Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

There are no ongoing costs (according to a friend at AT&T)

From the Apple page...

All Apple Watch models feature Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) also delivers cellular connectivity independently of your iPhone but must share the same carrier. The following companies are part of a growing number that support Apple Watch.

Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) requires an iPhone 5s or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires an iPhone 6 or later with iOS 11 or later. Apple Watch and iPhone service provider must be the same. Cellular is not available with all service providers. Roaming is not available outside your carrier network coverage area. Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Contact your service provider for more details.

Apple Watch - Carriers

I need to upgrade my 5s. Was looking at an 8, but 64 not enough, 256 too much. I'll opt for a less expensive 128gb 7 at $649. I'm sure retailers will have sales in the coming weeks, to sweeten the deal.

Yeah I dont like they got rid of the 128 version.

But most of my stuff now is in the cloud. I do wish Apple offered a yearly subscription for Cloud Service instead of month to month.

Reactions: lparsons21
I never really use my Apple TV so really not excited about the Apple TV 4K. I did like that if you purchased a movie in HD that it will be upgraded for free to 4K. But since I haven't purchased

The apple tv was the only thing I was interested in since Amazon is coming to it, but looking at it and the new leaked Fire tv, if I update, it will be to the Fire. The upper end model is basically a merger of the echo dot and the fire tv, which would make voice controlling the device much simpler.

Yeah I dont like they got rid of the 128 version.

But most of my stuff now is in the cloud. I do wish Apple offered a yearly subscription for Cloud Service instead of month to month.

I was expecting them to add up the memory for the 7 and 7 plus . Was surprised They eliminated the 128 gb on the 8 and also got rid of rose gold color.

I have seen the new Fire TV 4K, its a box shaped thing and features Alexa in it as well, I believe the cost is $129 which is cheaper than the Apple TV 4K.

Maybe a silly question, but can you have the iPhone 8/8+/X in a case and still charge it wirelessly? The watch has to physically touch the charger, is this true for the Qi inductive charging?

I have had phones with QI Wireless charging in the past (Samsung) and they worked fine in the case.

Also suchs with the new Apple Charge Pad it does not appear to work with older Apple Watches.... and also I am wondering if they will offer a wireless charging case for iPhone 7's.

I have had phones with QI Wireless charging in the past (Samsung) and they worked fine in the case.

Also suchs with the new Apple Charge Pad it does not appear to work with older Apple Watches.... and also I am wondering if they will offer a wireless charging case for iPhone 7's.

Thanks Scott!
Probably that is because the older watches require the magnet connection? Just a guess.

The X looks very cool but I don't think I can justify the extra $300. Looks like I'll be going for the black iPhone 8 64GB. That's a significant upgrade from my 16GB iPhone 6.

So in thinking about things now that the Apple High is wearing off...

I now don't want a new Apple Watch. I have a series 2 and only use it to keep time and track of my activity / heart rate. All that Apple Watch apps for the watch SUCK and its so slow.

When I have my Apple Watch on I have my cell phone with me, do I want to pay $429 for a new watch that really does not do anything new but has a cellular connection built in?

Even on the iPhone 8, we get a better camera. Is the camera on my iPhone 7+ that bad and is it really worth an upgrade? The wireless charging is nice, but I have chargers at all the places I go to already to move to wireless would require me to buy wireless chargers... and is plugging in a lightning cable to the phone really that much of a hassle? In addition when I played with Wireless Charging before (Samsung Galaxy Note 7) wireless charging was SLOW.. even when the Fast Charger.

I am on the fence now... and before I do anything I need to see the 8+ and the X side by side to see if the $300 more is worth it... I just cant see paying that much to animate poop.

Scott...how would you compare the Note8 to the iPhone 8? I'm looking to jump off the Apple wagon in lieu of a better camera. It seems Samsung is leap years ahead on that front.

Man, were the rumors all wrong! LOL!

I should know better than to pay attention to rumors.

Watch 3 with cellular: I plan on ordering one after I see what the Verizon charges will be. I will get the SS model 42mm. Disappointed in that the case thickness is like the watch 2 + 0.1mm thicker, I hope I get used to it.
Glad the Apple watch does not require a different phone number.

