Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

I've already noticed the true tone screen on the 8+; just like my iPad Pro, it is much easier on the eyes, and a big improvement. The restore was a bit slow as it said the phone was too hot, and it paused the process. I probably should have let it sit a bit after being in a HOT truck (92 out today), but it is fine now, and everything is back.

I have one pestering issue, I use bluetooth to pair to a bike computer, which connects data from an app to a screen on my bike. The device is more than willing to pair to my old iPhone, BUT it won't see the new one. I've reset it, but think I need to pull the battery and just start fresh. Hopefully that will work.

I use bluetooth to pair to a bike computer, which connects data from an app to a screen on my bike. The device is more than willing to pair to my old iPhone, BUT it won't see the new one. I've reset it, but think I need to pull the battery and just start fresh. Hopefully that will work.
I have a Sony Bluetooth speaker I use with my 4K Joey when the TV is off. I paired it with my iPhone, too, but I have to reset the Sony if I want to pair with other devices. I wonder if your bike computer is likewise limited in the number of pairings it can maintain?

I have a Sony Bluetooth speaker I use with my 4K Joey when the TV is off. I paired it with my iPhone, too, but I have to reset the Sony if I want to pair with other devices. I wonder if your bike computer is likewise limited in the number of pairings it can maintain?

I'm thinking it is, but getting it to reset it proving difficult. I'll pull the battery tomorrow and that should work. I hope! When it works, it is great. The phone collects all the data, and the computer displays it, not quite in real time, but very close. It refreshes frequently.

Well, I figured out WHY my bluetooth bike computer (Wahoo RFLTK) won't work with the iPhone 8/plus. I used the utility software and immediately was faced with "this device does not have bluetooth 4.0" Grrrr... so even though Apple claims the phone is backward compatible with BT 4, the device must be programmed to require seeing "BT 4" and thus, it won't talk to the phone's BT radio. Sigh... I've emailed the company, but given their slow response to other issues, I don't expect much.

This one is really on the developer and not on Apple, I think.

One of the local news stations went to the Apple Store this morning to cover the release of the iPhone 8 and there were only 9 people in line.

They said it looks like the iPhone 8 is a bust.

It’s because Apple dropped the ball with the iPhone 8 by not making it at least an OLED screen like the X is. Partly why so few showed up for it . I saw another launch for the 8 in another city and they had a lot in line.

I think most who were ready for the upgrade either ordered and picked them up or are into that latest thing Apple and are waiting for the X. With so many skews now it's no wonder that most Apple stores ran out yesterday. Some unpopular models can still be ordered for pickup the end of the week here. Other stores like Best Buy sold out everywhere here and now the store pickup for most models is Oct 13th.

When I was in Friday, it was almost all pickups with a few walk-ins. I haven't seen the lines here since the iphone 5.

Since I don't go to Apple store very often, I can never figure out what all those people are doing just hanging out playing with the demos. It's so crowded they have two cops at the door because the fire marshal sets the limit on the number of people allowed in. Most days it seems the store was at occupancy maximum. By comparison, those who go to pickup or buy off the shelf are in the vast minority.

As I left Friday, I walked past the Microsoft store about a block away. Same size store with only 5 people in there.

And where exactly does it count? The chips in the 8/8+/X are top notch.
But that's the point. The X is no more powerful than the 8 or 8+ and none of them appears as powerful as the Snapdragon 835. If you're going to claim leadership, you need to offer at least one feature that is decidedly "industry leading" and I don't think 3D facial recognition counts for a whole lot in the scope of wireless phones.

Grrrr... so even though Apple claims the phone is backward compatible with BT 4, the device must be programmed to require seeing "BT 4" and thus, it won't talk to the phone's BT radio.
[...]
This one is really on the developer and not on Apple, I think.
How is Bluetooth compatibility the responsibility of the app? That seems like a system-level issue to me.

But that's the point. The X is no more powerful than the 8 or 8+ and none of them appears as powerful as the Snapdragon 835. If you're going to claim leadership, you need to offer at least one feature that is decidedly "industry leading" and I don't think 3D facial recognition counts for a whole lot in the scope of wireless phones.

Please show me where you’re seeing none of them appear as powerful as the 835. Everything I’ve read about benchmarks shows the A11 blowing the 835 out of the water.

Everything I’ve read about benchmarks shows the A11 blowing the 835 out of the water.
I haven't seen anything other than claims that the A11 Bionic is faster. The Geekbench benchmark showed that the A11 was no where near the Apple-claimed 70% faster than the A10X (it rated only 51% faster in the multi-core).

I guess we should wait for someone to do a head-to-head comparison using a practical application rather than extrapolating based on marketroid ravings, theories and benchmarks run on old OS versions.

One issue I’m having with the iPhone 8 is when I have the volume on mute, when texts come through there’s still sound. Do you have to actually mute the conversation now?

I'll start a new thread for those who are into the "mine is faster than yours" debate. :)

One issue I’m having with the iPhone 8 is when I have the volume on mute, when texts come through there’s still sound.
Every week I learn about something different that if you turn it off, it isn't really off.

I suppose it matters whether or not you've allowed some other form of notification.

One issue I’m having with the iPhone 8 is when I have the volume on mute, when texts come through there’s still sound. Do you have to actually mute the conversation now?

There is a switch above the volume button on iPhones. You slide it down so the red is showing to put the phone in vibrate mode. The phone will vibrate when you do it. The volume buttons are for media volume.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts