Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

This is surely a fatal blow for many if it comes to pass. Not taking advantage of the creativity in the well established wireless charging marketplace is the height of hubris (and arguably stupidity).
Agreed! But I saw another rumor that there will still be the Lightning jack for quick charge. Not sure if that was ever confirmed, though.

camera or a phone?
Obviously both! Somewhere I saw OIS being built in too but like others it isn't really Optical, rather digital and only at 1080p resolution.

The airpods are great, no doubt but I don't see why other BT ear buds wouldn't work. The real limit is no wired headphones or ear buds. Just wireless. The 7 has the jack for wired ear buds. Based on this lack of wired ear buds and only Apple wireless charging, I'm thinking they have cut out the Lightning jack. I would hope Apple makes a wireless charging system that works with with the Apple watch magnet charger. That would be ideal for me, but I doubt it.

The current hot phone chip is the Snapdragon 835 that allows four cores at 2.45GHz and the other four at 1.9GHz. Of course clock speed isn't everything so it will be interesting to see if the iPhone 8 can hope to keep up with the Samsungs when applications like VR are in play.

Didn't know that. But my older 6+ plays 360 VR in 3D with no problem for speed. It can track the video 3D window as fast as I can turn my head. That is not the problem, it is the pixel density I need higher. That is the job for the GPU. The 6+ does get hot and the battery gets used in in about 90 minutes. So, I'm sure those 4 core devices at 2.45Ghz can be used for something else. Multi core is good for multiple apps running and rendering if the render engine supports it.

Agreed! But I saw another rumor that there will still be the Lightning jack for quick charge. Not sure if that was ever confirmed, though.
If there is a lightning jack for charging, how/why will they deny wired headsets?
The airpods are great, no doubt but I don't see why other BT ear buds wouldn't work. The real limit is no wired headphones or ear buds. Just wireless.
Given that one of the biggest complaints of the airpods among those whom they fit well is having to use Siri to control them, I think there's more to the wired .vs. wireless argument.
I would hope Apple makes a wireless charging system that works with with the Apple watch magnet charger. That would be ideal for me, but I doubt it.
Since there's little reason for them to be on the same charging schedule, I can see offering watch charging but with the kinds of uses you're putting the phone through, I can't see carrying a complicated charger around. With something like VR, I can see a need to charge the Airpod case and the iPhone at the same time but I can't imagine waiting for the Airpods to charge to continue running if you are participating in some manner of organized event.
So, I'm sure those 4 core devices at 2.45Ghz can be used for something else. Multi core is good for multiple apps running and rendering if the render engine supports it.
The 8 core processors can do all sorts of things including generating more complex environments to be VRing in. This two-stage processing system is pretty popular in Android TV boxes (and SMART TVs) where half of the cores do basic stuff and housekeeping and the other half do advanced tasks.

So Foxbat will post the Apple coverage thread live at SatGuys?
I really don't have time to do that, just check the TWiT Live Feed YouTube link below during the Apple event:

Besides, I have a day job. Kid in college, can't retire just yet...

TKS. But I can't have video at work, or even audio. I need to just read the results. Which I'm sure will be posted in articles everywhere after the event. I just was looking for live reporting.

Seems to me somebody does that here each year. Maybe my rememberer is wrong.

The problem with many of these live commentaries is that they don't bother to note what is truly important or they get carried away talking about what might have been. That's where a digested feed is very convenient.

Reactions: navychop
And, it won't cost $1,000!

err, unless you get the iPhone 8+ with 512 GB of storage...

Nope. Not needed. iphone 7 with 128gb currently has 38gb used, thanks to how photos are now stored in iCloud! The file management is now so good that it just isn't necessary to have all that space!

I know that no one here seems to be hung up on the names but over at macrumors, they are livid over the different possible, proposed names. No one seems hung up on the 7s/7s+ naming scheme (now possibly skipped) but the "X", "8", "Anniversary edition", and so on have people going nuts. One name I've seen is just "iPhone Edition". What the hell does that mean ?

