WSI 6Foot No Signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Build a customized mount, using BSC 621-2D C/Ku LNB, skew at 0, set freq to 5150, LNB power 0N. Openbox S10, Used the Dishpointer app
and no matter where I aim, signal never changed from 45% (quality: 0%). Then purchased a WS signal meter (only SAT store in the area, and it was a waste of $$$).

Any suggestions?

Cheers, K

Yeah, find another c-band dish within a couple miles from you, and measure their angles. Then see if you match.

Otherwise you haven't given enough information to even hazzard a guess as to what's going on.

1: What is your True south (nearest sat)
2: Are you sure the cable is hooked to the c-band lnb, (5150) and not the KU band (10600 with 22k ON) one? Or are you using an external switch also? If so, are you picking the right connection for c-band?

3: What's your settings in the antenna menu, etc, etc, etc....

More you give us, the more we can better speculate the answer.

A few pics of everything with the above would help even more...

Build a customized mount, using BSC 621-2D C/Ku LNB, skew at 0, set freq to 5150, LNB power 0N. Openbox S10, Used the Dishpointer app
and no matter where I aim, signal never changed from 45% (quality: 0%). Then purchased a WS signal meter (only SAT store in the area, and it was a waste of $$$).

Any suggestions?

Cheers, K

First, remove the C/KU lnb and try locking your satellite of choice with a C-Band only LNB. Make sure your Elevation and Declination angles are set correctly. You can look at this thread here on how to setup the WSI 6ft bargain special. Do you have any photos of your setup?

@ Prime: True south would be 72w. Running about 30 ft of RG6 directly from the C* output (box on the side of the LNB) to the receiver.
IIRC: Menu--> Antenna Setup--> Sat AMC6, Freq 5150, 22k OFF, Disq1.1 off, motor type: off. LNB power On.

Cheers, K

Forget 72W for c-band for now, until your dish is for sure up and running. There's next to nothing on it, and what's there is hard for a 6 footer to get. Your settings are good. Switch to AMC 9 at 83W, and go for Altavisión at 3817 V tp 6 2879-3/4 201

Good signal, and you should be able to pick it up easily with your 6 footer.

Last edited:
I am using one of those cheap $10 meter and yes they do work, but you have to be in the vicinity of a satellite to pick up any signal and it does not matter if you using a cheap or more expesive meter or a receiver.
I have set up 3 satellites with my el cheapo meter already without any problems and I love it because I can see the needle move before a receiver could pick a signal up.
If you are still aiming at 72W then your little box ( c-band coax connection) should be at about the 4 o'clock position.
Also where the KU connector is there is a arrow, this arrow should show to the 9 o'clock position.
On my 7 1/2 foot dish I had this same LNBF stick out the back side of scalar toward dish about 1/2 -3/4 inch for best reception.

I agree with other member that 72w is not the best satellite to start with.
If you come over to 83w like primestar31 suggested make sure your skew and elevation will match that satellite.
Recheck your skew and elevation for that satellite again.
Now move your dish very very very slow side to side if you use the meter.
If you use your receiver go about 1/4 inch at the dish side ( dish lip) not the pole then stop for about 10sec or longer than repeat...receivers are slower to pick up any signal.
Now adjust your elevation up or down a little bit 1/4 inch or less and repeat your left and right motion.
Eventually you will find a signal........Take your time and remember to move your dish a little bit at a time.
After you get a signal do a blindscan and then check the channels with lyngsa,com to see what satellite you are aiming at.

True south and the closest true south satellite.
I am guessing that you use a motorized dish since you are aiming at the most true south satellite.
Lets say according to your location your true south is at 78W, but your closest true south satellite is 72w then you have a problem.
You will be 6 degrees off by aiming at 72w, also your elevation will not be right for a motorized dish since you are not aiming at true south, and with it your satellite dish arc will be off also. But all of this can be adjusted at a later time.

For now just concentrate to get any signal.

Success! Locked on to 99W. Lifted the dish by another 2 feet and voila! The allignment is still way off but now I have comfirmation it works so the next step it is a permanent install. Thanks all for your help! Now the fun begins by putting together this WSI polar mount without losing my mind.

Cheers, K

PS- When running a blind scan, i didnt know where I was so I selected 89w for the heck of it.

results.jpg

hi kraven you not in the arck you need to use a very good meter first would be easy to look for ku on amc 6 am doing the same thing the way this work easy put a small tv outside let me give you this frequency on amc 6 72w you wil get full signal on nbc mux 12055 v 6890 signal there 95 percent am on it evryday this is where you need to fucus on ku for now after you can do c band ku is below c band also you need tu turn the lnb like a clock to get get signal strenght most people use amc 6 for true south thats what their use amc 6 72w take it slow by puting elevation up and donw cannot be too high depend where you are trheres too thing very important elevation and tun the lnb like a clock slowly would be better if you can do ku you would have focus later

Let me clarify... the dish was mounted 3 feet off the ground (I just needed to prove to the spouse a signal would come in). I determined the dish wasn't clearing the shrubs, so I lifted the base by another 2 feet. Once it was elevated, getting a decent signal was easy.

Cheers, K

2 feet! In satellite dish aiming, that's like the difference of being pointed at the ground, OR the MOON! lol

Congratulations!

Let me clarify... the dish was mounted 3 feet off the ground (I just needed to prove to the spouse a signal would come in). I determined the dish wasn't clearing the shrubs, so I lifted the base by another 2 feet. Once it was elevated, getting a decent signal was easy.

Cheers, K

Ok, that sounds a whole lot better! Either way, it's a good feeling when you get those first signals, isn't it? Everything else is gravy once you KNOW it can work.

kraven have you try the frequency i give to you if you run also a actuator please fucus on the west side very important if you dont make good a adjustement dish can fall of of the mount dont squeeze too much untill you sure you bind is safety polar mount can broke all that very important this part all the good sat a least ten degrees each depend its like rolling your tongue whend you in arc loosing screw make perfect aligment on the elevation you cant go to fast just slowy roll it the elevation up donw donw up good luck

@Primestar--> yep.. finding your first signal is almost as sweet as your first.... I forgot her name.
@ Bri--> The dish is back in pieces. Going to concentrate on the polar mount this weekend and aim for a permanent installation the following weekend.

Cheers, K

Attachments

• polar_mount_pic.jpg
    polar_mount_pic.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 150
hi kraven i was looking at you atuator mount you did not add the swivel in the head of your actuator their usually come with two one for the one has two screew

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)