X2 Premium Mini HD Review

Just pointing out a fact about promoting and supporting a company that supports theft of service.... Sorry, moving on....
No, I do not want to support a company that offers such a product.

Thank you for letting me know. I will not post anything more about the X2.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, there are many great receivers out there that are built or distributed by less than legit companies. No reason to avoid finding or talking about a great FTA receiver, but also be aware of who you are dealing with and promoting.

I know that many if not most manufacturers that we deal with are also turning a quick buck on the "wink, wink, nod, nod" products, but X2 is not a manufacturer and as a distributor/reseller and importing into North America, they know exactly what they are selling and stealing. :(

I was talking about YouTube on an X2 Premium in post #10, and then in post #11 I see Titanium posting a link to an Amazon ad for a different product named X10 that does Turbo 8PSK.

If anyone is 'promoting theft of service', it certainly isn't me. I would not have even been aware of the X10 if Titanium hadn't posted a link to the ad.

Reactions: migold and Titanium
Sorry, never meant to imply that you were promoting theft of service. Just wanted folks reading a review about a X2 product to know the facts about the company distributing a product and support recommended by members on this site.

New folks aren't always aware of or research the history that some of us long-timers know... :)

Reactions: fred555
At one time we did not allow anyone to discuss anything about X2 or any of their products on this board. They are in business for one reason, and as Brian said they know what they are doing.
However as long as every one keeps it straight FTA, then I have been allowing it. Lots of legit receivers out there that someone figures out and hacks up a firmware for stealing;would be hard to block talk of every FTA receiver.

No worries N6BY, Brian(Titanium) just wanted everyone to be aware.

Reactions: fred555
I am sort of astonished that Amazon would allow this product to be sold.
There are even open references to I K S (an illegal activity) in the Q&A section.
I would like to hear more in another thread on why Amazon would sell this product, or a PM
if that is more appropriate.

Amazon is a bit odd in this sense and as silly as it sounds, they may not know. There was a issue I had with software that was being sold on Amazon illegally and when I brought it to their attention, within a hour you could not buy it on Amazon anymore. That was a least two years ago and that software has not been on Amazon for sale illegally since.

I don't make receivers or know all the ins and outs of them, so it's not enough up my alley to contact Amazon about X2 stuff. I don't even know what Turbo 8PSK is and only have a general idea of IKS, but if someone who is in the business and can explain to them the problem with the X10 contacts them, Amazon very well may stop selling it.

Mine arrived earlier this week from Amazon. Spent little time with it but so far I'm very impressed.
I currently have just two issues...YouTube (because of yet another format change) and I can't stream HD channels to my Android tablet. Standard channels stream to it perfectly and I like that it acts as another independent receiver allowing different channels to be selected and viewed on the tablet vs what is being played on the TV.
I'm looking forward to playing around with it a lot more this weekend. I think it's going to be a good upgrade for my horrible, evil and despicable SonicView 360 Elite that's still running flawless after 5 years.
And for those who have issues over what else my X2 is capable of, it's your lucky day...I'll allow you to take on the full share of Dudley Do Right guilt!

Reactions: N6BY and spongella
Great reviews and caveats guys, just ordered one as a second rcvr for my mini-BUD, for FTA use only, not interested in the wireless adapter and YouTube stuff, have my ROKU for that. Like the idea of it being so small, great for portable use.

Just think, a few years ago STBs were the size of DVD players, 3-4 times the cost, with a fraction of the options STBs have today. Now we have "peel and stick" receivers that come in basic black and wood-grain; amazing.

Truly a good time to be living.

Last edited:
Reactions: N6BY
I'm not sure about the other than "equipment review" posts on this unit. seems like it would be a subject just left alone IMO as far as anything other than what this site promotes which is strictly FTA. Sort of like saying a firearm manufacturer should be boycotted due to the fact some people misuse their product...Please don't misunderstand my opinion here...Just saying.

So far I really like this box. So much that I'm becoming deprived of sleep.

Currently just one gripe and that's audio sync. At times, it starts out perfect and then after several minutes it gets slightly out of sync (words just don't quite line up with lips). Sometimes it'll eventually come back on its own or if I change the channel and switch right back it will always be in perfect sync again. Anyone else noticing this? Not the broadcast as it happens on any channel and on any bird.
Sent a message to X2 and they replied asking for my order number and purchase date, so there actually seems to be some form of customer service.

Back to my previous post...I think the blank screen on my tablet when trying to stream HD channels is simply due to my tablet not supporting 1080. Also noticed youtube no longer works at all on my smart Sony 3D blu ray player and it's gotten goofy/buggy with both my Logitech Revues but still working.

Youtube changes formats too often for me to waste time with them anymore. I ordered an X2 Mini Premium off that auction site. I'm really interested to see if it locks difficult transponders as well as has been commented on here.

I was just looking through the manual PDF and it appears this has a built-in manual clock?

Last edited:
Few updates:

I have a remote switch that kills the power to my entire home theater when not in use and the clock settings stay accurate even with no power. You do need to set the correct time zone for your area in the auto settings, otherwise you'll be off by whatever the default area is.

USALS has been spot on perfect. Blind scans are reasonably quick but I found that it sometimes takes a second blind scan to pick up a few stragglers, especially on something like Galaxy 19.
You can fine tune Left and Right under DiSEqC1.2.
The remotes are really impressive. Both have a nice layout and the keys have clicky tactile feel. Best of all, they work no matter what direction I point them...so good you'd think they're bluetooth.