One name I've seen is just "iPhone Edition". What the hell does that mean ?
Like the ?Watch Edition is the premium-body Apple Watch (currently white ceramic which replaced the solid 18K gold body of the first generation Apple Watch Edition).

Nope. Not needed. iphone 7 with 128gb currently has 38gb used, thanks to how photos are now stored in iCloud! The file management is now so good that it just isn't necessary to have all that space!

Start shooting 4K video at 100Mbs and then tell me you don't need that space. Not only will your file sizes be in the GB but you won't be uploading those to the icloud even on wifi because the upload time will take forever.

Not everyone shoots video but those that do will quickly fill up the 256GB storage won't be enough either.

Of course I don't shoot my video with the iphone. I prefer real video cameras for that task. The biggest storage hog on my 128GB iphone are audio books. I have quite a library downloaded.

Like the ?Watch Edition is the premium-body Apple Watch (currently white ceramic which replaced the solid 18K gold body of the first generation Apple Watch Edition).

I prefer SS model.

Today, I measured the thickness difference between my apple watch original and the watch 2 and the watch 2 is 2mm thicker. I heard the 3 will be back to the original thickness.

Start shooting 4K video at 100Mbs and then tell me you don't need that space. Not only will your file sizes be in the GB but you won't be uploading those to the icloud even on wifi because the upload time will take forever.

Not everyone shoots video but those that do will quickly fill up the 256GB storage won't be enough either.

Of course I don't shoot my video with the iphone. I prefer real video cameras for that task. The biggest storage hog on my 128GB iphone are audio books. I have quite a library downloaded.

But I don't shoot 4k video, so I don't need that storage. So I'm good. :D

But even if I did, my wifi uploads are pretty darn good, with gigabit service, and 250mb upload speeds. ;)

I know that no one here seems to be hung up on the names but over at macrumors, they are livid over the different possible, proposed names. No one seems hung up on the 7s/7s+ naming scheme (now possibly skipped) but the "X", "8", "Anniversary edition", and so on have people going nuts. One name I've seen is just "iPhone Edition". What the hell does that mean ?

Probably the LTE version of the watch.

Looking forward to seeing the non-LTE version of the watch 3. My first generation watch is ready for an upgrade, as battery life is taking a beating given my usage.

The big turn-off for me for the iphone 8 is the screen size, while just as tall as the iphone 6+ it is skinnier and not a normal aspect ration for video. This is odd and I would need to see how that works before I would buy one. But even bigger problem I see is Apple's decision, once again to limit the charging options to proprietary Apple charger. I love the iphone and how it works but do not like how they constantly obsolete charging hardware. We have cords here that work with some devices and not others yet look identical. Good thing they are white so I can write on them with a sharpie. Looking forward to seeing what they will say about the charger on Tuesday.

I also have a number of chargers for our apple watches. My daughter has the new Watch 2 and it seems to be charging OK with our older magnetic disk cords. Good test this weekend. If the new Watch 3 obsoletes the older chargers, then I'm not going to upgrade the watch either. I'm interested in the water proof model, but not as thick as the watch 2.

Anyway, too many leaks that contradict each other. Time to just wait for the official word on what will be in the products and the cost. I don't see me doing any upgrades anyway this Fall.

Reactions: Foxbat
I currently have an iPhone 7+ and really don't have plans to upgrade it anytime soon. It does everything I want a phone to do and the screen size is perfect for me.

Reactions: TheForce
I have to express my dismay for Apple's ongoing avoidance of making their product announcement coverage difficult to get for those who aren't using Apple devices.
I don't have Windows 10, but Apple says the Edge browser is compatible with the media stream Apple is using for the Live Stream. From the Apple Event page at Apple:
Requirements: Live streaming uses Apple’s HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) technology. HLS requires an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with Safari on iOS 9.0 or later, a Mac with Safari on macOS v10.11 or later, or a PC with Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. Streaming via Apple TV requires an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) with software 6.2 or later or an Apple TV (4th generation).
So right there, 400 million PC users can watch...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts