Windows 11

The other day, after I made one change to the BIOS, the PC offered to install W11. I thought I’d have to make an additional BIOS change.

Anyway, I let it install. My old version of Office seems to be working fine under W11.

Reactions: Foxbat and HipKat
I can’t duplicate a data CD under W11. Instructions that I Googled are wrong, even on the MS website. Have only one R/W DVD drive on my unit.

Sigh.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I can’t duplicate a data CD under W11. Instructions that I Googled are wrong, even on the MS website. Have only one R/W DVD drive on my unit.
Did you make an iso image of the CD and then burn it again to the CDR?

Well. Did the update on an Asus laptop. Didn't meet the hw requirements even though Windows Update readied it for it.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
12.0 GB (11.7 GB usable)
Intel/Nvidia graphics
Has Secure boot (disabled for install)
1 TB Crucial SSD
Used Acronis to clone the drive to my server. Whoever says backups take "a few minutes" might be missing a few things like application data, Edge, Chrome, Firefox bookmarks and credential stores. Things like Thunderbird profile, account passwords. Downloaded files. All that stuff. Hours boys. Hours. With an Ethernet cable.
An external drive would have been just about as slow.
Probably should have just pulled the SSD and hooked it into the server, huh!

Used the Rufus method. It mods the image to bypass the requirements. It "sorta" bypasses the stupid Microsoft account login if you use test@test.com as an email.
Burned an 8 GB USB. Disabled Secure Boot in UEFI.
Booted off of it. Asus lappys use the <esc> key right after power on to select the USB.
So it installed. "Minutes"? More like 20.
Custom install. Delete all partitions.
Let it go. It installed and was up at the preliminary setup screens. Got through those. Local account.

It was activated already. Not bad for a pc not meeting the requirements.
Installed the Crucial Storage Executive application. Optimized the SSD for performance.
Previously installing it after updates, a pile of must-have applications. It crashed the system cold.
So what better time to check, right? Well....success. A few cold boots and the pc is stable.

Next. Auto login. No control userpasswords2 option to disable having to enter a password on startup.
Quick registry edit (and a Google to refresh the steps). PC boots up to a desktop.
Power options to keep the display on more than a few minutes.
Shoved the taskbar to the left where it belongs.
Another couple of registry edits to disable password entry on opening the lid, waking from sleep. Both pains in the butt!
Another registry edit to restore the classic context menu. Windows 11 sucks in that. I just want to use 7 Zip w/o clicking on "more" every stinking time I rt. click.

Themes settings to add all the normal My Computer, user files, network, control panel to the desktop.
Device manager showing a buttload of unknown devices. Restored to a single right click on My Computer to get to that after the context menu tweak.
Hit up Windows Update. Surprisingly it was functional as opposed to the "might not work with a modded install".
Did all the preliminary updates and reboots.
During the reboots the display went a bit nuts. Like the cable was loose on it. Glitching. A cold boot fixed that.
More update stages. Finally with those out of the way. Did the hardware updates in the "oh, it's down there!" menu.
All done, still a few mystical devices now working. Things like keyboard backlight not working, track pad gestures not playing nice.
Device manager, funky devices, hardware id's copied and Googled. Hit the Asus drivers page. Intel Thermal Management driver didn't work. Found an HP driver that did.
Finally. No more bang....!....marks in dev. mgr.

Probably a few more instinct, seat of the pants tweaks you think nothing about when you do this crap all of the time for customers.
Not a big believer in a simple upgrade to a new OS. Especially when the existing one is cluttered. This is my daily pc.
Some things like enabling function discovery protocols in services. To be able to see other networked computers on my LAN. Enabling Windows components, SMB, to see networked Linux pc's and them to see me.
So far, so good. A bit longer than a few minutes though. And no where even done restoring documents and such.
Yeah!

Well. Did the update on an Asus laptop. Didn't meet the hw requirements even though Windows Update readied it for it.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
12.0 GB (11.7 GB usable)
Intel/Nvidia graphics
Has Secure boot (disabled for install)
1 TB Crucial SSD
Used Acronis to clone the drive to my server. Whoever says backups take "a few minutes" might be missing a few things like application data, Edge, Chrome, Firefox bookmarks and credential stores. Things like Thunderbird profile, account passwords. Downloaded files. All that stuff. Hours boys. Hours. With an Ethernet cable.
An external drive would have been just about as slow.
Probably should have just pulled the SSD and hooked it into the server, huh!

Used the Rufus method. It mods the image to bypass the requirements. It "sorta" bypasses the stupid Microsoft account login if you use test@test.com as an email.
Burned an 8 GB USB. Disabled Secure Boot in UEFI.
Booted off of it. Asus lappys use the <esc> key right after power on to select the USB.
So it installed. "Minutes"? More like 20.
Custom install. Delete all partitions.
Let it go. It installed and was up at the preliminary setup screens. Got through those. Local account.

It was activated already. Not bad for a pc not meeting the requirements.
Installed the Crucial Storage Executive application. Optimized the SSD for performance.
Previously installing it after updates, a pile of must-have applications. It crashed the system cold.
So what better time to check, right? Well....success. A few cold boots and the pc is stable.

Next. Auto login. No control userpasswords2 option to disable having to enter a password on startup.
Quick registry edit (and a Google to refresh the steps). PC boots up to a desktop.
Power options to keep the display on more than a few minutes.
Shoved the taskbar to the left where it belongs.
Another couple of registry edits to disable password entry on opening the lid, waking from sleep. Both pains in the butt!
Another registry edit to restore the classic context menu. Windows 11 sucks in that. I just want to use 7 Zip w/o clicking on "more" every stinking time I rt. click.

Themes settings to add all the normal My Computer, user files, network, control panel to the desktop.
Device manager showing a buttload of unknown devices. Restored to a single right click on My Computer to get to that after the context menu tweak.
Hit up Windows Update. Surprisingly it was functional as opposed to the "might not work with a modded install".
Did all the preliminary updates and reboots.
During the reboots the display went a bit nuts. Like the cable was loose on it. Glitching. A cold boot fixed that.
More update stages. Finally with those out of the way. Did the hardware updates in the "oh, it's down there!" menu.
All done, still a few mystical devices now working. Things like keyboard backlight not working, track pad gestures not playing nice.
Device manager, funky devices, hardware id's copied and Googled. Hit the Asus drivers page. Intel Thermal Management driver didn't work. Found an HP driver that did.
Finally. No more bang....!....marks in dev. mgr.

Probably a few more instinct, seat of the pants tweaks you think nothing about when you do this crap all of the time for customers.
Not a big believer in a simple upgrade to a new OS. Especially when the existing one is cluttered. This is my daily pc.
Some things like enabling function discovery protocols in services. To be able to see other networked computers on my LAN. Enabling Windows components, SMB, to see networked Linux pc's and them to see me.
So far, so good. A bit longer than a few minutes though. And no where even done restoring documents and such.
Yeah!
You know, I've been on Linux (Arch) for a few years now but I reboot into Windows occasionally for various things I can only do in Windows and I keep it fully updated.
It's not as bad as it used to be and there are a lot of gains in productivity and how everything works together.
I could see reasons why anyone would use it now whereas in the past I implored people to get away from MS.

You know, I've been on Linux (Arch) for a few years now but I reboot into Windows occasionally for various things I can only do in Windows and I keep it fully updated.
It's not as bad as it used to be and there are a lot of gains in productivity and how everything works together.
I could see reasons why anyone would use it now whereas in the past I implored people to get away from MS.
It's late and just read your reply. For an os that has been refined over the years. Your implored urges seem a bit out there. People want to turn on a box and use it. The biggest pita in linux is getting a stinking shortcut to an application on the desktop just to use it. I like the package store but you never know if a: you have to configure them with terminal and b: if they are in fact terminal only and c: where the hell is it after you installed it?. Who wants to install applications and then spend a ton of time getting them to work. I didn't mean to word it like that.
My mainstay usage is electronics related. Applications that interface with my bench equipment. Amateur radio programs. Easily moving files across my LAN. And generally cluttering my desktop with a mess of programs here and there. Youtube, listening to some tunes, Interfacing my Focusrite DAC to the stereo. Cast to my TV wirelessly. Crap like that.
Sure 'nix has its uses. But to insist the everyday user who makes money using computers, or just for personal purposes 'has' to use it. Because it's better. You need a big and tall soap box to convince me of that.
Unless you're talking web servers, networking platforms. Niche but very important backbone uses many never know (nor care) exist. Plus the job market screaming Excel and Office fluidity. Never Libre Office. Adobe applications and such. I dunno. The work force uses Windows. Graphics uses Mac (shuddering), and there goes another bite out of "your apple".
The first thing you learn is file management. "A place for your stuff", an old Iomega password for years.
If I remember correctly. Creating a subdirectory and being able to read/write to it needed a string of terminal commands just to see it over a network. I've borked a 'nix install just by performing updates suggested by the package manager. Literal coup de gras. Why? And I don't really want to have to tar zxvf anything. Just right click and extract to wherever I wanna'. Right? I could go on. But that's unfair. It just ain't for me. Don't have, never wanted to take the time to be fluid with it. The only coolest thing of Linux is Compiz. It will blow anyone's mind away.
IF you have the right gpu and can get the right drivers. Not from Nvidia of course. But still....
Kind of like Enigma 2. Many versions of the core "idea". Built from the same guts. But try a new version out and go grab a six pack and a jack link from the store and the wifey is livid when you come home because she can't switch to a different sat. or even change a channel because some yaznook decides that the remote doesn't have to , nor should it work like the TV remote does.Except for the power and volume buttons. I mean. Who can screw that up, right? Take this all with levity. Linux, schminux.

• Wow
Reactions: TRG
Your implored urges seem a bit out there. People want to turn on a box and use it. The biggest pita in linux is getting a stinking shortcut to an application on the desktop just to use it. I like the package store but you never know if a: you have to configure them with terminal and b: if they are in fact terminal only and c: where the hell is it after you installed it?. Who wants to install applications and then spend a ton of time getting them to work. I didn't mean to word it like that.
Arch Linux is clearly not for casual users. Mint is a much better choice if you want a pain-free experience.

I use Debian which does most of the heavy lifting without user intervention or command line fuss.

As upgrades go, Windows 11 is not a big step beyond Windows 10 (other than being different for the sake of selling Dummies guides) and if you don't watch it closely, sometimes it jumps backward (like the recent issue with third-party start menus). Being certain where something is installed in Windows is certainly not a thing anymore. I had some trouble locating Python on my system a while back. I had no idea that it defaulted to the user's personal space. Then again, I suppose it doesn't really matter where it is as long as it works.

Reactions: HipKat and arlo
Arch Linux is clearly not for casual users. Mint is a much better choice if you want a pain-free experience.

I use Debian which does most of the heavy lifting without user intervention or command line fuss.

As upgrades go, Windows 11 is not a big step beyond Windows 10 (other than being different for the sake of selling Dummies guides) and if you don't watch it closely, sometimes it jumps backward (like the recent issue with third-party start menus). Being certain where something is installed in Windows is certainly not a thing anymore. I had some trouble locating Python on my system a while back. I had no idea that it defaulted to the user's personal space. Then again, I suppose it doesn't really matter where it is as long as it works.
Oh yeah. Some years ago at work people would run out of HDD space. Easy enough to slap in a larger drive and move documents and stuff to it. Of course you're always given the opportunity of where you wish to install programs. With Windows anyway. True though. As long as it works. Speaking of.
With a box of obsoleted peripherals like an ATI All in Wonder card. Which was a pretty damned good capture card and fm tuner (ignoring NTSC obsolescence). After Win XP, no go. Card readers dead in the H2O after XP. A PCI data logger I really liked. Dead after XP. It's no wonder that the medical and engineering field delayed put off "upgrading" to newer systems. And industrial automation had a bear of a time interfacing their customers machinery to new OS.
Linux on the other hand. Arch, MX Linux. Probably others. Can keep old hardware and a pc running. So that's a plus.

Reactions: FTA4PA
It's late and just read your reply. For an os that has been refined over the years. Your implored urges seem a bit out there. People want to turn on a box and use it. The biggest pita in linux is getting a stinking shortcut to an application on the desktop just to use it. I like the package store but you never know if a: you have to configure them with terminal and b: if they are in fact terminal only and c: where the hell is it after you installed it?. Who wants to install applications and then spend a ton of time getting them to work. I didn't mean to word it like that.
My mainstay usage is electronics related. Applications that interface with my bench equipment. Amateur radio programs. Easily moving files across my LAN. And generally cluttering my desktop with a mess of programs here and there. Youtube, listening to some tunes, Interfacing my Focusrite DAC to the stereo. Cast to my TV wirelessly. Crap like that.
Sure 'nix has its uses. But to insist the everyday user who makes money using computers, or just for personal purposes 'has' to use it. Because it's better. You need a big and tall soap box to convince me of that.
Unless you're talking web servers, networking platforms. Niche but very important backbone uses many never know (nor care) exist. Plus the job market screaming Excel and Office fluidity. Never Libre Office. Adobe applications and such. I dunno. The work force uses Windows. Graphics uses Mac (shuddering), and there goes another bite out of "your apple".
The first thing you learn is file management. "A place for your stuff", an old Iomega password for years.
If I remember correctly. Creating a subdirectory and being able to read/write to it needed a string of terminal commands just to see it over a network. I've borked a 'nix install just by performing updates suggested by the package manager. Literal coup de gras. Why? And I don't really want to have to tar zxvf anything. Just right click and extract to wherever I wanna'. Right? I could go on. But that's unfair. It just ain't for me. Don't have, never wanted to take the time to be fluid with it. The only coolest thing of Linux is Compiz. It will blow anyone's mind away.
IF you have the right gpu and can get the right drivers. Not from Nvidia of course. But still....
Kind of like Enigma 2. Many versions of the core "idea". Built from the same guts. But try a new version out and go grab a six pack and a jack link from the store and the wifey is livid when you come home because she can't switch to a different sat. or even change a channel because some yaznook decides that the remote doesn't have to , nor should it work like the TV remote does.Except for the power and volume buttons. I mean. Who can screw that up, right? Take this all with levity. Linux, schminux.
I have for as long as I remember refused to have shortcuts on my desktop.

PXL_20230311_061533462~2.jpg

That is the last thing I want to see there. As for the rest of your post, apparently, the difference between people who use Linux and the people who don't is that the people who use Linux don't really care if (or why) you don't, but most of the stuff you posted is either way outdated or just not true.
I can install a program and run it just as fast and less intrusively as I can on Windows, for example.

BTW, don't try and school me on Windows or computers in general. I started on Win 3.1 and I DID take the time to be fluid with it and every other type of technology that I use

Reactions: navychop
A few years ago I was experimenting with Linux distros, they were fine. I went back to Windows and don't regret it one bit. W11's interface is clean and simple, and it's been 100% stable. I actually enjoy using it.

I set up a mint for a job that turned out to be impossible. I’d guess it’s been two years since I’ve booted it. But with retirement, and many other pressures, I haven’t gone back. I have a minimally used W11, and at least two W PCs, and 2-3 old laptops not in use. Times change.

A few years ago I was experimenting with Linux distros, they were fine. I went back to Windows and don't regret it one bit. W11's interface is clean and simple, and it's been 100% stable. I actually enjoy using it.
That was my point, that Windows has finally achieved the point where, other than the data collecting and bloated code, it's very usable and customizable

That is the last thing I want to see there. As for the rest of your post, apparently, the difference between people who use Linux and the people who don't is that the people who use Linux don't really care if (or why) you don't, but most of the stuff you posted is either way outdated or just not true.
That argument goes both ways. Being that they're still not really finished with what was promised for Windows 11, some of what is true today may not be true after the next patch Tuesday. More than a few things have been walked back along the way and the filling out of the corners wasn't always as expected. It is hard to track the roadmap with respect to "quality updates", "moments", "new features" and new and inventive places to hide advertising (some of these are dependent on the "edition" you run) and tracking.

In the long haul, it isn't so much about the OS but the applications one wants to use and, more and more, the issues one gets tired of doing battle with. A good portion of the Windows community is still stuck with the same old "does it run Flight Simulator and 1-2-3" suitability test (perhaps replaced by web games and whatever they're calling the business suite these days).