An update came out on June 5th and YouTube now works great. There are over a dozen categories and the search function works well. It also supports up to 1080. It does NOT support personal YouTube/Google accounts.
I REALLY like the Movies and Internet TV. I thought the internet portion of this box would be a gimmick, but I have to say my Rokus are collecting dust.

The wifi update worked flawless; however, it does not tell you if a new update is available and all your settings will be gone after the update!
The pdf manual is very basic and doesn't mention how to back up anything.

To back up:
Plug in a USB stick
Select the External Device icon
Select USB Upgrade
Upgrade Type
...select --> Dump
Choose a File Path you want and then select Start

To restore your settings after updating:
External Device icon again
USB Upgrade
Upgrade Type
...select -->USB Upgrade
Section
...select --> USER.............IF YOU SELECT ALL, YOU'LL PUT THE OLD FIRMWARE BACK ON!
Select the File Path you chose earlier and select Start

I found another FTA site where someone has been uploading all the older firmware bin files. Seems X2 is updating the mini every 4 to 6 weeks.
I also noticed that X2 has quite a few different model STBs and LNBs dating back several years so they don't appear to be a fly by night company.
They also got back to me on the audio sync issue and asked me to send them a short video. I did notice it only happens on SD mpeg-2 broadcasts and it varies just slightly to where I can't even set a fixed delay on my receiver to compensate. Anything HD is perfect.

Yikes, lightning fast delivery. I ordered one from Kentucky on the 6th and had it in PA on the 9th. They Fedexed it to my local post office who delivered it. So far I like it. The small amount of scanning I've done has been very fast. One thing I noticed is a "feature" for piggy-backers. Until I get a dedicated FTA dish installed later this Summer I'm piggy-backing off a 4DTV. With other boxes I would set the H or V polarity on the 4DTV then select H or V on the STB sat setup menu and scan. With this unit I set H or V on the 4DTV but when in the sat setup menu in the X2 the polarity is greyed out. So how do you select which polarity to scan? Highlight the transponder list and arrow right until a transponder with matching polarity is selected then scan. Repeat for the opposite polarity.

There were audio issues on a couple of transponders in that the pic was great but no sound. The fix was to press the Audio button and reset every channel from Left Channel to Stereo (not sure why it would default to Left Channel) then down arrow and select one of three formats. The bottom choice worked best for all channels I've tried so far.

After playing with it for a couple of hours today I'm somewhat disappointed. As I mentioned right now I'm piggy-backing (or slaving) it to a 4DTV. The 4DTV is used to move the dish and set the polarity. What I found out is there appears to be no way to scan a specific polarity as with other receivers and that creates a problem. For instance if I set the 4DTV to Vertical polarity and scan with the X2 it will find a bunch of channels but wastes time scanning both V and H. Here's where the problem comes in, if I then set the 4DTV to Horizontal and scan with the X2 again it will not only find new channels but it also removes those it had previously found (V) but did not find this time (H scan). I have found no way to get it to just add the second scan without removing the earlier scan. I hope I explained that right. The less-than-robust manual is no help.

After playing with it for a couple of hours today I'm somewhat disappointed. As I mentioned right now I'm piggy-backing (or slaving) it to a 4DTV. The 4DTV is used to move the dish and set the polarity. What I found out is there appears to be no way to scan a specific polarity as with other receivers and that creates a problem. For instance if I set the 4DTV to Vertical polarity and scan with the X2 it will find a bunch of channels but wastes time scanning both V and H. Here's where the problem comes in, if I then set the 4DTV to Horizontal and scan with the X2 again it will not only find new channels but it also removes those it had previously found (V) but did not find this time (H scan). I have found no way to get it to just add the second scan without removing the earlier scan. I hope I explained that right. The less-than-robust manual is no help.

maybe a editor, if they have one available for this receiver? It'd be a pain to do it all manually, but better than nothing. I know for the original X2 there was a editor, it was buggy though, when I used it.

Well it's back in the box for now until I get that dedicated dish installed. A couple of issues, no matter what settings I used it would loose the clock every time it was put on standby making the clock worthless. If I set it manually it lost the settings; if I set it to auto it lost the settings; if I set the clock manually and then selected auto it lost the settings when set to standby.

Issue 2 is a bit weird. It scans beautifully on C-band (LO 5150). However Ku was another story. Now keep in mind this is slaved to a 4DTV that moves the dish and controls the polarity. the LO for Ku is 10750. All three of my other boxes scan fine at 10750, this unit will not. It defaults to Universal (9750/10600) so you need to select the LO manually for each satellite (What a pain). With the LO set to 10750 it will not lock a single channel. After a lot of experimenting I found out it will scan some, but not nearly all, channels if I set the LO to 10600 which is the setting for a Universal and yes, the DiSEqC settings were set correctly. It would be nice if this had a setup screen where you could set global defaults for your system instead of having to set them individually for every satellite. So for now the MicroHD is back in place and working fine.

Not sure why you're having clock issues. Mine has been off (literally unplugged) for the last 40 hours and my time and date are spot on.

As I mentioned above, did you set your time zone and summer time settings? If not, it will NEVER be correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)