Will you pay a premium for an iPhone 8 (X)?

Given that Apple hasn't released a standard pixel matrix since the iPhone 3GS (480x320), be glad Sony wasn't afraid to go there as Apple chooses some really funky matrices. The one saving grace is that the + phones are at least a 16:9 aspect ratio (everything needing to be upconverted by 15%). A movie on the iPhone X seems likely to be a smaller image dimensionally than it is on the + models due to the unusual ratio (and of course the notch being wasted).

The Ultimate Guide To iPhone Resolutions

This is true except for the + model, at least it is standard on the 6+. 1080x1920. From what I understand the X can do 16x9 full frame of the movie but the screen is smaller to squeeze the vertical into the smaller form factor. This puts pillers left and right of the screen. I see your link also claims true 16x9 on all the plus models.
The other poor design in the X is the stereo speakers being both left and right at the bottom or right side ( in horizontal ) of the phone. Sony got it right as their tiny speakers are left and right of the screen. Of course for legitimate stereo on the X you should use the airpods and then the stereo will be proper.

Besides Don, how many people actually watch movies or TV on their phones?
Actually, I watch more You Tube content than movies. Most of what I watch is in 16x9 and lots in 4K now. Looks really great on the Sony vs. my iphone6+ The Sony only does 4K when the inbound is in 4K. If not then the screen defaults to 1080x1920 on the 4K pixel LCD. They did that to save battery as opposed to upscaling all the HD content to 4K. I'm not sure how they actually did that. The main use I do with the Sony is to view 360VR 3D in my VR goggles.

Besides Don, how many people actually watch movies or TV on their phones? Complete non-issue for me anyway.

I'll be upgrading my 8 to whatever the follow-on to the X is a year from now.

Agreed. The iPhone is not primarily a video watching device for me. I never watch anything more than short clips that were shared on social media through it. I don't care at all that its aspect ratio doesn't match my TV.

Edit: I actually appreciate the way it is designed. I am someone who wanted the larger screen from the + phones but don't want to put a device of that size in my pocket on a daily basis. The X gives me the best of both worlds. It's an 8.8" screen in a device about the same size as the non-+ iPhones. They couldn't have made it 16x9 without making the phone wider.

I'm going to try to order the X in the morning. I wonder how many are allocated to the providers (e.g. Verizon). I was planning to order directly through them although now that the "free" upgrades are gone I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. Last time I got a new phone was the iPhone 6 that I"m still using and it was "free" (I think it was actually reduced in price because it was more than the free phones you could order) with a 2 year commitment. Since you have to pay full price these days is there any advantage to ordering through Verizon over Apple (or vice versa)?

I'm going to try to order the X in the morning. I wonder how many are allocated to the providers (e.g. Verizon). I was planning to order directly through them although now that the "free" upgrades are gone I guess it doesn't really matter anymore. Last time I got a new phone was the iPhone 6 that I"m still using and it was "free" (I think it was actually reduced in price because it was more than the free phones you could order) with a 2 year commitment. Since you have to pay full price these days is there any advantage to ordering through Verizon over Apple (or vice versa)?

I was not happy when Verizon did away with the ability to upgrade by extending your contract either. For the iPhone I think it usually cost me $200 with a 2 year contract extension unless they happened to be running some kind of special for cheaper upgrades at the time.

I have to admit, the current upgrade model actually saves me money though. There is sticker shock when you see that you are spending $1000 on a phone but my cell phone plan has come down quite a bit from what I used to pay for minutes and a data plan. I used to pay about $30 per line every month for data alone. Now they charge $20 per line each month for unlimited minutes and texts and everyone shares a data plan.

It doesn't hurt that they finance the phones at 0% interest either. Maybe it would sting a bit more if I upgraded my devices more often but all 5 of our lines have been off of a device payment plan for a long time. Two of them have been paid off for about 2 years and the other 3 have never been on a payment plan since Verizon switched to that model. My X will be the only device on payment plan going forward and my iPhone 6 will be handed down to one of the people who is currently using my old iPhone 5.

As for your other question, I don't think it matters where Verizon customers buy their iPhones. They are the same price and they come unlocked whether you buy them from Verizon or Apple directly. Apple gives you an option to roll Apple Care into your monthly payment if you want for a bit more money but I have never found it necessary to pay for Apple Care. The main reason I buy directly from Apple is because I find it much easier to pre-order through the Apple Store app than it is to try to deal with Verizon's website when it is under heavy load. If you are waiting until tomorrow morning this may not even be an issue though.

I know some of the other carriers do sell their iPhones locked to that carrier. If you want to get around that you can pay full retail from the Apple Store or choose the Apple Upgrade Program with Apple Care included to get an unlocked phone. This will cost you a few more dollars per month than going with the option that doesn't include Apple Care but gives you a phone locked to your carrier.

Reactions: lakebum431
I believe Apple will provide an unlocked phone. Verizon won't.

According to this article Verizon doesn't lock their LTE phones. The other providers do but you can have them unlocked after a set period of time. For Verizon customers it shouldn't matter whether it is bought from Apple or Verizon. It will be unlocked.

The other providers are locked when you buy from both Apple and the Provider if you do the cheaper carrier payment plan. They only come unlocked if you do the Apple Upgrade Program payment plan or buy at full retail price.

How to buy an iPhone X Unlocked

We do not lock most phones or tablets that are activated with our postpay service, either during or after the term of your service contract or Device Payment Plan installment sales agreement.

We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.

Thanks, that is helpful. Anyone know if the providers get a certain allotment of phones? I have a feeling they are going to "sell out" before I get to ordering in the AM. (I'm not getting up at 3AM eastern to order).

Well then, I guess you don't REALLY want one!
;)

You could order from more than one source, and then cancel or resell.

Reactions: lakebum431
Reservations started X minutes late! :D

I've got my reservation number, but Apple was unable to reach AT&T...

Last edited:
When we’re able to reach the carrier systems we will email you.
The email will include instructions to complete your order as well as the return link.
You will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to return to the Apple Online store to proceed with your order. If you do not complete your purchase within 24 hours, your reservation will be canceled.

I just got my preorder in on the silver iPhone X 64GB. I tried to use the Apple Store app at first like I have in the past but I kept getting an error saying they couldn’t locate my Verizon account info.

I ended up switching over to Verizon’s website and everything went smoothly. Even with the delay of messing with the Apple Store app first my order confirmation says it will be delivered on the launch date of November 3rd. The Apple Store app said the 64GB silver model that I wanted would not ship for 2 weeks the last time I tried before switching over so it seems like ordering through Verizon was the better choice. The Apple Store did still have the black 64GB model available for day one shipping last time I looked.

Hopefully everyone else had similar luck.

I've got the reservation number, but I have no idea when mine will be delivered.

All models are now unavailable to order from Apple at this point. I guess the expression “You snooze, you lose” is extremely apt for the new iPhone ordering process. :)

Reactions: navychop
All models are now unavailable to order from Apple at this point. I guess the expression “You snooze, you lose” is extremely apt for the new iPhone ordering process. :)

I just checked out of curiosity even though I got my order in last night. When I select Verizon as the carrier on Apple.com it gives me the option to buy both 64GB and 256GB in both colors. Of course, it does say that it won't ship for 5-6 weeks but it looks like you can still order, at least if you are a Verizon customer.

Now is the "shortage" due to low supplies, higher demand than some pundits claimed, or Apple Marketing at work?

My money is on low supply. The average iPhone user, I don't believe, will justify a phone that costs $50+ per month (because the average consumer does 'finance' their phones through their carrier not buy them outright).

Reactions: Ilya
I ordered this morning once I got to work. Quite a delay. Won't be delivered until "as late as December 5".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)