The big plus I heard that was not rumored is the arrhythmia detector. With my condition and having had one surgery already for atrial flutter, this is a very important life saving device. I have been waiting for something like this for awhile.

I've been wanting a water proof Apple watch for awhile too but didn't want the 2 because the 3 was so close.

iphone X: Very disappointed in that it is not a 4K screen but the size seems to be good. I'll need to have a look at one before I decide to make the move. Have a couple months to see if I can afford it anyway.

Glad the rumor that Lightning connector is gone which I see is false. Plus having Qi 3rd party chargers is another plus. True for the 8 as well.

Tom Cook's claim that this is the device for the next 10 years is not true, I hope. The X is hardly futuristic enough to be that. It's just faster and one less button but not that exciting, IMO. To me, if I get one it is because I will have had my current iphone 6+ for 2.5 years.

Apple just updated the Apple watch page to add this... "Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Contact your service provider for more details."

I have gone from excited to disappointed in just a few short hours. Maybe I need more sugar or something. :D

Mike, I had a Note 7, and it was SO SLOW compared to an iPhone. Other than that I liked it. But I must admit I was happy to move back to an iPhone again after the Note 7 was recalled.

Reactions: mikew
Scott- Take note of my Arrhythmia detector in the watch 3.

Also, the iphone X uses an optical image stabilizer for both cameras, while the 8 is just digital image stabilizer on lower resolution settings. Plus there are a number of advanced image processing features in the X that are not available in the 8. But unless you are into photo tech details these might not be of interest.

I'm not a big fan of the iphone camera, only because I use other cameras, but the iphone X is beginning to make me think about starting to use it more, if I get one.

Verizon has not updated their web site for service for the watch 3. Maybe by Friday. I also looked for it on AT&T and nothing there either. If it's like the ipad or less, I won't be too discouraged.

I too miss 128.

Not terribly interested in the X. In fact, I might get an older model rather than the 8. Have to price it out. See what T-Mobile offers as we move to them from ATT.

But oddly, I'm now interested in the watch. Maybe. For the health monitoring. But if those apps aren't any good...

I wish my 6+ would work with T-Mobile. But no band 12.

But the older mag charger disks work with the watch 2. Just tested here this past weekend with my daughter's new watch 2. I was impressed with her wearing it in the pool Saturday. Target had a sale on them for under $200 for the watch 2 rose gold 38mm.

The watch 3 42mm has twice the memory as the 38mm too.

Apple TV, Yes. Love that prior purchases will be upgraded to 4K. I don't really get 32GB vs 64GB, is that just for storing apps?

Apple Watch Series 3, Yes. Probably the non-LTE model. I always have my phone with me.

iPhone X, Yes. Physical size is almost the same as my 7. Much bigger would have been a deal-breaker. 64GB is plenty for my needs.

Man, were the rumors all wrong!
Not so much rumors as alternate realities.
The big plus I heard that was not rumored is the arrhythmia detector.
This will appeal to you and how many others? In business, this is known as a vertical market (the same could probably be said for 3D facial recognition) and as Microsoft, Palm, Blackberry and others discovered, you can't build a platform around a vertical market and expect it to thrive.

Can you really trust something that has a battery life of less than two days to such an important function?
Very disappointed in that it is not a 4K screen but the size seems to be good.
I was taken aback by the avoidance of UHD too. OLED isn't nearly enough these days, it needs to be high resolution too. They include a camera that shoots UHD videos but don't put a display in that can show it?
Tom Cook's claim that this is the device for the next 10 years is not true, I hope. The X is hardly futuristic enough to be that.
It has several rivals (not just the Samsungs) that deliver bigger and faster. It is a new platform for Apple to be sure but not nearly the basis for claiming a paradigm shift. The iPhone X is the phone for the next six months or so when compared to what is available today from other vendors.

It is Tim Cook's job to make a big deal about what Apple has accomplished. Unfortunately, people are looking at the numbers versus the "experience" and Apple has never been good with numbers.

I wonder what the airlines are going to do to make sure you have your LTE watch in "airplane mode".

Don the arrhythmia detector is not part of Watch 3. It was just showing what can be done with the upcoming medical kit api for developers.

Leo Laporte was talking about that and said if they released it it would need approval from the FDA.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)