Windows 8 OS,Tablet, New Win 8 PCs News Thread

If you go to www.windowsupgradeoffer.com and say you bought a new pc after June 2012, they'll email you a code to knock the download price to $14.99. I had signed up for some laptops I bought my older kids for their birthdays this past summer (one was actually in May, before the June date, but I said I bought it in July). I was emailed the discount codes Friday morning. Redeemed one, and successfully installed one onto a completely different pc that I had upgraded. For only $14.99/ea, I'll probably upgrade all 4 of our computers (mine, her's, and both kids).

The low price is part of their plan to aggressively get people to upgrade to Windows 8 and direct traffic to the Windows Store as a strategy against iOS. Nice what real competition will do to prices.

I'm pretty impressed with windows 8 Pro on the surface with the keyboard cover. While I love my ipad3, it often leaves me wanting to do things that ipad / Apple doesn't allow. I have never had this disappointment with windows. But I like the ipad form factor for travel. So much that for almost a year now I have not turned on my old Windows XP laptop and don't even take it with me on trips anymore. With surface and win 8 Pro, it seems to bridge the gap between the ipad closed world and the open do anything windows world. I look forward to having all my robust windows software working on the 64 bit Surface hardware, such as Firefox, Office and video editing even for 3D anywhere I go.

I've been waiting for Microsoft to come up with a bold new delivery for the business and content creation community and this seems to be it. I look forward to having one of these next year. Meanwhile, I am so much excited about this, that I just bought a few hundred shares of the MSFT stock. If it's not a big hit, at least Microsoft pays a nice dividend.

I ran the beta and jumped at the upgrade price.

I will definitely get one of the full blown tablets models with stylus. I tested one in the microsoft store and it made 0 mistakes with my scribbling. No keyboard needed and it runs anything out there.

I like the resetable mb counter on the internet connection.

Apps are essential for ease of use and they have a long way to go before catching up. But, i read there are bots to convert apps to their system so I expect a rapid build of the app library.

I've heard some say that upgrades to the engine (not interface) in Windows 8 make it worth an upgrade from 7. I haven't tried 8 and am curious as to just what these improvements are that make it superior to 7. Would appreciate an intelligent, informative response.

I've heard some say that upgrades to the engine (not interface) in Windows 8 make it worth an upgrade from 7. I haven't tried 8 and am curious as to just what these improvements are that make it superior to 7. Would appreciate an intelligent, informative response.

I posted this link in another Windows 8 thread I think:

http://arstechnica.com/information-...er-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/
Below are excerpts from the article, kinda lopped out of it for each item. If you have questions or want more information about those items, click the link and read it, there are several paragraphs after each of these items.

Playing in the sandbox

First up is sandboxing. Metro-style apps are all sandboxed: by default, each app can only read from and write to its own private storage area. If the app needs to do anything more than this—access the Pictures library, say, or connect to the network as either a client or a server—it must explicitly indicate that it needs these extra capabilities in something called a manifest. This prevents apps from being able to read each other's files, documents that you haven't explicitly granted them permission to read, and so on. This serves two purposes; it helps safeguard user privacy, instilling greater confidence in apps downloaded from the store, and it also reduces the impact of security flaws in those apps.

Power preservation

Preserving battery life is one of the key goals for Metro applications. Unlike desktop applications, Metro applications aren't in general allowed to run in the background; unless you're actively looking at a Metro application, Windows suspends it after a few seconds. If memory becomes low, Windows will quietly terminate the app. Switching back to the app, whether it was suspended or terminated, resumes it.

Tick tock

Windows 8 has a few tricks up its sleeve even for systems that don't support fancy new stuff like Connected Standby. In a move that can't have come soon enough, it gets rid of the kernel tick.

Securing memory

Software bugs are, alas, a fact of life. Some kinds of software bug can be exploited by hackers, a problem that has plagued the world of computing for literally decades. Modern operating systems therefore provide mitigations for software bugs, employing various techniques to try to make the bugs harder to exploit.

