WireLess!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
With wireless tech almost everywhere these days! just wondered why no one ever made a wireless LNB and a motor setup so you could place your dish set up anywhere without the headache of messy wires.Pretty sure it could be done but think reason it was never done is due to low demand.

Your idea could have good use for temporary installs such as us campers. Would be nice to set the dish out in the yard and relay back to the RV without wires laying around for people to trip on.
Also maybe you're going over to your buddy's house to watch the game but he doesn't have a dish. Set yours on a tripod in the yard, watch the game on the deck or house! Re-charge batteries when you get home.

(sent from campsite 72, Holiday Park, Traverse City Mi. where I have no FTA)

Found this type of device at ANGA Cable 2011 that I had posted up on the thread last month. Probably as close as we will get to "wireless" dish technology.....

With my Engieering Fundamentals hat on, I don't see it as impossible, just not cheap, at least without a consumer scale system.

First, it would need powered, maybe by a coax or Class 2 power wiring. You would feed it 24 volts at a few amps.

The easier way is to do what SWiM does, which is to transmit a small portion of satellite spectrum, selected by the receiver over a control channel.
The control channel would be something like 433 Mhz. It does not need much bandwidth. The signal channel might be 1.2 Ghz, or some other adequate unlicensed band above 900 Mhz. The receiver would need an interface and software to run the control channel, and intellegence to tune the RF frequency the transmitter sends it.

Harder would be something which tunes the carrier directly at or near the dish, and transmits the bitstream in a wireless friendly format (something like COFDM or 8VSB), or even of IP with WiFi.

Much easier, is to have the full receiver installed where coax can be ran to, and use wireles to send its A/V to a TV, and a control channel which just relays the IR remote signal. Such a scheme can be realized with existing affordable consumer hardware.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)