage difficult to get for those who aren't using Apple devices. How do the expect to gain market share if they're snubbing the market they have the best chance of getting that share from: those who have demonstrated that they aren't happy about where Microsoft is going?

My 6 is slowly dying. Bluetooth and wifi are barely working. So I can't wait for the 8 to be released. I don't mind paying the fee as long as it's a big difference from the 7 .

A benefit I see to wireless charging is that you dont have to worry about buying charging cords that will go bad. The charging port could be eliminated altogether.
Will a wireless charging pad be included with the phone ?

If the port is eliminated, do people have to buy multiple pads or move the pad from room to room to charge ? What about charging in the car or similar ?

I spoke to Verizon last week about upgrade options and mentioned giving our son my currently available upgrade and using his in November when it's ready. The lady at Verizon strongly suggested I not do this as she saw I have an iPhone (my wife's hand-me-down 6+). She told me if it's like last year, Verizon should offer me a trade-in deal where they'll give customers a "full" credit of the monthly payment on a "new" iPhone for trading in my current one. I'm not sure that will happen with an "8" model so maybe it will be a partial credit as I anticipate the 8 being quite expensive and the monthly charges being $40-50/month. I mentioned I may consider that for the 7s/7s+ but she had never heard of this model !

Will a wireless charging pad be included with the phone ?
Probably not unless they scuttle the Lightning port at some point in the future. AFAIK, most other brands don't include a Qi pad. The other brands feature industry standard USB data/charging ports so they can't off them as readily. As I said previously, Qi pads aren't particularly expensive (unless Apple rejiggers the technology into something incompatible).
If the port is eliminated, do people have to buy multiple pads or move the pad from room to room to charge ?
I would hope that you don't need to charge your phone everywhere you move about the house but yes, you would need multiple pads or perhaps just one Qi enabled power bank (around $30) to sandwich with your phone.
What about charging in the car or similar ?
For automotive use, some other brands (Samsung, Google, Motorola) support car cradles with Qi pads built in (around $30) and I would hope that Apple wouldn't muck that up by putting their power pick-up in a proprietary location (other than center back of the phone).

Of course the whole idea of wireless charging may be a wet dream on the part of those who hope for the best in the coming announcement.

"Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8?"

Only if you want one real bad......

Lots of leaks and Apple confirmed leaks on the iphone 8 this weekend.

The 7s and 7s+ will be out as an alternative to the more expensive 8. There will be 3 versions of RAM- 64GB; 256GB; and 512GB. The 512GB will be using Samsung memory and the other two will be sandisk. The Samsung memory will be twice as fast as the Sandisk. Only 3 colors, white, silver gray, and gold. The 8 will require a special docking charger that will contain a chip so no third party chargers will be authorized. This was a real turn off for me. The camera will be 4K HDR both front and back. The screen uses a new touch sensitive tech that is thinner. Wireless headphone Airpods only. The 7s will still allow wired headphones, but with a lightning adapter. Still no confirmation on the resolution of the screen but strongly suggesting it will be 4K and brighter than the 7s. Battery charging will take longer than 7s but battery life is to be longer due to a screen that is more efficient. 8 is supposed to be close to 1 Ghz in processor speed, rumor is 900Ghz. If you must have the fastest phone out, the 8 with 512GB will get you there. I haven't seen any serious rumors on an 8+ or it's cost. The 8 will feature facial recognition for user identity that is said to be able to open the phone in milliseconds, better than finger print.

The 7s series will be more like the current 7 in design but will use the new A11 chip, but the memory will be same as the 7.

8 Price for different memories was announced at $999 for 64GB, 1099 for 256GB and 1199 for 512GB.

Reactions: navychop
I have to express my dismay for Apple's ongoing avoidance of making their product announcement coverage difficult to get for those who aren't using Apple devices. How do the expect to gain market share if they're snubbing the market they have the best chance of getting that share from: those who have demonstrated that they aren't happy about where Microsoft is going?
That's a real good point. I think Apple counts on the bloggers to Live "stream" the event (The Verge, Engadget, etc.) and the network media to cover it. TWiT will live-cover the even itself, with occasional inserts of the Apple live-stream, which can be more entertaining than the raw stream.

One week away.

Lots of leaks and Apple confirmed leaks on the iphone 8 this weekend.

The 7s and 7s+ will be out as an alternative to the more expensive 8. There will be 3 versions of RAM- 64GB; 256GB; and 512GB. The 512GB will be using Samsung memory and the other two will be sandisk. The Samsung memory will be twice as fast as the Sandisk. Only 3 colors, white, silver gray, and gold. The 8 will require a special docking charger that will contain a chip so no third party chargers will be authorized. This was a real turn off for me. The camera will be 4K HDR both front and back. The screen uses a new touch sensitive tech that is thinner. Wireless headphone Airpods only. The 7s will still allow wired headphones, but with a lightning adapter. Still no confirmation on the resolution of the screen but strongly suggesting it will be 4K and brighter than the 7s. Battery charging will take longer than 7s but battery life is to be longer due to a screen that is more efficient. 8 is supposed to be close to 1 Ghz in processor speed, rumor is 900Ghz. If you must have the fastest phone out, the 8 with 512GB will get you there. I haven't seen any serious rumors on an 8+ or it's cost. The 8 will feature facial recognition for user identity that is said to be able to open the phone in milliseconds, better than finger print.

The 7s series will be more like the current 7 in design but will use the new A11 chip, but the memory will be same as the 7.

8 Price for different memories was announced at $999 for 64GB, 1099 for 256GB and 1199 for 512GB.

I will most likely go with the 7s or 7s+ to replace my iPhone 6. I'm sure the iPhone 8 will be great but I just don't see myself spending that kind of money on a phone.

Honestly, I'm still pretty happy with the 6 but my Mom's iPhone 5 needs to be replaced. Her last few phones have all been handed down from me and it's not like I need that much incentive to be talked into an upgrade anyways. The bluetooth won't stay paired to her car for more than a day even though it works fine when I tested with my phone. The battery also struggles to make it through a day with very limited use. Looks like both of us will be getting an upgrade this fall.

The 8 will require a special docking charger that will contain a chip so no third party chargers will be authorized. This was a real turn off for me.
This is surely a fatal blow for many if it comes to pass. Not taking advantage of the creativity in the well established wireless charging marketplace is the height of hubris (and arguably stupidity).
The camera will be 4K HDR both front and back.
Are they making a camera or a phone? As you indicated recently, they have too much (yet not enough) camera as it is.
Wireless headphone Airpods only.
Given that fit remains a beef for some, this is pretty sad unless they're going to offer different sizes.
If you must have the fastest phone out, the 8 with 512GB will get you there.
The current hot phone chip is the Snapdragon 835 that allows four cores at 2.45GHz and the other four at 1.9GHz. Of course clock speed isn't everything so it will be interesting to see if the iPhone 8 can hope to keep up with the Samsungs when applications like VR are in play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)