ForceASLR

Windows 8 has a feature called ForceASLR that counteracts this. When ForceASLR is enabled for a process, Windows will try to load all DLLs at a random location, even the ones that don't claim to be compatible. There are still some DLLs that can escape this randomization, however: DLLs that can only be loaded into their preferred memory spot, which lack the information required to move them around should that spot be taken. ForceASLR has two options for these DLLs; the weak option allows them to load at their preferred location anyway, the strong option simply refuses to load them entirely.

HEASLR

HEASLR, like ASLR before it, unfortunately requires applications to opt in: DLLs have to tell the system that they support HEASLR, and if they don't, they'll get the old level of randomization. And while Visual Studio defaults to enabling regular ASLR, HEASLR defaults to off, so developers will have to explicitly opt in.

Better DEP, too

Protection provided by the CPU is an important part of these exploit mitigation techniques. DEP is fundamentally a hardware feature (though Windows does have a kind of weak emulated software DEP, Windows 8 makes hardware DEP support mandatory for the first time), with the processor itself trapping attempts to execute memory that isn't marked as being executable.

Proactive defense

Windows 8 also takes steps toward eliminating access to a kernel component that has been a consistent source of trouble over the years. win32k.sys is a Windows driver that's responsible for providing core services to GUI applications; it implements portions of both USER, the Windows component that handles the creation and manipulation of windows, and GDI, Windows' ancient 2D graphics API. Once upon a time, win32k.sys didn't reside in the kernel; prior to Windows NT 4, it was a non-kernel component. However, to improve GDI performance in Windows NT 4, it got moved into the kernel, and it has remained there ever since.

Slimline memory usage

In another one of those "motivated by the needs of tablets, but useful for everyone" features, Windows 8 is designed to use less memory than its predecessors. Slightly surprisingly, one of the techniques Microsoft is using to make Windows work better on small, low-memory machines is also important for huge, high-memory servers running dozens of virtual machines: memory deduplication.

A better operating system for all

Beneath the user interface, Windows 8 is in almost all regards a more efficient, more secure, more reliable operating system. From high-speed, hibernation-powered booting to Connected Standby and a tickless kernel, it takes the solid Windows 7 foundation and makes things better.

Samsung ATIV (Tab, S and Smart PC pro) Commercial

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft is getting into the subliminal advertising game with surface rt and the new touch keyboard cover, magnetic attachment.

Last night on NCIS LA they were using surface and showed the KB being connected. It was presented without flare, but the display of the new device appeared like some futuristic new concept in a laptop. The user was seen typing on the touch pad at the same time touching the screen. A few closeups of some app showing a criminal face recognition search. Pretty cool! I mentioned to my wife, hey that's the new Surface from Microsoft! She was impressed with it but also that I recognized it. Then wanted to know if I planned on getting one. I said next year. :) .

Sent from my iPad3 using SatelliteGuys app

I posted this link in another Windows 8 thread I think:

http://arstechnica.com/information-...er-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/

Beneath the user interface, Windows 8 is in almost all regards a more efficient, more secure, more reliable operating system. From high-speed, hibernation-powered booting to Connected Standby and a tickless kernel, it takes the solid Windows 7 foundation and makes things better.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. While all of this sounds good, there's not one thing that would influence me to change. To begin with, I have no intention of buying a new laptop or tablet which still appear to be the beneficiaries of this system. And, since I built my first system in 1989, I've never had a virus or ever been hacked, and while I do understand it's possible, still not enough. My impression is that a lot of the OOOOH WOW about 8 is simply the industry pushing for something to spur sales which have been seriously lagging for some time. The industry always needs something new and earth shaking to keep the economic momentum going and in desperation will hype just about anything anymore. That wasn't needed back in the mid 90's when the internet was something to get excited about (and probably the biggest factor in our booming economy at that time - sorry Bill Clinton), but other than a couple of Apple items recently, there has been nothing spectacular to spur the industry.

After having installed windows 8 on my laptop, the Surface is looking more and more appealing to me as a tablet.

After having installed windows 8 on my laptop, the Surface is looking more and more appealing to me as a tablet.

Yeah I'm looking at one of those for myself just waiting on the Pro version to come out. I was trying to get the wife to go with a Surface but she liked the Samsungs Ativ Keyboard better.

The Windows 8 Live Tile experiment in Norway

LOL..

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts